The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 20, 2016, 05:55 PM   #1
Stats Shooter

Opinions on the Leopold Mark AR scope

I'm looking at scopes for my varmint AR. It has a 20" stainless bull barrel. I like Swarovski scopes, I have 2 of them. I also like the Leupold mark 4's but I'm not sure I need that quality of glass for night hunting coyotes at 250 yards and in. I was looking at the leupold mark AR....any opinions of this scope?
Old September 21, 2016, 01:35 PM   #2
CLC

I have the AR mod 1 3-9x40 on my .223 remington 700 and I like it, especially the mildots. That being said the magnification isn't all that great. Another even cheaper option is a Redfield 3-9x40 which from my understanding is the same exact scope.
Old September 22, 2016, 05:48 AM   #3
bedlamite

I had a chance to look through the Mark AR 1.5-4 and compare it to the VX3 1.5-5 outside after dark. The VX3 is definitely the better scope, it was much easier to see in low light.
Old September 22, 2016, 06:30 AM   #4
TMD

I have the Mark AR 3-9x40 and while it works great at 100 yards or more I have to say it has the worst parallax under that distance. At 50 yards with the gun in a lead sled the reticle can be off by almost 2" in any direction depending. I know most fixed parallax scopes can be off at distances less than what their set for but this one is the worst I've ever seen.
Old September 22, 2016, 07:29 PM   #5
Stats Shooter

Ok, well I may just get another Nikon monarch then, or a vx 3....I was just curious since I hadn't looked through one
Old September 22, 2016, 11:35 PM   #6
bedlamite

I did some checking, apparently the Mark AR uses the same glass as the VX1, and the Mark 4 is the same glass as the VX3.

I've had to deal with Nikons warranty once when a zoom locked up, after that experience I will never purchase anything from them again.
Old September 23, 2016, 11:11 PM   #7
Stats Shooter

"I did some checking, apparently the Mark AR uses the same glass as the VX1, and the Mark 4 is the same glass as the VX3.

I've had to deal with Nikons warranty once when a zoom locked up, after that experience I will never purchase anything from them again"

Well fortunately I have had good luck with my Nikon scopes. I have a leupold VX-3 and a Swarovski. I looked both , especially the Swarovski but that was a $1k scope. I was hoping to get a good $500 scope but if I cant find what I want, and I'm going to have to spend $7-800 anyway, then I'll just get a Swarovski Z3 4-12

Tags
leupold mark ar , leupold. , scope