The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 22, 2008, 11:52 AM   #1
sholling

Scope For 300 Win Mag

Thanks to all of the fine advice here I managed to find a great scope for my 223 varmint rifle. Now it's time to re-scope my Tikka T3 Lite in 300WM. I have a 4-16x44 that works great but doesn't have enough eye relief (ouch!) and I'm thinking Nikon Buckmaster in 4.5-14x40. That's easily in my budget. If I had to I could stretch it to a Monarch in 2.5-10x42 or 3-12x42 or maybe a 4-16x42 but that's a lot of money for a scope I'll use once a year. Most of the time it will be used for 100-200yards but I do have my heart set on Nikon's BDC reticle even if I don't really need it. It would just be nice to have for that once in a lifetime shot. Thoughts? All of these are 3.7-4" eye relief scopes.

Last edited by sholling; May 22, 2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old May 23, 2008, 01:21 AM   #2
sholling

Ok let me rephrase the question. What magnification range for a 300WM for hunting at 50-300yds? 2.5-10x42 or 3-12x42 or maybe a 4-16x42?
Old May 23, 2008, 05:22 PM   #3
Hello123

If a hunting gun, 2.5-10x42, plain old 3x9x40, or a 2-7x32, also a simple reticle. Invest in good mounts/rings and a quality simple scope. If for hunting you won't regret it. If for target, get higher magnification and finger turrets. I find I can shoot accurate groups with lower magnification, but the higher mag is more enjoyable for target work. For hunting, keep it durable and simple.

By the way, for a 200 yard shot with a 300 win mag, just sight in 1.5-2 inches high at 100 and you can shoot out to 300 with a direct hold on a deer sized game. Skip the confusing reticle unless necessary. By the way, a prostaff in a nikon is all you need. I have both Monarch and prostaff's.
Old May 23, 2008, 10:07 PM   #4
sholling

Discontinued Nikon Monarch or Discontinued Bushnell 4200?

Thank you. I've just about decided to go with a Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40. Supposedly it's the same as the discontinued Monarch UCC. The rifle is a Tikka T3 Lite so the mount is built in and I have excellent rings for it already. The 4-16 scope I have on there has a claimed eye relief of 3.5" but in reality it's closer to 2.5". I'd rather have a 2-10 or 3-12 but I can live with 3-9 if the quality is there. After all it's a once or twice a year hunting rifle and not a target shooter.

Given the choice of discontinued Nikon Monarch or discontinued Bushnell 4200 Elite both new with full warranty and both 3-9x40 what's the better play? The Nikon is on sale for $50 cheaper.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:06 AM   #5
sholling

Update

I ordered the Nikon Team Primos (Monarch UCC) 3-9x40. It may not have superman-eyes magnification but that should give me a nice real world range and it has almost 4" of eye relief.

I think I got a pretty good deal at a $200.