The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 6, 2018, 11:33 AM   #26
jfruser

Were I to buy a 45-70, that sort of handy brush gun is what I would buy.

I think your dog likes the color scheme.
Old December 6, 2018, 03:07 PM   #27
dchartier

I have an 1895 SBL that looks just like that one. I love it. It's a keeper.
Old December 7, 2018, 02:40 PM   #28
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfruser View Post
Were I to buy a 45-70, that sort of handy brush gun is what I would buy.

I think your dog likes the color scheme.
He has that look as if to say "Seriously, this is what you got me for Christmas" lol
Old January 13, 2019, 08:40 PM   #29
LineStretcher

Update time: I finally got out to the range with the 45-70 and let me tell you, I had a blast with that thing. Recoil is not bad at all. I think the kick of my Win 94 30-30 is sharper and it's not that bad. I was shooting 405g Remington Core Lokt ammunition and 20 rounds were gone in no time at all. My neighbor was a little leery of it but after one shot, I had a hard time getting it back from him. I only brought 40 rounds with me and wish I would have had more.

If any of you are leary of getting one because you've been told they kick like a mule go ahead and get it, it's just not true.
Old January 15, 2019, 03:02 PM   #30
dgludwig

Quote:
as long as you remember to buy a scope and rings that are impact rated for this caliber. I won't name brands that aren't because the list is long.
Interesting-I've never heard of scope and rings that are "impact rated". I've never read a scope manufacturer's literature limiting their center-fire scope offerings to cartridges having less recoil than the .45-70. To satisfy my curiosity, I'd like to see verified at least a few of the brands that are on that "long list".
Old January 15, 2019, 10:13 PM   #31
LineStretcher

Quote:
Interesting-I've never heard of scope and rings that are "impact rated". I've never read a scope manufacturer's literature limiting their center-fire scope offerings to cartridges having less recoil than the .45-70. To satisfy my curiosity, I'd like to see verified at least a few of the brands that are on that "long list".
I think that's a good idea. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do it. Maybe you could do it and see if you can get it added as a sticky. I'm sure others would really appreciate it.
Old January 15, 2019, 11:16 PM   #32
Reloadron

May you enjoy many happy days on the range with the new rifle. There is just something about the lure of a fine lever gun.

Ron
Old January 16, 2019, 04:09 PM   #33
dgludwig

[QUOTE]Quote:

Quote:
I think that's a good idea. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do it. Maybe you could do it and see if you can get it added as a sticky. I'm sure others would really appreciate it.
I don't have any more time to waste than you do-especially when I haven't seen any evidence of and have doubts that a list rating scopes and rings for "impact resistance" actually exists.

Last edited by dgludwig; January 16, 2019 at 06:40 PM.