The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2010, 02:44 PM   #26
DiscoRacing

I started looking into it here...and found that the FFL is not a problem...just give em 30 bucks and they will hook you up with the paperwork to sell em....but...I heard rumors of them telling me just how to set up my reloading operation....like where you can put how many pounds of powder...and how to store them...silly things like that...and....I also know that you would want/need liability insurance....from what I could gather you would have to load and sell full time plus... just to afford the insurance.... So I stopped there....cancelled my meeting with the girl from ATF...and threw away the app. that she had sent me the week before that.
Old December 30, 2010, 10:31 AM   #27
Mitch535

I don't sell rounds, and never will. Just a personal preference.

As for handling the friends who want in on the handloads, I simply make them an offer. If they'll buy the die set (if I don't already have it), primer, powder, bullets, and supply their own brass, I'll sit down with them and we'll make a day out of loading and testing rounds. I enjoy the process of reloading and teaching, and I like to keep the liability in their hands. And like someone mentioned in an earlier post, it is another good excuse to hang out with your buddies.

By the way, first post here guys. I'm glad to be involved in this forum, you all seem like a very knowledgeable group and I hope to learn and contribute.
Old December 31, 2010, 07:31 AM   #28
Myke_Hart

Quote:
I started looking into it here...and found that the FFL is not a problem...just give em 30 bucks and they will hook you up with the paperwork to sell em....but...I heard rumors of them telling me just how to set up my reloading operation....like where you can put how many pounds of powder...and how to store them...silly things like that...and....I also know that you would want/need liability insurance....from what I could gather you would have to load and sell full time plus... just to afford the insurance.... So I stopped there....cancelled my meeting with the girl from ATF...and threw away the app. that she had sent me the week before that.
The laws on how much powder you can have and how it has to be stored exists no matter if you have a FFL or not (federal law). If you have the free hodgdon or Alliant powder data manual. Call them and they will send you one. Those powder laws are listed in the front.

Yes, the ATF can and will inspect your loading operations when you get your FFL so you should follow them.

If I have time I will see if I can find a PDF or scan the powder legal pages of these manuals to post them for all to see.
Old December 31, 2010, 11:08 AM   #29
Mitch535

Thats a great idea, Myke. I would like to see a sticky thread with those laws posted, I think it would be helpful for all.
Old December 31, 2010, 11:29 AM   #30
maillemaker

I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell reloaded ammo, either.

One mistake and you destroy someone's firearm, or worse.

Not worth the risk, to me.

Quote:
I have never sold any reloads. I tried. My buddies seem to think WWB is a better value than my ammo so couldn't meet my price. I dunno what thier problem is, hand crafted custom match grade ammo like mine isn't even available on the open market! DaVinchi didn't paint masterpieces and sell them to his neighbor for 5 bucks, sheesh.
I can sympathize with your friends. I'm reloading for cost. If it wasn't cheaper than buying factory ammo, I wouldn't do it.

Steve
Old December 31, 2010, 06:37 PM   #31
E.J.W.

Just for what it's worth....
Quite a few years back I sold my 40 S&W pistol. About 3 months later I came across some boxes of target ammo I reloaded for that gun. I didn't think twice about putting a "for sale" ad in our local paper. When it didn't sell there I switched to a larger city paper. About a week into the life of the ad I received a call.... from the local police asking for my FFL details. This I did not have.
At that point the official gave me two choices, one was to expect a visit from the BATF (no E at that time yet) or remove the ad. Without hesitation I removed the ad that next morning. That ammo sat around for about three years before I came across a fellow shooter who was invited to our hunting cabin and upon casual conversation he told of his 40S&W carry gun.
Boy we had fun shooting up all the ammo that weekend. Much better than a tangle with the BATF(E).
Thanks.
E.
Old December 31, 2010, 07:43 PM   #32
CrustyFN

I enjoy reloading. I can almost guarantee if I stsrted doing it as a business that I wouldn't enjoy it any more.
Old December 31, 2010, 08:04 PM   #33
Myke_Hart

Here is a pdf of the laws as well as links to download the manuals for yourself.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Hodgdon%20Basic%20Manual.pdf

This is a new online manual
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...rs/index.aspx&

Link to find alliants powder law section
http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting..._handling.aspx

Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Powder laws from hodgdon (small).pdf (236.3 KB, 13 views)
Old December 31, 2010, 08:07 PM   #34
DiscoRacing

You can only have 50 pounds of powder stored in a residence???
Old December 31, 2010, 08:10 PM   #35
Myke_Hart

Quote:
You can only have 50 pounds of powder stored in a residence???
Only if it is stored in a 1" thick wood box or cabinet.

Otherwise only 20 lbs.
Old December 31, 2010, 08:14 PM   #36
DiscoRacing

That dont sound good.