The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 15, 2018, 07:10 AM   #1
Casualshooting1

Glock 34 Gen 5Glock opinions

Anyone using it for IDPA please share your thoughts. Gen 4 prices have fallen.
Old August 16, 2018, 12:09 AM   #2
bamaranger

Gen 4

Can't help you with comments on a Gen5, but I like my Gen4,and its a better IDPA match pistol than I am competitor. Stone cold reliable, accurate with good ammo (had a BAD match once with poor reloads....my own!) I've found the 5" barrel boosts velocity in SD ammo too, and occassionally carry the G34...I shoot the longer tube better due to the longer sight radius.

Criticism is usually leveled at the Glock plastic sights, but lots of good aftermarket options when one finally goes that route (I have not,but should).
I did not find the Gen 4 trigger as slick as Gen 3's, and an aftermarket connector did not help. There was a discernible "stack" or speed bump halfway back.........which likely could be used to prep the shot,but I like a smooth consistent trigger all the way. I just live with it. I like the Gen 4 mag button, the grip inserts are interesting (I shoot the big one) , and I have no complaints about the Gen 4 checkering.

I DO wish Glock would used cut/conventional rifling, so that lead bullets (cheaper) could be shot.
Old August 16, 2018, 02:04 AM   #3
Casualshooting1

Thanks for the reply. I have used a Gen 2 Glock 21 for CDP in a Blade tech rig. This has done well. I score well for accuracy and fair for time. I have two 1911s but frankly they do not run 100% reliable. I see lots of malfunctioning 1911s in matches. Only see Glock malfunctions with reloads. Most often I just use standard 185 grain fmj and everything works perfectly. Curious, which holster do you like for your 34?
Old August 16, 2018, 08:28 AM   #4
jmorris

I have one high overall in the past at sanctioned matches with an almost stock Glock 34. Springs and Dawson sights being the major changes.

My favorite is the comp-tac speed paddle but lots of folks like their locking paddle.