The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2011, 07:05 AM   #26
GP100man

Tightest press I own !!

Old December 27, 2011, 09:03 AM   #27
missesalot

Awesome advice

John C
I was also given a rcbs 505 scale. It has some corrosion on it but it seems like it will do the job. How do you zero the thing? Needle rides high. Tried the wheel on the left but it seems to need to be adjusted way out to zero, i will tinker with it.

I think i will order that powder measure, cabelas has them for 25 bucks.

What about all the little hand tools? Deburrring etc. Those neccessary at first? I believe my press has a priming arm on it, i will post some pics.
Old December 27, 2011, 09:38 AM   #28
LakeCruiser

reloading manual

Add a reloading manual or two to that order you are placing. ABC's of Reloading and maybe the Lee manual would provide the basic core knowledge to answer a bunch of your questions. They both do a good job of covering all the basics.
Old December 27, 2011, 09:58 AM   #29
jaguarxk120

GP100man if you unscrew the die bushing, you will find the year of manfacture under it. Just two numbers, of the two press's I have one is 67 and the other is 69.
RCBS has since stopped putting date codes, I don't when they stopped.

Nice set up glad to see the Redding powder measure still in use.
Old December 27, 2011, 07:07 PM   #30
GP100man

It`s a `74 model & a `73 next to it ,but out of the pic.

The ole scale is a herters I picked up for 12 bucks at a gunshow to match the herters powder measure . The measure is the only 1 that does`nt bind or leak H-110/ww296.
Old December 28, 2011, 01:56 PM   #31
John C

missesalot;

Let me put it a different way. Just buy as little as you need to reload the casings you have now, and then, a little at a time, pick up the additional tools you'll need to keep reloading.

What you need to reload RIGHT now, in my opinion, is a Lee Collet neck die set, a Lee perfect powder measure, a dial caliper from Harbor Freight, some bullets, powder, and primers. You'll also need 0000 steel wool and a microfiber cloth to clean cases. You'll also need to get your scale dialled in, but this shouldn't be too difficult. You can use a factory bullet of known weight (ie, a 230 grain factory fmj bullet) to get your scale calibrated pretty close. I have special check weights, but they're not necessary, in my opinion, if you work your load up carefully.

You already have a number of cases fire-formed in your chamber. If you neck size only, and keep a careful eye on you case length, you should get a number of reloads out of your cases before you need to resize the case body and trim. Therefore, put off getting the resizing and trimming stuff for a couple of months until you need it. Resizing tools include a Redding body die and lube (there are many tips and tricks on homemade resizing lube on the forum). Trim stuff includes the trimmer, trimmer pilots, and deburring and chamfer tools.

At that point, you'll have everything you need.

Oh, and one really nice-to-have is a cartridge tray. Use an old 9mm tray from factory rounds, or drill the appropriate sized holes in a scrap piece of lumber. This keeps your cases upright, and helps me keep track of what stage of the process I'm in. I have an elaborate system of turning the cases as I perform each step so I know exactly where I am, and what cases have already been through the step.

Good luck, and have fun!

-John
Old December 28, 2011, 01:59 PM   #32
John C

Also, I'd like to add that I've had good luck with F and M reloading supplies for Lee products. I have no affiliation; I've just noticed that they're a little cheaper than the big guys, and I've had good service. Cabela's, of course, is excellent. I just try to save a few bucks, if I can.

-John
Old December 28, 2011, 03:51 PM   #33
m&p45acp10+1

If your scale is an RCBS they may be able to refurbish it at the cost of you shipping it to them. They have a lifetime waranty on them if I am correct. I know from hearing from the folks here that RCBS will stand behind thier waranty.

I agree with the best investment you can make is a manual. Read it, then make deciscions for purchases after that.

Since you have a press you can get the rest of the stuff you need for not too awful much. Then upgrade from there based on preference, budget, and needs.
Old December 29, 2011, 08:47 AM   #34
missesalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&p45acp10+1
If your scale is an RCBS they may be able to refurbish it at the cost of you shipping it to them. They have a lifetime waranty on them if I am correct. I know from hearing from the folks here that RCBS will stand behind thier waranty.

I agree with the best investment you can make is a manual. Read it, then make deciscions for purchases after that.

Since you have a press you can get the rest of the stuff you need for not too awful much. Then upgrade from there based on preference, budget, and needs.
Which version of the abc manual would be optimal? I see there seems to be several versions with a couple different authors editors and editions. Gotta link to amazon just so i can see which ya'll suggest? Thanks!
Old December 29, 2011, 09:31 AM   #35
Don P

Quote:
Which version of the abc manual would be optimal? I see there seems to be several versions with a couple different authors editors and editions. Gotta link to amazon just so i can see which ya'll suggest? Thanks!
I have # 7 and #10, Get #7 its much better than the newest version. You may also want to get the new addition of the Lee reloading manual. Lots of usefull info there.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.