The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2009, 01:38 PM   #1
mellow_c

Cornmeal in my .22 Magnums?...:-P

I bought myself a nice used 3 screw .22 Ruger Single Six convertible. I'm very happy with it. It shoots great, and it's in wonderful condition.

I've shot alot of CCI Mini-Mags and bulk Federal .22 LR's out of it. Then I decided to try out the .22 Mag cylinder. I was shooting CCI Maxi-Mag .22 WMR's. After the first six shots, I was ejecting the cases and noticed some little yellow balls that were sticking to the ejector rod. They were very small, and reminded me of Cornmeal. I didnt think to much of it at first, but after another couple cylinders, I noticed the stuff was getting all over the gun. I stopped shooting after that.

When I cleaned the gun latter that day at home, I had a heck of a time getting each little yellow ball out of the gun. I had to take off the ejector tube and clean it out, and those little things even found there way into the gate. I had to use a corner from a thin piece of paper to flip them out. They were virtually everywhere, and I only shot 18 rounds.

I'd prefer to never shoot .22 WMR's if I have to deal with this Cornmeal stuff after every trip to the range. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Anyone know of some .22 WMR's that dont have that stuff in them?

Old December 24, 2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Bigjim3

Strange, I would like to see pics? But Im sure you dont want to get your gun cornmealed up again. Was it just with the one brand of ammo??
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old December 24, 2009, 01:46 PM   #3
mellow_c

I only tried the CCI Maxi-Mag .22 WMR.

I was hoping someone could suggest some .22 WMR's that they know doesn't have that cornmeal stuff
I dont want to end up with a bunch of different brands of .22 WMR that I've only shot a few rounds out of, only to find out they all have the same stuff in them, and then never finish off the boxes.

I'd imagine it wouldent be as noticeable in a riffle because your not using an ejector rod to push out the cases, which the stuff sticks too. And yes, I could probably dry up my gun a little more. But I'd rather avoid this little yellow ball stuff altogether.
Old December 24, 2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Broker

I could be wrong, but I believe that's residue from the priming compound.

Merry Christmas,
Darrel
Old December 24, 2009, 01:50 PM   #5
mellow_c

Merry Christmas
Old December 24, 2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Scorch

More than likely it is unburnt powder. CCI loads the MaxiMags with ball powder, and the short barrel on a handgun is probably not burning all of it.
Old December 24, 2009, 06:17 PM   #7
Uncle Chan

One of my favorite 45 LC Cowboy Action Shooting loads is grits over Clays. The grits cleans the barrels and action and keeps the brass from getting too dirty or hot. I suspect it isn't corn meal. Just MHO.
Old December 24, 2009, 07:25 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

Filler? or unburnt powder?

The first time I tried 2400 in my .357 Mag (suggested as a good powder by an old rifle shooter), I found unburnt granules. Made me feel wasteful.

Just out of curiosity, I would be inclined to do two things.

1) Pull a bullet from an unfired cartridge. Examine the contents. Fire the empty cartridge and examine any primer residue I could find.

2) Fire off a bunch of the rounds and gather up as many of these little kernels as I could. See how well they burn. If not at all, they are likely just residue of some kind or melted plastic filler. If they burn poorly, they might be cornmeal filler. Or mildly combustible plastic filler. If they burn well, they are probably unburnt powder granules.

Just guessing. But it might be illuminating (watch out for falling puns!)

Congratulations on your fine firearm.

Lost Sheep
Old December 24, 2009, 08:17 PM   #9
impalacustom

Scorch is right, I get the same thing in my 357 when I use H-110, not a lot but you will see little yellowish-clear pieces of unburnt powder.

I highly doubt any manufacture is putting anything but powder in their cases as it would raise the cost of manufacturing and add a step in it as well.
Old December 24, 2009, 09:27 PM   #10
snuffy

It's unburned powder residue. Either deal with it or don't shoot any more WMR.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 25, 2009, 04:08 AM   #11
cheezhed

don't pull a bullet from a rim fire cartridge.A center fire cartridge is fine but not a rim fire as it can go off in the bullet puller. What you are seeing is the unburned powder.
Old December 25, 2009, 11:50 AM   #12
Hey_Allen

I'd say if you're going to pull the bullet, just don't use a kinetic puller.
That being said, I'd doubt the effectiveness of trying to use a kinetic on that light a bullet in the first place.

I've successfully pulled down 22 rimfire ammo with a pair of pliers and a bit of wiggling the bullet back and forth, and in one case as a kid, just used fingers to wiggle the bullet free.
(I wouldn't advise it being done bare handed, just stating it's possible and that I did so before learning the hazards of brass shrapnel in hands...)
Old December 25, 2009, 11:59 AM   #13
Pahoo

I've seen this stuff and thought it was saw dust or something like that. I know these shot dirty. I'm going to pull a bullet adn as usual, with a pair of pliers and see what's in there. Did not effect the shooting but as I said, was dirty.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 26, 2009, 12:13 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

It's not "unburned" powder, or priming compound "residue". It's a powder filler; for added bulk, and burn rate control.

CCI uses 2 bulk powders in their .22 WMR loads.

The older loads (still being made, but based on 8+ year old technology), will be loaded with a powder that is quite fast, but has a filler similar to 4227.
The Maxi-mags are an 'older load'. The filler doesn't hurt anything; just annoys people.

Newer loads are reported to have the bulk equivalent of Lil' Gun. It is much cleaner, and has no filler.
(I 'load' for the .22 WMR. All of my own experience, and the accounts I have read support the Lil' Gun statements. I intend to verify soon, with canister powder...)
Old December 26, 2009, 03:26 AM   #15
mellow_c

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate all the thoughts and opinions. Sounds like I'll just have to buy some different brands and see if they dirty up the gun or not. I'm not really concerned with what the stuff is, as much as I am finding an ammo that wont leave this stuff behind (although it would be interesting to know) (FrankenMauser seams to be sure it's just filler).... If I shoot enough of this stuff, I'm sure it will work it's way into the internals and I really would rather not deal with that. After all, this is just a nice long term plinker. I have no "real" use for the magnums other than for the fun of shooting something different.

Thanx again for all the replies, if anyone knows of some .22 WMR that shoots clean out of a handgun, let me know
Old December 26, 2009, 12:16 PM   #16
Don P

I've been shooting CCI Mini-mags for over 3 years now and haven't experienced this problem. Must be lucky or something.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 27, 2009, 02:27 AM   #17
mellow_c

Not Mini Mags ... Maxi-Mags (.22 Magnums)... Pretty sure Mini-mags come only in .22 long rifle...