The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 30, 2017, 06:29 PM   #1
Psychedelic Bang

Was at the range today and

The folks in the lane to my left were hitting my targets. So annoyed.

How can you be such a bad shot? Even a person two or three lanes to my left who was firing a rifle hit my target.

Have you ever had this happen? I have never been to this range before.. I went because they were having a big advertised sale today and I wanted to see the prices.. cause I am thinking bout getting a new gun

Is it dangerous if somebody is so bad they can't hit there own target?

Last edited by Psychedelic Bang; September 30, 2017 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling error/typos
Old September 30, 2017, 06:34 PM   #2
zoomie

Pretty common and not a big deal. Did you talk to them? You know, like a person? Probably aiming at your target on accident. Hardly dangerous.
Old September 30, 2017, 06:34 PM   #3
Targa

I have done that a number of times and had others hit my target a number of times over my 20 years while qualifying in a civilian LE role and in my active duty and currently Air National Guard days.
Like mentioned above, did you let them know?
Old September 30, 2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Psychedelic Bang

admittedly, I did not let them know. I was only there for a hundred rounds.. :-)

I guess next time, I'll just let em know
Old September 30, 2017, 07:21 PM   #5
jpx2rk

Was shooting an ARA match early this year, one guy (his first time in an ARA match) and he shot a guys target 2 or 3 times. At least one was a big goose egg for him. :/
Old September 30, 2017, 10:44 PM   #6
Hal

I shoot bullseyes in my wife's targets when she's in a lane beside me....

Old September 30, 2017, 11:16 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

People shoot the wrong target at 100 yards with NM sights pretty regularly. Seems like it would be more difficult at shorter ranges and with the usual pistol sights.
Were you all using the same targets? When I am shooting at the range casually everyone is using different targets so it is easy to tell which is which. Only in competition where all the targets are the same does it seem to become a problem.
Old September 30, 2017, 11:33 PM   #8
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062 View Post
People shoot the wrong target at 100 yards with NM sights pretty regularly. Seems like it would be more difficult at shorter ranges and with the usual pistol sights.
Were you all using the same targets? When I am shooting at the range casually everyone is using different targets so it is easy to tell which is which. Only in competition where all the targets are the same does it seem to become a problem.
I think everybody was using different targets. I almost always use, "the cheapest paper bullseye a range has." The other people were using splatter zombies and perpetrators...

Its not that I don't like splatter zombies - imho, kind of cool. but than you know, I'm going to buy 3 - 6 and before you know it, I've dropped a cool $20 in the trashcan. I'm too miserly for that
Old October 1, 2017, 12:28 AM   #9
armoredman

I have had people deliberately shoot my steel targets at the range. Ordinarily that really wouldn't bother me too much except for an acquaintance who had his brand new AR500 steel on the line and some scumbag put an AP bullet right through it. Generally I will ask, "Who is shooting that steel target?" On the admittedly rare occasions it's happened the shooter ID'd themselves and stated they thought is was part of range equipment, like Rio Salado. It's never ever gotten ugly.
Old October 1, 2017, 01:21 AM   #10
JoeSixpack

Cross lane shooting is generally not allowed, My mother thinks it's hilarious when Im shooting 9mm and I goto get my target and it's full of .22's
Old October 1, 2017, 06:23 AM   #11
mdemetz

Sitting on a bench at the rifle range waiting for a new shooter to hang his, I couldn't locate my target when he done. He had hung his target over mine.
Old October 1, 2017, 11:16 AM   #12
P5 Guy

At the police range, now closed to the public, I had police shooting to bone up for qualification. I was shooting my 22 at 25 yards while the patrolman next to me was shooting a 7 yards put several .40 caliber holes in my target. Pretty easy to see the difference in 22 -v- 40. If this guy was out on the street with his gun out I'd be hiding behind something very sturdy.
Old October 1, 2017, 12:50 PM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

We had a cross lane shooting at a local range that hit something solid and the ricochet came back and seriously wounded a person. The shooter tried to sneak off but was prevented.

I've seen it at CHL tests for folks who never shot a gun before and have no solid grip or stance.
Old October 1, 2017, 01:09 PM   #14
MarkCO

When a guy with the Username of Psychedelic Bang posts

Quote:
The folks in the lane to my left were hitting my targets. So annoyed.
One must wonder what was really going on. Where they really hitting his targets? Was he even at the range?
Old October 1, 2017, 01:11 PM   #15
roashooter

Quote:
How can you be such a bad shot? Even a person two or three lanes to my left who was firing a rifle hit my target.
its a sad statement....but I have witnessed shooters who could not keep six shots on a 3footx4foot paper target at 3 yards!!!.....if they were trying to hit the same target at extended range....25yards at my local indoor range....it is entirely possible for them to hit another target in other lanes....

the walls/ceiling show the evidence of how poorly some shoot....
Old October 1, 2017, 01:52 PM   #16

True.............so true.

