The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 31, 2016, 09:50 PM   #1
Stats Shooter

Scope rings

This is just a quick post on scope rings/mounting systems. I have used countless Weaver bases, picitinny bases, one piece ring sets, 2 piece systems etc. I have had to shim and lap rings/ bases as well.
So I bought a rifle that the scope mount was a bit off using a bunch of internal adjustment to properly zero.

Rather than shimming the base, I decided to try the Burris signature rings. Well, they worked great and from now on that is the only two piece ring set I will ever buy. The polymer inserts not only allow you to adjust your scope by up to 40 moa, you don't have to tighten them down as much because the friction of the polymer is better than just steel on steel, and they won't scratch the scope.

The XTR rings are not that pricy compared to other high end rings and it makes a 20 moa mount unnecessary. The rings have not moved in 500 rounds from a .300 win mag so I'd say they hold well. I don't work for Burris, but when I find a good product, I will promote it.... likewise if i find a crappy one (hornady brass in a .338 lapua for example) I share that too.

One draw back though is that if u want a quick release set, they don't have a 1 piece signature base.
Old September 2, 2016, 01:00 AM   #2
bamaranger

not alone

Your not the only one who likes the Burris rings with the poly insert, you'll hear plenty positive comment from others.

I like the Burris XTR's too.....they have the heavy duty look, and are quite massive. I'm thinking I've got 4 pr of them mounted, and an x-High 30mm set in the parts bin. Likely did not give more than $50.00 for each pair. Not steel, (aluminum) but not an issue with me. The last set of XTR's I bought had a "Made in China" sticker on them, which was disturbing to me. I'm believing the early ones were made in USA. The others did not have said sticker, but I bought them at least 10 years back....... in the old black and white paper boxes.

When I was shooting F-TR class, I'd bang off about 150 rds a weekend of heavy bullet .308 with a modified Savage 110......never an issue with the scope running around in XTR's.
Old September 13, 2016, 09:19 AM   #3
cw308

Never had a problem with rings, l have Ken Farell rings & base. What I found interesting was a video where this instructor, training 5 Spl.Ops guy's on long range shooting. They had scope rings that detached from the base . After they zeroed, he had them remove the scope & switch scopes. The instructor said its best to buy one scope , the best you can afford. Have the same base on all your rifles. He advised the scope should have more accuracy potential then the rifle. Use that scope on all your rifles. Made sense, still can't afford a 2500 dollar Horris reticle scope.
Old September 13, 2016, 09:40 AM   #4
Clark

I have seekins rings and nightforce rings on the expensive end, and $3 delivered for a pair of rings off Ebay direct from China that I will hunt with next month.

The shimming I avoid. I mill the bottom of the scope base, often with a boring head and the work fixtured in modified V blocks.

I waller over screw holes. The 45 degree countersinks I was wallering over yesterday in a EGW one piece Rem700LA base.
The Weaver tactical one piece already has this done.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Tags
mounting systems , scope , scope rings