The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Dr. Strangelove

Just got back from the range with beaucoup brass

I'm a member, I take my buds, none of them reload.

Since I pay the membership fee, they are my range bitc.. err, minions.

All their brass is belong to me! (some may not understand the reference...)

They also have to help scrounge any "free range" brass. Takes some management to be sure they don't get off track, but they do a good job, generally.

I'm now cackling and sorting through piles of .357sig, .380acp, .45acp, .40S&W, 9mm Luger, .223win, .30-30win, and assorted odds and ends.

Range membership - $75.00. Buddies that don't reload - best source of brass and free labor ever!
Old August 22, 2010, 07:44 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

That's mean!

At lease you could feed them some lunch and give them some water!
Old August 22, 2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Dr. Strangelove

I provided iced tea, ran out of time to make the cucumber sandwiches and individual quiches...
Old August 22, 2010, 11:43 PM   #4
medalguy

CUCUMBER SAMWICHES AND WHAT?????

You call that LUNCH??
Old August 23, 2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Kawabuggy

All Your Base Are Belong To Us.. I get the reference!

Last edited by Kawabuggy; August 23, 2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old August 23, 2010, 10:55 AM   #6
rtpzwms

Went to the range yesterday, late. I arrived at about 6:30 and after a day of other people shooting I was busy with my brass magnet. I was shooting my Henry rifle in 44 mag.(boy do I love that gun) and I came home with a PILE of 45acp! I just love guys that don't reload!
The only real problem was the darkness came too soon.
Found a lot of 9mm and 223 as well
Old August 23, 2010, 11:42 AM   #7
ZeSpectre

Recently showed up just as a few guys were finishing up with AR platform guns. I had my "brass wizard" and was just going to town collecting the .308 and .223.

Eventually another guy showed up looking for brass, I think I felt a little guilty at vacuuming up everything so I switched over and started emptying my "brass wizard" into his bag too. We both had quite a pile by the time we were done.

Man my knees wish I'd found that thing a few years ago! (useless in long grass or big gravel though)
Old August 23, 2010, 12:54 PM   #8
jmorris

Quote:
CUCUMBER SAMWICHES AND WHAT?????

You call that LUNCH??
He does hang out with guys that don't reload.
Old August 23, 2010, 01:21 PM   #9
demigod

If you really want to come home with a big bunch of brass, take a carbine or pistol class.....

Of course... a lot of people have resorted to shooting steel cased ammo these days. :barf:
Old August 23, 2010, 01:46 PM   #10
HappySig

Range brass

I do sort of the same thing Dr.... I'd beg my friend to take me to the range, because he is a member, and also a shotgunner, and then we swing by the pistol range and really load up. I like to go on Monday mornings after a busy weekend with all the classes and such they have there, I once came home with three quarters of a 5 gallon bucket full of assorted brass mostly 9 mm and 45 ACP.
Old August 26, 2010, 01:27 AM   #11
Ifishsum

Last time we shot, I kiddingly told a buddy of mine (he also reloads) that when he's a guest of my club, our rules say that the brass belongs to the club member. He used to belong there so I figured he must have known I was joking.

At the end of the session and cleanup, I picked up my range bag and there was a half full grocery sack full of .223 and .40SW right on top. I had to explain to him that I was only teasing and gave it back to him. Hey, he wanted to do the right thing but I just couldn't keep it.
Old August 26, 2010, 07:08 AM   #12
Sevens

Aside from shooting very well, there's nothing in the world I'd rather do on range day than pick up some brass. I love doing it. But I'd never have a problem splitting the bounty with another guy and many times when I'm scrounging brass and I see another reloader come up to the line, I'm always quick to let him know that I look for brass but won't ever take it from someone who wants it. I find out early what he's shooting and I typically pile it up for him while I'm picking through other leftovers.

It seems paramount to me to keep the good will going every time I'm out there. I have a pretty good supply of brass in my cave and though I'm always thrilled to add to it, I'd rather keep it all smiles on the range.

Things change, however, when it's my brass that is getting flung and especially my 10mm. I guard my 10 like it's made of platinum.
Old August 27, 2010, 09:00 AM   #13
demigod

Quote:
I guard my 10 like it's made of platinum.
I found 3 pieces of 10 millie brass yesterday at the range. I try to set aside stuff like that (rather than dump it into my recycle bucket) since I know someone would get good use out of it.