The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 26, 2018, 02:18 PM   #1
BMB2715

Bushnell DOA LR-800 Recticle

Hey Guys, I'm thinking about putting a Bushnell trophy extreme on my 6.5 Grendel AR, 24'' 1:9 twist, i'll be shooting 123gr Hornady black more than likely. The scope has a xmas tree recticle that doesn't match the 6.5, is there a formula using my BDC for my Ammo that will tell me what yardage the dots will work for?

Example: the scope has a dot that's 9.6 MOA (hold over) for 500 yards with a 30-06, what will that same Dot represent using a 6.5 Grendel.
Old February 26, 2018, 04:14 PM   #2
HiBC

You can start by putting the best data you can come up with for your Grendel into a good ballistic calculator.Run the range tables.

Then you have to monkey around some. You figure out the best way to overlay the Grendel and the 30-06(or whatever the reticle was made to...often a 168 gr 308 load.

Example,you might find at your altitude and velocity,if you fudge yards to meters,etc,something intersects pretty well at (say) 400.It MIGHT be that you will be within 3 in of POA from 100yds to 500 yds. Or something. You canminimize the error with a longer sight in range.
And that's good to keep you busy while you aren't shooting. But then you need to verify the theoretical stuff by shooting. Record e.verything in a "dope" book.

The reticle is useful. Every dot is correct for SOME range,just like a broken clock is right twice a day..
Its just not going to be nice even numbers. The 600yd spot might be 540. That's OK if you know that I don't have an "instant pudding answer.

Its also possible to correct with your knobs. You might have a note : 600 yds + 2.5 MOA or 6 clicks.
Old February 26, 2018, 04:29 PM   #3
BMB2715

HiBC, I've calculated the drop in inches corresponding with each dot ( i think ) so i'm going to take that data and line it up with my 6.5 Info and see if i can't get some yardage numbers. Wish me luck!

Tags
6.5 grendel , bushnell , moa , target acquisition