The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 20, 2011, 08:33 PM   #1
waymore

Country Outlaw Shoots man in bar and walks free

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/90360204.html

I was listening to a song on the radio today that reminded of interesting shooting involving famous country musician and song writer Billy Joe shaver. The song is "where do you want it" reffering to the words Shaver said to his shooting victim as he pointed a gun at him and fired at his face.

Shaver was apparently aggravated by a younger man at the bar who said something to his lady friend that offended him. The victim was genuinely beein an arrogant jerk. At one point the guy harrassing shaver stirred his drink with a knife proving that he did have a weapon capable of causing harm to the older Shaver. Doesnt seem to be reason enough to ask a man to step outside and shoot him In my eyes.

Long story short the trial seemed like Shaver was Cocky and arrogant. He had a high profile lawyer and got off any serious charges. (Billy Joe shaver) "I'm from Texas. If I were chicken s***, I would have left, but I'm not."

What is your take on this verdict?

Did his Texan music hero status play a factor?

What is your take on the rights of Shaver and his actions?
Old June 20, 2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Don H

Is this related to Tactics and Training somehow? I guess I'm missing the connection.
Old June 20, 2011, 09:06 PM   #3
sigcurious

It does somewhat remind me about an incident involving an elderly lady and some kids. Kid got shot, fortunately not fatally, and the lady was cleared in self defense. The basic story was her place had been vandalized by these kids, one day after calling the police about some vandalism she see's them outside her house again, confronts them, they throw stuff, she shoots.

I make the comparison because in both cases there was threat presented that,with the information available, may or may not be, considered ok to defend with lethal force.

My guess is that it had more to do with the age difference between the two people, and the previous brandishing of a knife, than celebrity status. It's tough to tell from the article.
Old June 20, 2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Eghad

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight? Don't brandish and threaten somebody with a weapon?

Don't have a handgun in a place licensed for liquor in Texas its a felony!

NRA Life Member
Old June 20, 2011, 09:14 PM   #5
waymore

Don, The connection would be that and elderly man is confronted with aggressive behavior by a man that is younger and carrying a weapon. Did he have the right to protect himself? what lesser forms of protection would be suggested. I feel like questions of legality and law have a place in this forum and are brought up from time to time. A big part of any shooting has to deal with the aftermath. So I do wonder if this man was just in his actions and defense or if this is a one off rulling that would not be extended to common people.
Old June 20, 2011, 09:21 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Sometimes a really good attorney can make up for a really bad decision and a lack of good sense.

That said, as pointed out, this is really a question for L&CR, not a T&T topic.