The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2010, 04:50 PM   #1
hazfam2

30-06 accellerators

I am getting ready to put some 30-06 accellerators together.I am going to use hornady 50gr. a-max or v-max bullets. does anyone have any advise or any load data
Old February 22, 2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I've never heard of anyone yet getting accuracy equal to the commercial Accelerators, but nobody seems to know why? If you discover the secret, please share it.

In principle, the light weight and low start pressures will require faster powder than is normal for the .30-06. QuickLOAD thinks IMR 4227 is a good bet. It suggests starting with around 45 grains and working up toward 50. However, it's a computer program, not experimental data, so YMMV. Personally, because this is such unusual territory, I think I would start even lower, at about 80% case fill. This is around 43 grains if your sabot is 0.3 inches into the case?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 22, 2010, 07:44 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

Hey I had great results from the little sabots. Followed the mfg instructions for loading, they shot very well.

The only problem was they were good if you were shooting at a barn from the inside. Otherwise a waste of time and materials.

If you want a varmint rifle, get one!
Old February 22, 2010, 07:44 PM   #4
James R. Burke

Those accelertor leave the plastic in your rifling. Never tryed them but heard it is really super hard to get back out. I have a Ruger No 1 A Light Spoter in the 30-06. For messing around and varmint stuff I use a Hornady 110-V Max. I was surprizied on how well it worked. I am using a Laupa case ( that you dont have to use), and Varget powder. Its at 3712 f.p.s. with a five shot average. It shoots 1" or under at 100 yards all day long. I am sure someone younger would do better. I have the c.o.l. just about the diameter of the bullet in the case. I am still under the max and no signs of pressure. I really like it, and it is no target or varmint rifle by a long shot. Not good to save pelts. Puts a porky pine into a red mist.
Old February 22, 2010, 08:21 PM   #5
qwman68

I think they are a complete waste of good money and time..
Old February 22, 2010, 09:07 PM   #6
Loader9

The key is using a bulky powder that is fast burning. Use 19.0 grs SR4759 and it should shoot as good as factory or better. Loading density is about 80%.
Old February 23, 2010, 12:44 PM   #7
hagar

The only bullet I could get that worked well with my reloads, was the Speer 52 grain HP with the gaping hollow point. Most other bullets would not shed the plastic petals. I think you need a lot of turbulent air to shed the jacket. I loaded them with Accurate 2230, a reasonably fast powder, and it seemed to work OK. They did not shoot quite as good as the factory Accelerators, but close enough, about 1 inch groups at 100 yards, and a lot cheaper. Did not spend too much time on working up a decent load, but they will DESTROY a coyote, the only other round that came close, was a 70 grain 25/06 round at 3700 feet/sec.
Old February 23, 2010, 01:00 PM   #8
gandog56

I've never had any luck with accuracy the one time I tried some commercial Remington accelerators in my 30.06, so I've never even thought about reloading them.
Old February 23, 2010, 02:44 PM   #9
A_Gamehog

I bought a full case when they were first sold 1978? and never liked the accuracy. The speed was great though.
Old February 23, 2010, 03:23 PM   #10
AlaskaMike

I think if it were me I might try paper patching a .27 caliber bullet and see where I got with that. I don't really have much need for high velocity varmint type stuff though.

Mike
Old February 24, 2010, 01:06 AM   #11
reloader28

I loaded some with 55gr and didnt have squat for accuracy. I also didnt play much with them. Still got some loaded and some sabots left.
If you want those kinda speeds, pick up a 220 Swift or faster yet a 223 WSSM.
My 223 mag is 4050fps and thats loaded to min. I've had it to 4580fps and it was starting to throw the 40gr all over the target. I didnt have any pressure signs yet, but I dont think I was too far from max.
Its the only gun I got that actually shoots better at a slower speed than it does close to max.(luckally)
Its also the only gun I got that is wearing out the barrel faster than I can shoot it.