The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 17, 1999, 02:01 PM   #1
Lord Grey Boots

What a good thorough reloading manual? One that includes such details as crimping, and loaded OAL? Most that I have seen seem to gloss over or ignore those details.

------------------
Old October 17, 1999, 04:09 PM   #2
preacher

My favorite has always been the Speer manual which gathers their data from factory rifles and not pressure barrels. They also list OAL and offer loads from a good variety of powders and bullets. Nosler also makes a good reloading book. I use the Speer mostly for their handgun loads and the Nosler for their rifle loads. IF this is your first loading experience read the book thoroughly, be safe and have fun.
Old October 17, 1999, 05:12 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I seem to go to my Sierra books more than the others. The external ballistics tables are very useful. I have Hornady & Speer books, as well as an old Lyman lead-bullet book and a slew of modern pamphlet-type data.

About OAL: In my rifle reloads, I first seat the bullet and see if it "grabs" on the lands. If not, I check to see if it fits in the magazine. Whatever length which fits the magazine, and almost touches the lands is "just right" for me. I don't think I've ever measured the OAL of a rifle cartridge.

FWIW, Art
Old October 17, 1999, 08:39 PM   #4
JA

Modern Reloading by Richard Lee is the best manual I own. It has through exsplanations of all aspects of the reloading process. It has data for more cartridges than any other other manual. Each cartridge's data has a drawing of the cartridge giving all dementions. The .223 cartridge for example has 16 differnt measurements of the loaded round. Case,bullet,OAL,and headspace+12 other measurements.
Try www.midwayusa.com $21.99 delivered
Old October 17, 1999, 11:04 PM   #5
TheOtherMikey

I also like the Speer manual for the reasons outlined above. The Sierra is also a good manual however, it is slanted a little more to competative target shooters.

To me, the main thing is to have a load manual not published by a powder company so that you get a cross section of powders.

Hope this helps, Mikey
Old October 18, 1999, 10:18 AM   #6
BigG

I like the Lyman manual because it covers all bullet weights and powders. If you get a bullet makers manual, they strictly talk about the bullets they make. Not to say I don't look at them, though. Also, the pamphlets published by Accurate, Hogdon, Winchester, etc. are also useful to me.

------------------
There is the science of Ballistics and the Art of Bullistics
Yankee Doodle

Old October 18, 1999, 09:33 PM   #7
EQUALIZER

All,

Since we are on the subject, does anyone know if the new MIDWAY load maps have any benefit over the big Lee manuel? I'm wanting to know in terms of reloading home cast lead, not production jacketed bullets.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)
Old October 19, 1999, 10:40 PM   #8
Long Path

I'm like Art-- I never worry much about the "official" COAL, but I do measure it and write it in my book to keep track of what I did last time. Can't see how I used to reload without verneer calipers... even the cheapest set gives you so much more data and repeatability.

I tend to have a manual from every company that I buy bullets from. You can come up with some very interesting realizations by bouncing back and forth. I like the way the Speer manual reads, but I use the Sierra Manual the most. Sierra also publishes their hotline in their manual, (and on their website) and I find it very endearing that they have a reloading tech support line set up for me, 12 hours a day.

Hornady's 2-volume set of drop tables in one book and reloading data in the other is excellent.

I have a real weakness for more data-- don't ever limit me to just one source! So, naturally, I feel that my reloading library is just not complete with fewer than 3 (or is it 5, now? ) current manuals on the shelf.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt