The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 10, 2005, 12:19 PM   #1
Bravo25

Springfield 1911-A1 Trigger Problems

Since I am on a roll I might as well ask this too. I purchased a milspec 1911A1, and for the most part I love the pistol. However from time to time when I insert a new magazine after slide lockup, and start to shoot the trigger pull can jump up to what seems to be almost 25 lbs. This only last for one shot, and occasionally occures without changing magazines. The trigger has a lot of play in it as well (local smithy says he is not sure this can even be fixed). I had the same smith take it appart, and polish the yoke, sear, and other parts. Still have the same problem from time to time. I can not absolutely pin it down to a single cause.
Should I consider installing a match trigger?
Could magazines be the culprit? I use a variety of them, and most aren't high dollar.

TIA

When faced with impossible overwhelming odds, prudance would dictate the only thing left is to figure out what is possible, and to do it.

Punishment for all crimes should increase until the recitivism rate approaches zero.
Old August 10, 2005, 12:32 PM   #2
auto45

I'm not a gunsmith...perhaps you are not depressing the grip safety enough for it to clear the trigger bow sometimes??

Just a IMHO, if your current gunsmith thinks a trigger with a lot of play can't be fixed...then you need a smith more familiar with the 1911.
Old August 10, 2005, 08:50 PM   #3
Dave Sample

1. Find a new "Smith".
2. Install a new match trigger.
Old August 10, 2005, 10:52 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Bravo25,

The guys are steering you right. I'll throw a couple items in for your further consideration:

The purpose of the grip safety on the 1911 is to prevent accidental firing if you drop it "cocked but un-locked" (hammer cocked, thumb safety off). In normal firing it isn't serving a purpose. While I would never advocate defeating a safety device in a public forum, I will, for journalistic purposes, report the fact many people's hands simply are not shaped correctly for fully depressing it consistently, and so they defeat it with hold-down clips and the like. A superior solution, IMHO, is to get a competent 1911 'smith to lightly file the underside of the trigger stop post on the grip safety just enough that it still works when completely un-depressed, but lets go earlier in its travel into the grip frame. If the pocket in your palm is so recessed that even this doesn't work, get one of the beavertails installed with an extension pad at its heel.

You can test for the grip safety being the problem by temporarily defeating it with a stiff rubber band wrapped around the grip frame to close it. Do this only over the shooting bench for safety. If your problem stops, you've found it.

If the trigger stirrup is the problem, it is probably too narrow and dragging on the magazine. Try stretching it wider, just short of dragging on the sides of the frame trigger channel. If this stops the problem, get the match trigger so you can have both the bow and the trigger body fit well and get an over-travel stop into the bargain.

Nick
Old August 11, 2005, 10:58 AM   #5
Bravo25

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will try to find a new smith to install a match trigger. I lost all confidence when the current one said he didn't know if it sould be fixed. I was thinking I might contact Springfield as this was a new purchase, and is an ongoing problem. I just hate to spend money to send it back, and the time lost not having it to have them tell me they can't find a problem.
I don't think the grip safety is an issue as I maintain a fairly tight grip on the weapon, and it does have a fairly good beaver tail. I will however for elimination sake try the rubber band trick.

When faced with impossible overwhelming odds, prudance would dictate the only thing left is to figure out what is possible, and to do it.

Punishment for all crimes should increase until the recitivism rate approaches zero.
Old August 11, 2005, 12:00 PM   #6
auto45

Ah,
New pistol from Springfield. Call them and I'm sure they will take care of the problem...good decision.
Old August 11, 2005, 12:22 PM   #7
DnPRK

Yours is not the only occurrence of grip safety not being fully depressed. Makers of aftermarket grip safeties have added a raised tab to assure the heel of you hand fully depresses the safety. Wilson Combat calls it a "posi-release tab" and Ed Brown calls it "memory groove". I made sure all 6 of my commercial 1911s sport that kind of raised tab to prevent safety problems.