The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 21, 2006, 06:23 PM   #1
cscoios

Good price for used 870 w/Surefire?

A local gun store is selling used 870's (Magnum) from a local LEO training academy for $299 each. You can definitely tell they are used, scrapes, scratches and some finish wear. They also have Surefire flashlights built into the fore-end. Is this a good price?

I have a Mossberg 500 which I shoot regularly, but what should I look for buying a used shotgun?
Old April 21, 2006, 06:38 PM   #2
AAshooter

I assume you are talking Police Magnums? If they are in good working order and the lights work, I would say that is a reasonable price. You can spend most of that buying the Surefire light if you buy it new.

Any idea how much they have actually been shot?
Old April 21, 2006, 06:48 PM   #3
cscoios

Yes, its the Police magnum.

I was told the training academy cycles them out for newer guns every five years. No idea how many rounds they've been used for during this time. The action seems tight and the light comes on reliably. Takes 2 3/4 and 3" shells.

I'm trying to justify the $300 price for used, when I can go to Walmart and get one new for $250. The store clerk said that LEO issued 870's are totally different and more reliable than what I could buy at Walmart. Can anyone confirm this?
Old April 21, 2006, 06:56 PM   #4
AAshooter

I am not sure you are getting a Police Magnum at Walmart for that price . . . Are you? Perhaps you are getting an 870 Express for that price?? Police Magnums are better build guns.
Old April 21, 2006, 06:59 PM   #5
cscoios

AA, you are correct. Walmart has the 870 Express for that price, not the Police Magnum.