The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 11, 2009, 08:54 AM   #1
frjeff

Lee Turret Concerns

Posted elsewhere, but it was an old thread:

Jeeeeze,

I am giving serious study to getting into reloading and had pretty much zeroed in on the Lee Turret (what's the difference between the Deluxe and the Classic??).

I'd be reloading primarily 9mm with a fair amount of .38 SPL and .357Mag.

Now, considering what I'm reading here about mis-allignment (and I'm no machinist nor engineer), I am concerned about getting the Lee.

Help ???

Fr. Jeff+
Old June 11, 2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Dingoboyx

frjeff

Lee's are good, I reload with a lee aniversary 3 hole turret press (if you are going to buy on, I would suggest the 4 hole so you can add a factory crimp die to the turret) I have a separate turret with my FCD's on it, but would like to have the 4th hole.

The concern with the loose turret, I fixed by getting a set of feeler gages and separate them. Because my turrets 'rock' when I use the press, I lift the turret and slip an apropriate thickness feeler gage blade under 3 even places under the turret (so it is up against the top) and have no more probs. Some turrets are ok without a shim, some need shimming..... I dont find it a problem as I do each procedure at a time in batches, so it might add 5 minutes in total extra time to reload 100 rounds. So don't worry about lee presses, they are great, you might get one that the turrets are tight enough, if not, a cheap set of feeler gages will do the trick

Make sure you get carbide dies
Old June 11, 2009, 09:15 AM   #3
CortJestir

From what I understand, the Deluxe Turret is actually a kit that includes the standard Lee Turret Press along with an auto-disk powder measure, Lee safety scale and other doodads. The Classic Cast Turret is a little beefier than the standard Lee Turret and allows you to load longer rifle cartridges and even .50 BMG.

I have a Lee Classic Cast Turret that has been running pretty smoothly through a couple thousand rounds so far. I load mainly 9mm and .45acp on it and have just started loading .223. No misalignment issues to speak of yet. The safety prime isn't 100% for me but it doesn't slow me down too much.

Lee has their haters and followers, just like any other brand. If you get one and are having issues, though, you'll find their customer service to be very responsive and top notch.
Old June 11, 2009, 09:37 AM   #4
jclayto

I will speak from my experience. I wouldn't consider myself a lee hater, I always look for the most cost effective way to do what ever I need to do. When I owned my Deluxe turret, I posted many of these problems here. The responses were always split down the middle between "i have the same problem and gave up/never fixed it" or "i own one, never seen this issue and have loaded XXXX rounds with no issues". It almost makes me think its quality control issue at the factory with some coming out great, and some not so great.. at any rate.. my experience only, here it goes:

Auto index - gets out of adjust way to easy, I am not going to say it doesent work, it does, but I found myself having to readjust so frequently that I removed it and indexed by hand.

Primer system - the method in which is attaches to the press was cheap and always felt like a weak point to me. The "button" mechanism of the auto prime is poorly designed resulting in the internal spring that causes the button to snap back after you apply a primer to get stuck and not spring back into position loading the next primer. Lee replaced the mechanism a few times, and a few times i disassembled it and fixed it myself, but it always broke again in short order. I would up manually placing the primer on the press with every round.

Powder System - I think I may have just had a lemon because even the people who had press problems usually reported no powder problems. My auto disk system was very inaccurate varying as much as .3 grns of what I had it set to. Example, I'd set up a 14.5 drop, and find 14.2's and 14.8's pretty regularly. I know any powder measure might vary a little, but I consider that too much. I tried single disk, double disk and charge bar. I even ran powdered graphite through the measure. The strange thing is, I got so fed up that I went out and bought a Lee Perfect powder measure (much cheaper than auto disk) and it worked very well. However, using this pretty much put me into single stage mode. It's hard to get the benefit of a turret if your are pulling every round off to charge it on a separate measure.

I really think if I were to save money on a reloading set up, I would be happier with a lee classic single stage, a lee hand primer, perfect powder measure, and a mid range balance beam scale.

