The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 2007, 09:56 PM   #1
crowbeaner

12 Gauge Slug Data

A friend brought by a Lee slug mould so I can cast him up some slugs and find an accurate load for both of us to use. Looking at some of the powder charges the enclosed data lists sure look awful heavy- like 49.0 gr. of Blue Dot with the 1 oz. slug. Has anyone used this data and/or this load? I could use some info and input as he wants to try some of these loads before deer season. Thanks. CB
Old August 8, 2007, 11:39 PM   #2
sm

I would read the reloading articles and contact Ballistic Products.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi...icle_index.htm
Old August 9, 2007, 12:08 PM   #3
snuffy

Ballistic products does NOT have any load data for the lee "key drive" slugs. They do have a "shotgun slug loading & field applications" load data book. But it only covers the slugs they sell. They DO sell the molds for both the Lyman sabot slug, and the lee key drive slug, BUT they don't list any loads for them.

I know that sounds like a lot of powder, BUT it should work. Another thread here or at THR said that those blu-dot loads were not good for cold temps. Blu-dot has a reputation of being hard to ignite in cold temps.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 9, 2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Trapper L

You didn't say what cases you have and are going to load these in. I don't show any slug data that is near that hot. Max loading for in Remington SP cases is 40.0 grs Blue Dot. On a special project I did, we used the Barnes saboted slugs out of Federal Gold Metal case and the load was 34.0 grs Blue Dot with a 1 oz solid slug. The loading data you have sounds wrong as most slug data will be around 34.0 grs Blue Dot.
Old August 9, 2007, 05:57 PM   #5
WCW

Lyman lists a load for their 525 grain sabot slug at 50.0 grains Blue Dot with the federal plastic hull with fiber basewad. Same powder charge for the Remington black plastic hull. Another example is a load in Remington unibody hulls utilizing a vitt/boos slug. It has the wad column attached to the slug, and it uses a charge of 42.0 grains of Blue Dot.

I know the loading techniques for the various slugs vary, and components made huge differences, but from the examples above I’m thinking that the load you referred to is probably good to go.
Old August 9, 2007, 08:37 PM   #6
crowbeaner

The data sheet included with the mould uses Fed. Gold Medal hull, Fed 209A primer, WAA12 wad and 49.0 BD for 1690 fps. Same charge, RP premier hull, WW 209, and WAA12 wad for 1673 fps. I have other wads and powders on hand and I know from experience that BD varies a lot from can to can and lot to lot. Some loads with Herco and AA#5 are more in line with charge weights I'd consider to be OK but that BD load sounds awful high. I thank all for the info and input. I think I'll try some of the milder loads first and see how they do. CB
Old August 9, 2007, 11:07 PM   #7
Ruger4570

If I remember right, Lee lists loads in their web site.
Old August 14, 2007, 08:05 AM   #8
BHP9

And here is the link.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/instruct/index.html

Go to slug mold near the bottom of the page.

Also, get a copy of the Lyman Shotshell Reloading manual. It has loads the the Lee slug.
Old August 14, 2007, 11:20 PM   #9
crowbeaner

BHP9- Thanks. I have an older Lyman book and it only shows their Foster slug and sabot slug loads. Guess I know what I'm going to ask the CFO for next payday. Enjoy. CB
Old August 15, 2007, 07:52 PM   #10
crowbeaner

Update. The Lee web page has a link to Alliant powder and THEIR website shows the same load specs. Guess it's not a misprint after all. I loaded some of the milder loads today and plan to try them later in the week. Thanks to all who posted for your insight and info. Enjoy. CB.
Old August 18, 2007, 01:14 PM   #11
crowbeaner

Update. Fired 3 different loads through 3 different smoothbore slug guns. Each gun has it's preference, and each shot good groups and poor ones. First was an Ithaca 37 pump, second was a Rem 1100, and third was a Browning A5 Light 12. All have 2 3/4 inch chambers. First load: AA hull, WW 209, WWAA12SL wad, 38.5 of AA#5. Ithaca 3 shots in 3 inches at 75 yds. Rem 1100 4 shots in 3 inches. A5 poorly- 12 inch all flyers. Second load;Fed GM hull, WW 209 primer, 41.5 AA#5, CB 2118-12 (FED 12S3) Ithaca 3 shots in 4 inches; Rem1100 2 shots in 2 inches with 1 flyer 6 inches away; A5 poorly, all 3 shots 8 inches apart all flyers. Third load Fed GM hull, WW 209 primer, 34.0 Herco, WAA12 wad;Ithaca poorly 3 shots all flyers 12 inches; Rem 1100 poorly 3 shots all 8 inches apart, A5 good- 3 shots in 4 inches evenly spaced. Will load some more for T&E and post results. Contacted Lee about wad substitution with loads and they referred me to Alliant; Alliant tech said Claybuster replacements for WWAA12. WWAA12SL, and CB2118-12 (12S3) should work without pressure problems as long as no other subs were made. So far so good. Hope this helps. CB.