The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 5, 2014, 08:47 AM   #26
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by skizzums:

me........

ive yet to have any kind of malfunction in probably 10k rounds loaded and half of those I have casted, every powder manufacturer has the info I need online, at least enough to make an educated guess in-between weights.
Most on-line reloading manuals from powder and bullet manufacturers are everybit as good and correct as the printed and bound versions. So it's not really like one does not have a manual and is just making wild stabs at correct components and powder charges. If one has a computer and internet access, they have several published manuals at their fingertip with tested load recipes. Along with several printed manuals I've bought over the years, I also print off load recipes from bullet/powder manufacture's websites and put them in my own "load book". For me, having the printed info, right at my reloading bench works best for me.

Still, some folks are too lazy to look up info on their own, either in a bound manual or online and prefer just to ask random strangers on the internet for recipes. Then there are those with improper components asking for a recipe for that combo because they cannot find one anywhere and there must be something they can do with it. These are examples where I just shake my head.........
Old September 5, 2014, 09:30 AM   #27
David Bachelder

I have about four manuals and I reference them frequently. I see differences between them for the same bullet. I believe the manuals serve a good purpose.

I get reload information directly from Hodgdon's website and I have had great success with it, to date, all reload info has been good and I haven't had any problems.

I don't really see the absolute need for a manual as long as the powder/bullet manufacturers have listed data. The need for a manual to understand the reloading process is a different matter.

My thoughts:
Manuals are good but they are not absolutely necessary as long as good data is available from reputable manufacturers online. The data is updated from time to time, the books are updated less frequently and sometimes contain dated information. Website data is normally updated more frequently. New powders come along all the time.

OCYMMV
Old September 5, 2014, 09:32 AM   #28
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I have one paper manual (Lyman 49th).

It is handy for quick reference but otherwise lives for the TEOTWAWKI when there won't be any internet or electricity to run QuickLoad.

As long as I have internet, there's 2 dozen manuals worth of free, official data available.
Old September 5, 2014, 10:25 AM   #29
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Pfleuger:

I have one paper manual (Lyman 49th).

It is handy for quick reference but otherwise lives for the TEOTWAWKI when there won't be any internet or electricity to run QuickLoad.

As long as I have internet, there's 2 dozen manuals worth of free, official data available.
I think those with multi printed manuals are for the most part, folks that have been reloading longer than the internet has been around or before it became the well used source of information is it today. Similar to land lines and snail mail, bound manuals are a thing of the past. In the last month I have read half a dozen novels.....all on my laptop. Heck....I even have "The ABCs of Reloading" downloaded on my Kindle account. While I have at least a half-dozen bound manuals, odds are that number will not change, just the pages I print off and stick in my loose leaf binder will change. With the amount of valid information out there, and available for free, it's just plain foolish to make estimated guesses on loads and components. With the array of great reloading videos available on YouTube, it's foolish to demand new reloaders use printed directions(as per the "get at least three manuals and read them cover to cover twice before you even think about starting"). We as reloaders are blessed to have so much valid, tested and available information out there as compared to even a decade ago. If we have a computer and a internet connection, we do have manuals.
Old September 5, 2014, 11:47 AM   #30
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have somewhere around 50 loading manuals...

Of course, most of them are antiques, and part of my personal reference library/collection, and have information on powders that haven't been available since before World War II...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 5, 2014, 12:19 PM   #31
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I would actually enjoy collecting them and would buy old ones if I found them.

I was thinking a few weeks ago how cool it would be to have the other 48 editions of the Lyman. I found some older ones, can't remember now if they were on eBay or where.... they get EXPENSIVE as they get old.
Old September 5, 2014, 12:26 PM   #32
Clark

Quote:
Mike Irwin
I have somewhere around 50 loading manuals...
I think the best thing I can to with a stagnant number of that many load manuals is to make a list, put them on a shelf, and let them collect dust.

But for a growing collection of guns, scopes, reloading dies, chamber reamers, barrels, and stocks, I think that excel spreadsheet for each category is the way to track them.

As for annually purchasing an update for Quickload, I keep a journal of the phone conversations.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 5, 2014, 09:52 PM   #33
skizzums

after seeing my post quoted, it became apparent that I was telling a bold faced lie. I cannot say I have NEVER had a malfunction in 10k rounds loaded.......just not a malfunction due to improper load data. when I first started I made a mess of a bunch of things, my most recent being not sizing a few hundred rounds that I PC'd, all had to be pulled because too big to chamber.
Old September 5, 2014, 10:13 PM   #34
trigger643

Get about 80% of my data off the internet. Still refer to Lyman 49th and Berger Handbooks. Gave away a half dozen others.
Old September 6, 2014, 07:47 AM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

"put them on a shelf, and let them collect dust."

That's sort of the point of collecting something that's old and obsolete.

To have it for the sake of having it, not because it's useful.

