The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 19, 2008, 04:49 PM   #1
coonhound

remington model 1900

I just got a model 1900 from a local pawn shop and i would like to know what is the largest load i could shoot through it. Its in very good condition but someone before me cut the barrels down to 24in. i would also like to know if i could get chokes and put them in it.thanks
Old November 19, 2008, 05:47 PM   #2
BigJimP

You should take it to a good qualified gun smith to have the barrels checked for integrity and soundness - and discuss potential loads with them / as well as to see if there is any merit to considering having the barrels threaded for chokes. I seriously recommend you do not shoot this gun before its checked.

I don't know a lot about the model 1900 SXS's - but somebody cutting the barrels off would make me nervous. The only shop in the country I will trust with quality barrel work is Briley Mfg - but sending it to Briley will be
$ 500 plus ......
Old November 19, 2008, 09:53 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Big Jim speaks Gospel. A decent smith can determine if this is safe to fire, and with what.

Things like chamber length, general condition, whether or not it has Damascus or twist barrels, etc, can be a matter of life or death.

Yours.

If it checks out, either Briley or Mike Orlen would be good places to send it for barrel work like choke tubes.
Old November 20, 2008, 11:34 AM   #4
BigJimP

Dave:

I've never heard of Mike Orlen - can you fill us in a little on who he is, where he is, what kind of work he or his shop does ? Thanks.
Old November 26, 2008, 04:38 PM   #5
coonhound

thanks for all the information. I will send it off as soon as i can.