The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2010, 06:42 PM   #1
rjv140

Expander Die Question

In the past I reloaded for several rifles, however, I am new to pistol reloading. Today I began by reloading for my 9mm. I am currently trying to properly set my expander die. My question is, is how far down do I have to set the expander die? Do I have to set it just to expand the very tip of the brass so the bullet has a starting point at being set in the brass (meaning, the base of the bullet will continue to expand the case when I seat the bullet) or do I have to set it to expand the neck enough for the entire bullet to sit in the case (meaning the base of the bullet will not expand the case anymore, since the die itself expanded the case enough for it to properly sit in the case)

Please advise
Old August 24, 2010, 07:32 PM   #2
PA-Joe

The sizing die should not have expanded the neck and the bullet should not go into it. You expand the neck just enough to hold the whole base of the bullet then give 1/4 turn extra.
Old August 24, 2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You should set the expander to the minimum that allows for you to seat the bullet without shaving the sides of the bullet or damaging/crushing the case when seating.

I load for 357sig and 10mm and you can not even see the result of the expander but the bullets load just fine.

You want minimum flare that allows for correct loading.
Old August 24, 2010, 09:05 PM   #4
ballardw

You may want a tad more expansion if shooting bare-lead bullets than with jacketed to get a cleaner start, especially if cast bullets have been sized a thousandth over as is common.
Old August 24, 2010, 09:12 PM   #5
rtpzwms

+1 for peetzakilla and I'll add that you should feel it before you can see the change. It takes almost nothing so if you can easily see it you went too far in most cases.
Old August 24, 2010, 09:44 PM   #6
rjv140

So basically, I should barely open the mouth of the brass and as long as the jacket doesnt shave off when I seat the bullet, its ok. Is this correct?
Old August 24, 2010, 09:51 PM   #7
dawico

Yes, work the brass as little as possible. Flare it just enough to get the bullet to start.
Old August 24, 2010, 10:14 PM   #8
rjv140

Thank you