The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 19, 2006, 06:02 PM   #1
mcgiiver

Lee Sabot slugs, any good ?

Does anyone have experience with the cast your own Lee Drive slugs for rifled barrels? They are used in a normal shotgun wad as a sabot. How is accuracy with them?
Old November 19, 2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Mr. Tettnanger

I am very interested in this as well. I just bought 6 boxes of sabots to try in my new 20 gauge. I was looking thorough the Lee reloading book to get more info. The cost savings would be great! The sabots that I looked at were $11 to $20 for a box of 5. :barf:

Mr. Tettnanger
Old November 19, 2006, 10:29 PM   #3
Ruger4570

I have a Lee 1 oz mold. I actually chatted with John Lee and he said the 1 oz was a little better than the 7/8 oz. I have loaded up many and they seem to work well once you find the right WAD and powder combination for your gun. Some wads have thicker or thinner petals that will produce different results in different guns. I finally got the right loading for my Ithaca Deerslayer II and they shoot extremely well. I would say what the load is, but it is a litttle over recommendations, so I guess it is a secret...I don't need the liability.
Old November 20, 2006, 12:50 AM   #4
Crosshair

Talked to someone at the local store who casts slugs using the Lee. You do need to tweak the loads to get it working good, but he said that once you find that sweet spot you can outshoot factory loads all day. I was also told that the thicker petal wads seem to work better overall and that reduced charges seem to fare poorly. I have no idea why. All this info was told to me second hand so it is probably worth what you paid for it.