A lot of people I see at ranges couldn't hit your target or any other target other than by accident.

Not that this adds anything to the thread but...............
I was at a range last winter (indoor club range) where we were shooting for money. We were in the last relay and there were only four of us left. A guy and his wife were at the other end of the range. The guy loads the gun and hands it to his wife who proceeded to shoot a light off the ceiling The whole fixture fell off the ceiling. She yelled, what happened ????? And her husband said, you shot a light off the ceiling, what do you think happened ?????

Me and the other guy had to turn our backs to them so they didn't see us laughing. The light was probably 8 feet above the target she was supposed to be shooting at. In a match where magnifying glasses and light tables are used to determine the winner.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old October 1, 2017, 04:03 PM   #17
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
We had a cross lane shooting at a local range that hit something solid and the ricochet came back and seriously wounded a person. The shooter tried to sneak off but was prevented.

I've seen it at CHL tests for folks who never shot a gun before and have no solid grip or stance.
That's what I'm saying - somebody hit my target from a few lanes over with an AK47. IMHO, that is crazy dangerous.

I'm never going back to that range than
Old October 1, 2017, 04:08 PM   #18
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
When a guy with the Username of Psychedelic Bang posts

One must wonder what was really going on. Where they really hitting his targets? Was he even at the range?
I'm into Pink Floyd, The Grateful Dead, I love my CCR and Hendrix

Why its weird that somebody who likes classic rock might also be a 2nd Amendment supporting, firearms person - I don't know.

Last edited by Psychedelic Bang; October 2, 2017 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typos
Old October 1, 2017, 04:42 PM   #19
jmr40

Sometimes when I'm shooting at 200 yards I find extra bullet holes in my target. None are deliberate, it is due to the design of the range. The ground isn't perfectly level. When shooting at 25 or 50 yards you are actually shooting slightly down hill. It is fairly level from 50-200 yards, but when firing at closer ranges the bullets hit the ground and sometimes skip up into the hillside. Sometimes they go through my targets sideways.

Winston Churchill
Old October 1, 2017, 05:00 PM   #20
O4L

I can understand the occasional cross target shooting at long outdoor ranges, but an indoor range up close. That's some bad shooting!

I'm glad I've rarely used an indoor range if this is commonplace.
Old October 1, 2017, 06:40 PM   #21
MarkCO

Psychedelic Bang, I was just kidding. Note the smiley faces. Hendrix was amazing.
Old October 1, 2017, 06:52 PM   #22
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
Psychedelic Bang, I was just kidding. Note the smiley faces. Hendrix was amazing.
I know, you're good, no worries :-)
Old October 1, 2017, 06:53 PM   #23
FrankenMauser

I've had it happen in the past at a couple public ranges.
Generally, it's a mistake.

Occasionally, it's intentional and extremely irritating.
While shooting with one of my brothers at the PMAA range outside Salt Lake City about eight years ago, we had a group of barely-legal kids show up and park themselves next to us with a single rifle - some one's shiny new AK.

They didn't bother setting up targets. They just blasted everyone else's on the 100 yard line.
The rifle was getting passed around the group like a joint in their parent's basement.
The RO talked to them. My brother and I reminded them that they needed to set up their own targets.
...And then they put two rounds through the roof of the shelter during a cease-fire, while my brother and I were down range putting up new targets.
The RO gave them the most apathetic and pathetic "talking to" I've ever heard at a range, so we packed up and got out of there.

By the time we pulled out of the parking lot, they still hadn't put up their own targets.
Old October 1, 2017, 08:48 PM   #24
BWM

I had a guy that was shooting my targets and I said are you shoot my targets and he said yes so what. I said you can stop it! He sad he would do as he wanted to do! His 2 buddies said that he was wrong and they said lets go! One came over and said he was a trouble maker and that he would NOT be back with them any more. I said that that would be good if they would not bring him back.
Old October 2, 2017, 08:42 AM   #25
10-96

Quote:
Why its weird that somebody who likes classic rock might also be a 2nd Amendment supporting, firearms person - I don't know.
I wanna shoot with this guy. New music sounds like Aguila .22 match ammo smells.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.