The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 10, 2017, 12:24 PM   #1
DaleA

Taco Bell employees shoot robber

Goodness, is concealed carry becoming REALLY popular?
It’s reported that two masked, armed gunmen entered the Cleveland Taco Bell and ordered the three employees working the front of the store onto the ground. When the robbers when to the cash register three other Taco Bell employees working in the back of the restaurant (ALL THREE WERE CARRYING!!!) opened fire. One robber was hit six times and died on the way to the hospital, the other robber fled.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.3477111

I’m thinking it’s unusual for at least HALF the employees at a Taco Bell to be ‘packing heat’ but maybe concealed carry is a much bigger thing than I had suspected.

Interesting side notes:
1. Taco Bell says their restaurants are franchises where the local franchisee can set the weapons policy.
2. Taco Bell has offered counseling to their employees if they request it. It SEEMS the employees are NOT in danger of being fired for defending themselves.
3. It is unclear but some of the Taco Bell employees that shot MAY, and this is NOT clear, the employees that fired MAY be under 21.
4. Some of the news reports have contradictory information but even after a few days have passed the news outlets have not resolved the conflicts.
Old September 10, 2017, 03:19 PM   #2
Deaf Smith

I bet TB does everything they can to stop CCW. May be local franchise but the big wigs will not like it (I do.. fine with me if every one of 'em packs.)

As for age, one can be gifted a handgun if 18 or over. Dunno about CCW but there are hardship cases.

Deaf
Old September 13, 2017, 08:15 AM   #3
briandg

A Chinese restaurant here has a large sign out front. It's a pick up only place.

Quote:
we welcome people with concealed weapons.
Old September 13, 2017, 08:55 AM   #4
johnwilliamson062

A taco bell is a place where large volumes of foot traffic all hours of the day would not be noticeable.
I suspect there is more to the three employees being armed.
Unless they are family members or friends or something. It just seems extremely odd there would be three CCW employees in a restaurant. All working in the back out of sight of the robbers when they entered.
Also, who robs a taco bell? Unless they are being REALLY lazy with cash drops there shouldn't be much in the till and depending on location it may be all cards.
Just seems to be a lot of oddities on this one.
Old September 13, 2017, 09:02 AM   #5
O4L

I've never seen anyone old enough to legally CC working at taco bell around here.
Old September 14, 2017, 11:28 AM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Plenty in my area. Lots of seniors now working jobs that were only staffed by HS kids when I was growing up. Plenty of people in between also.
Old September 28, 2017, 05:25 AM   #7
Brit

This kind of response to armed robbers entering a business could make this activity less and less popular?
Old September 28, 2017, 05:52 PM   #8
Deaf Smith

Quote:
This kind of response to armed robbers entering a business could make this activity less and less popular?
Depends. Here in Texas a convenience store manager used a .40 S&W Browning High Power to stop a robber (shot him to) and believe me, his business picked up and since then he and his store has been real popular.

He even has a sign on the window welcoming CHL/LTC holders.

Deaf
Old October 5, 2017, 05:03 AM   #9
flyboy015

I think it's definitely becoming more popular.

Interesting just in PA, when at the mall or Walmart, Target, etc to try and look for concealed weapons on people. Some of these redneck boys don't even try

What people don't seem to get, is that putting up a sign prohibiting concealed weapons in their store windows, means the only people walking through the door with firearms are robbers, thugs and the like.

If I owned a business, particularly a smaller business, I would have a talk with all my employees who wanted to carry while on the clock. And if I thought they were responsible enough, and smart enough, I'd sure as hell let them. Maybe even go on a range trip with them to insure they aren't one of those rare and elusive individuals who go buy a gun and shoot it twice in a year

If I were my brother-in-law, who is the chief of police in my hometown, I'd be telling everyone who can responsibly and intelligently carry, to do so, but also not to be a hero. Concealed carriers IMHO are a vastly underrated and underappreciated resource. Again, speaking about those who practice regularly and can shred a target.
Old October 5, 2017, 08:51 AM   #10
DMK

Quote:
If I were my brother-in-law, who is the chief of police in my hometown, I'd be telling everyone who can responsibly and intelligently carry, to do so, but also not to be a hero.
Our local sheriff has gone on record many times saying that very thing.

When he was first elected, he immediately streamlined and improved the permit process, so it's not just lip service.

He keeps getting re-elected for over a decade now too.
Old October 5, 2017, 08:53 AM   #11
DMK

Quote:
I suspect there is more to the three employees being armed.
Unless they are family members or friends or something. It just seems extremely odd there would be three CCW employees in a restaurant.
It may have been one employee who convinced the others to embrace the RKBA. I've tried my best to evangelize to others that were willing to listen.
Old October 5, 2017, 01:26 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

True. If that is the case OFCC should recruit the guy to work at their gun show booth.
Old October 9, 2017, 09:43 PM   #13
John J. McCarthy, Jr

The BG's are gonna be the newest Starbucks "customers.

http://www.anamericanwithagun.com/