The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 15, 2018, 07:11 AM   #26
PlatinumCore16

There's a lot of people in here suggesting more/different firearms, but a couple other people have hit the nail on the head. You need to get her to a store/range. Rent a few guns, let her handle everything behind the counter. If she doesn't find something that fits, go to another store and find something different. It all comes down to fit. Also instruction. My ex didn't like my CCW because she couldn't rack the slide. I tried to teach her and she just struggled. Took her to my fav LGS and there are women behind the counter and they explained it in a way that she could understand and all of a sudden she could rack almost anything behind the shelf. She ended up with a Bersa Thunder because it fit her and she could rack the slide very easily, even after learning proper technique. I didn't like shooting it myself, but she did.

All about what fits HER. Let her pick it and I'll bet you she finds something she likes that fits her.
Old March 15, 2018, 08:04 AM   #27
stephen426

If you both like the PS90 and you can afford it, go for it. The rifle is under 7 pounds, ambidextrous, and recoil is light. The problem is that ammo is pretty expensive so extensive training is going to cost you.

Another option (as already mentioned), get an AR with a collapsible stock if the regular size stock is too long. It is certainly going to be much cheaper than the FN and ammo is much cheaper as well.
Old March 15, 2018, 09:57 PM   #28
benEzra

Quote:
However, it really should not be a rifle of any kind. All of 'em have too much penetration. A Youth model, semi-auto, 20 gauge on the other hand...
Unless you’re shooting birdshot out of the shotgun, it will have equal or greater penetration in building materials than 55gr JHP or SP from a .223, as will 9mm (though no. 4 buck *might* penetrate as little as .223; I’d like to see data on that). I am not very familiar with 5.7x28mm, but I suspect you could find a low-penetration load for that as well (and in terms of energy, 5.7x28 is closer to a pistol round than a rifle round, as I recall).
Old March 18, 2018, 08:12 AM   #29
wild cat mccane

Pistol caliber in an AR has more recoil.

Strange as it sounds, it's true.
Old March 18, 2018, 08:16 AM   #30
wild cat mccane

Might I also suggest, if she isn't comfortable with anything...don't give her a gun to be taken away from her and used on her?

I know that flies in the face of some people's religious believes, but a wide angle bear spray isn't going to be safer for everyone if she isn't comfortable with any options out there.
Old March 18, 2018, 12:19 PM   #31
WC145

The PS90 makes for a great house gun but there are lots of misconceptions about the gun and the 5.7x28 round. The projectiles are designed to tumble and fragment, not expand like a traditional JHP, over penetration is not an issue. Also, they are about half as loud as a higher powered rifle round like the 5.56, a big bonus if firing indoors. Ammo is readily available and Palmetto State Armory has the best prices around, they usually have the blue tip SS197 for around $18 box/50 and the American Eagle for $16 box/50.

I kept a PS90 as house gun for quite a while, recently replaced it with an AR57 pistol. Nothing wrong with the PS90, I changed because of some differences in handgun vs long gun laws.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old March 18, 2018, 04:30 PM   #32
Danoobie

In the event she likes a CX4 Storm, you have the option of getting one which will share mags with either a Beretta 92FS, or a PX4.
Old March 18, 2018, 07:58 PM   #33
chrisp51

I second the choice of the Ruger PC carbine. It is adjustable to fit almost anyone. Only problem I have is the weight. Little on the heavy side.
Old March 18, 2018, 08:20 PM   #34
TheGunGeek

I have a PS90, and it's certainly my favorite carbine. It's also a carbine you can have anyone of all sizes use effectively & easily with an RMR. Just buy SS198 for the defensive ammo and your good. I normally buy mine from MidWest Gun Works; if it's not currently in stock, just sign up for the email alert, it does come in. Keep the range ammo just for the range. You won't be disappointed.
Old March 19, 2018, 04:04 PM   #35
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O’Heir
However, it really should not be a rifle of any kind. All of 'em have too much penetration. A Youth model, semi-auto, 20 gauge on the other hand...
I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen you post this myth, and I’ve also lost count of the number of times I’ve seen people correct you. It’s getting old. Please stop posting this nonsense.

The truth is that .223 hollow points will penetrate far less through walls than handgun hollow points or defensive shotgun loads.
Old March 19, 2018, 05:33 PM   #36
Don Fischer

Do you reload or have a friend that does? Get her a 38 with 4" barrel and load up 148 gr wadcutter's for her. Anyone can handle it and loaded right they will not completely penetrate a human body I think. The 38 would be a DA revolver just don't get one like the detective special.
Old April 11, 2018, 10:00 AM   #37
handlebar

I went with the Beretta 92 Sub 2000 because it uses the same mags as my Beretta 92S. It shoots accurately and is a hoot to shoot. An added benefit is that it will travel easily in a brief case or back pack. Shot suppressed it is very quiet. I understand that 9mm out of a 16" barrel has the terminal impact of a .357, not sure if that is true or not.
Old April 11, 2018, 05:33 PM   #38
dakota.potts

I'm personally of the opinion that having a gun and being capable of using it is the most important factor. If she likes the PS90 and can shoot it well and it's in your price range, I think you might be discounting a good choice because of your perceptions about effective calibers.

I think there are a lot of other good gun suggestions here, though. The Kel-Tec Sub 2000 is a good suggestion other than the recall they just had. Outside of that serial number range, though, they are a popular gun.

I'll also say that the Kriss Vector carbine, the Sig MPX, and the CZ scorpion are all very easy to shoot and in their "pistol" versions they are very easy to handle.

The M1 Carbine is another good choice.

It's also a good suggestion to get her to a training class (maybe by herself) with a qualified instructor who can work on good general technique as well as identifying physical features of guns that work for her.

Tags
home defense , ps90 , sbr , tiny wife