Your mileage my vary, but that was my experience.
Old June 11, 2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Nate1778

I can post my experiences, I got the Deluxe kit, thus far it has been fantastic. Never had an issue with the indexing, or the powder measure. I have noticed as stated above all the measurements are off by .3 grains to the lite. I think that has more to do with Lee playing it safe. That said it throws a consistent load for me. You just need to use the included scale to verify the powder weight. The scale once set up is very accurate IMO. Switching calibers is easy, pull the entire turret with dies and all, put new turret in with different dies. Change primer feed and arm if necessary, and change powder. Seriously it takes 5 minutes to change calibers. I average about 100-150 rounds an hour but I am just moving as a decent pace, nothing fast. Also I am under the understanding that the primer disposal slot works a bit better on the classic, every now and then I'll get a spent primer on the ground. The one other problem I have with the "Kit" is it does not include the riser for the powder measure. It ought to come with it as it just makes sense, just be sure to include one with your order.

If you seriously are thinking about getting into reloading, consider the kit, its very cost effective and if the instructions (which are easy to follow) are followed the thing works great. I love mine.........

Last edited by Nate1778; June 11, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Dustin0

I have had great luck with my 3 hole. Makes nice 45 acp load. Just it has problem with the powder under 4 grains. So check your load every so offten with a scale.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:16 AM   #7
Russ5924

I have had the classic about 7 years and still going strong with no problems. As far as the auto indexing I can say I have never touched it since new. But I did do away with the priming on the Lee but then I did away with it on my Dillon also. I use the Lee hand primer I will sit down watching TV and do about 500 cases.I can't even begin to guess how many rounds I have done on this press. I load .45 Colt, .44 Mag, and .45ACP and leave the 9MM and .38/357 to the Dillon
Old June 11, 2009, 04:01 PM   #8
CrustyFN

The difference between the two as I know them are that the classic cast turret has stronger linkage, steel linkage not cast, taller so it can reload larger caliber rifle, cast iron base instead of aluminum and primer disposal through the ram and is much cleaner.
I have been loading on a classic cast turret for three years. It has been problem free for me. I have loaded thousands of rounds and am still on the original ratchet piece. The auto index alignment has never gone off. The safety prime has worked near flawless, it might feel cheap because it's plastic but it works and works very good. I load 9mm, 38/357, 45 auto and 223 on mine. I have been very happy with mine and would recommend one to anybody.
Rusty
Old June 11, 2009, 05:36 PM   #9
D. Manley

Quote:
The difference between the two as I know them are that the classic cast turret has stronger linkage, steel linkage not cast, taller so it can reload larger caliber rifle, cast iron base instead of aluminum and primer disposal through the ram and is much cleaner.
I have been loading on a classic cast turret for three years. It has been problem free for me. I have loaded thousands of rounds and am still on the original ratchet piece. The auto index alignment has never gone off. The safety prime has worked near flawless, it might feel cheap because it's plastic but it works and works very good. I load 9mm, 38/357, 45 auto and 223 on mine. I have been very happy with mine and would recommend one to anybody.
Rusty
For the OP, Rusty's got it right. If the Lee turret is the way you want to go the LCT (Classic) is a no-brainer. IMO, much better machine than Lee's other turret...for a lot of reasons.
Old June 11, 2009, 08:05 PM   #10
Smogdude

I got the deluxe kit with the auto disk powder measure and safety scale... I've had a few minor issues with misalignment, mostly with the auto indexing either over or under indexing slightly. Not too big of a deal. The auto disk measure sucks. I upgraded to the pro disk measure with the micrometer adjusting charge bar, and swivel adapter that clears the other dies-- night and day difference. Where my carges were varying .3gns or so they're spot on now to the point I check every 10th charge, where I used to check every 3-5. I believe this really depends on the type of powder you're using. Although the safety scale looks and feels cheap.. it's fairly accurate. I've only owned lee equipment with the exception of a lyman primer pocket reamer and another brand of pocket uniformer. Just my experiences in under 1k rounds made.