Old September 6, 2014, 02:25 PM   #36
T. O'Heir

Suspect it has more to do with idleness than anything else. Governments have conditioned people to think their mommy follows 'em around doing everything for them. A lot of new shooters/reloaders don't want to spend the time to properly work up a load and don't seem to understand that every rifle/handgun must have its own loads.
"...Quickload..." Far too many variables to be trusting a programmer. Most of who don't shoot.
"...As long as I have internet, there's 2 dozen manuals..." Most of which are incomplete at the very least. And no more up to date than a manual.
Old September 6, 2014, 03:24 PM   #37
William T. Watts

Hodgdon's Reloading Data Manual Number 20 1967

Hodgdon number 20 data manual was my 1st, I have a total of 3 Hodgdon books, 2 Lyman, 2 Nosler, 2 Hornady, 1 Sierra, 1 Speer and 6 MidwayUSA one caliber manuals. The oldest is the Hodgdon Reloading Data number 20 published in 1967 which makes it more than 45 years old. There is a lot of data available on the internet now but I still prefer a current manual in my hands for confirmation of current data.. I have 17 manuals that I can refer to! I also use imrpowder.com a lot plus it's user friendly and easy to use.. I like T.O'Heir's post too... William
Old September 7, 2014, 12:49 AM   #38
jmorris

I have a bunch of them but I would not have as many if the Internet existed when I started reloading.

I can get data from the manufactures website now as fast as I can look up information in all the books.
Old September 7, 2014, 01:36 AM   #39
Sevens

In actual manuals in book form, I can list mine quickly. Lyman 48 & 49, Speer#11, Nosler 6.

My most often used printed source of published, test load data? That's my '05 Alliant guide. I have numerous printed guides from Hercules, Alliant, Hodgdon, Accurate and IMR and I wouldn't trade them for any manual. Manuals can be extremely interesting and entertaining reading, but I prefer the load data from powder manufacturers/distributors.

My most often used data source? Without a doubt, it's my personal log... what I've made & tried, which ones were good or fantastic, those are the ones I refer back to most often.
Old September 7, 2014, 07:07 AM   #40
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...Quickload..." Far too many variables to be trusting a programmer. Most of who don't shoot.

Most "programmers" might not be shooters but you might want to check on the guy behind QuickLoad. His name is Helmut Brömel and he is a world- renowned internal ballistics expert with many decades of experience.
Old September 7, 2014, 12:58 PM   #41
0351_Vet

1 hardback: Sierra 5th
Old September 8, 2014, 12:46 AM   #42
Barnacle Brad

Waall yanno... I am just glad that we haven't ended up in Dukesville, or Fist City.

Prudent gentlemen find the value of both the printed media and the electronic media. There are times when data can be found in one and not the other. The beauty is that the data exists! When it doesn't we make educated guesses based on what does exist and when not sure we ask stupid questions on TFL at the risk of life and limb and future credibility.

If I had the space and rubles I would have manuals from all my favorite bullet and powder manufacturers. Since I don't I find it comforting to be able browse the net for that elusive recipe, and print it out for my log.

I will take quality over quantity any day...
Old September 8, 2014, 06:22 AM   #43
Bart B.

One old Sierra Bullets manual's the only hard-copy printed one I've got.
Old September 8, 2014, 08:44 AM   #44
rclark

Probably around 10 with a bunch of articles in Binders. Only time I use them now is researching a new powder as I now have all of my 'pet' loads figured out that I use for general/woods use for all the cartridges I shoot. I do/will buy the latest as they usually have more/other powders listed. Even though I work with computers as my profession, I LIKE printed books/manuals.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 8, 2014, 10:52 AM   #45
Barnacle Brad

Quote:
I LIKE printed books/manuals.
Right?

It is nice to be able to sit in the easy chair and study while the ball game is going!

Kindle is good for that too...
Old September 8, 2014, 11:41 AM   #46
Marco Califo

What are Printed Manuals

Q: What are Printed Manuals?
A: Instructions & Data

Re: Data: The evolution is obviously headed toward a central database of published load data. What we have on this site now is a "fair" second choice. This will then be the most available and authoritative single source. Some websites have tried to "do" or "be" this with searchable databases. I have not found the perfect one yet. I look forward to being able to download the whole file in one spreadsheet or similar format. Until then, I copy the bits I need for my calibers, powders and bullets.

Re: Instructions: When I need a refresher I find and access the manufactures instructions online. Once I find it, I save it for future reference.

Paper is obsolete. It is flammable. The fire that burned the world's library in Alexandria was the biggest disaster to befall the ancient Greeks. Fortunately, technology has evolved since then.
Old September 8, 2014, 12:34 PM   #47
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Paper is obsolete. It is flammable."

So's your computer.

I proved that a couple of years ago.

And 500 years from now we should still be able to read a lot of paper. There are HUGE amounts of data from various lunar and deep space missions that were never examined, but which are now effectively lost because the machinery to recover it has been lost.

Old September 8, 2014, 12:37 PM   #48
49willys

I have 13 manuals ranging from the very latest Nosler to sierra and hornady second editions.
Old September 8, 2014, 07:10 PM   #49
zeke

Every time I actually need something, the computer/server/service breaks down.

It can be interesting to actually see how old some of the loads in current manuals actually are. A lot of em done by reading cases or other precise means.

I like books.
Old September 8, 2014, 07:41 PM   #50
rclark

Quote:
Fortunately, technology has evolved since then.
All this technology breaks down if the electricy fails (the lights go out) and/or the wires are cut so to speak. What good is data 'out there' when you can't reach it (or you must 'pay' a monthly fee to access it... I see this happening right now with cell phone/smart phone owners, you pay to play... you stop paying and ... no access... then what). Hmmm.... Technology is 'good'... But a good set of wrenches beats a broken machine anytime .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.