The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 21, 2017, 05:26 PM   #1
MINSH101

What make and model of 9mm do you have?

I'm in the need of a new firearm. I've decided on a 9mm so my wife could use it.

What make and model of 9mm do you have? I had Taurus PT99, but gave it to my son. Just curious as to what is being used nowadays.

Thank you
Old May 21, 2017, 05:59 PM   #2
BigJimP

For me, a full sized 1911, wilson combat, 5 " gun....is my primary gun for range and carry in 9mm.

But i also have..in 9mm:
. a Kimber, 4", tactical pro II model, alloy frame...
Sig 239 model...basic one, DA/SA trigger
Sig 226, all stainless, full sized gun, DA/SA trigger

All solid guns....but If i only wanted one, it would be the wilson 5" Protector, all stainless handsdown.

Lots of good options in 9mm out there today...
Old May 21, 2017, 06:59 PM   #3
claydoctor

Check out the CZ line of 9mm's. High quality for not a lot of money.
Old May 21, 2017, 07:11 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
What make and model of 9mm do you have? I had Taurus PT99, but gave it to my son. Just curious as to what is being used nowadays.
nines? OK.

Glock 19, Gen 3. A few minor mods -- night sights that are about pooped out by now, Lone Wolf barrel, ground down the finger grooves.

XDS9, the 3.3 inch version, in "Flat Dark Erf". This one actually gets carried sometimes. Difficult for me to shoot well.

Star M-43 Firestar. Think "Sig 938, but all steel". Heavy little bugger.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 21, 2017, 07:11 PM   #5
KyJim

You may want to set some parameters first. How much is your budget? Do you want a "full size" gun strictly for home defense or one that can be carried?

There are a number of fine 9mm handguns right now. I would suggest looking at the Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 in 9mm, either the full size or the Compact. They have an interchangeable backstrap to fit different size hands. The 2.0 has a better trigger than the "older" model, though they are still out there as new stock. If this is to be for concealed carry the SW M&P Shield is worth considering -- it has the better trigger in it. I recently bought one and like it so far. S&W is offering some rebates on the Shield right now so that you may be able to find one in the $250-70 range after rebate.

There are other good choices out there. I would suggest you and your wife go to a local gun store and try handling a few.
Old May 21, 2017, 08:13 PM   #6
Auto5

Browning Hi Power and Kimber Solo
Old May 21, 2017, 08:22 PM   #7
ritepath

Pretty easy.....CZ p-01. A jack of all trades, and master of 3.

Excellent HD, good at CC, and excellent at target shooting, and of course dead solid perfect reliability.

There is also the PCR if you don't feel the need for a rail, makes it a little better for conceal carry.
Old May 21, 2017, 08:39 PM   #8
LockedBreech

I've had pretty much one of everything (Beretta 92, HK VP9, Sig 226, 229, SP2022, Smith M&P) and always end up coming back to the Generation 4 Glock 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 21, 2017, 09:03 PM   #9
wizzamen

I do not know your wife's skill level with a pistol, but if you need a 9mm that has a really easy slide to rack take a look at the SIG P320 in 9mm.
Old May 21, 2017, 09:07 PM   #10
sigarms228

Since you are going to share it with your wife you might want to consider a poly frame pistol that has changeable back straps and maybe even palm inserts.

The ones I own and really work well for me are the Walther PPQ, HK VP9, and HK P30L but most poly frame pistols have changeable back straps including the Gen 4 Glocks. The SIG P320 series has changeable poly frames that go for about $40.

If you want metal frame hammer fired pistol it is hard to go wrong with SIG P226 and P229. Of course the Beretta 92FS is terrific too and you are familiar with that.
Old May 21, 2017, 09:14 PM   #11
K_Mac

With all due respect MINSH101, asking what 9mm I have or prefer is not relevant to which one you should buy for your wife. What is your wife going to use it for? What is her level of training and experience? What is your budget? What does she like?

There are many considerations after the above has been answered. Material, system of operation, sights, safeties, and capacity to name a few. We need more information.
Old May 21, 2017, 09:26 PM   #12
GarandTd

I have a SAR K2P 9mm. Full size polymer frame, compact slide. Adjustable sights. DA/SA hammer fired. 16+1 capacity and compatible with Mec-gar CZ 75B 17 and 19 round mags. I've been very happy with it. It is a Turkish CZ clone.

Edit: Also has ambi safety and I believe the mag release can be swapped to the other side for lefties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20170521_222409_129.jpg (207.3 KB, 115 views)
Old May 21, 2017, 11:14 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Ruger P95DC (decocker-only, no safety). Lovingly called, "The Brick" by my family. It eats anything we throw at it, and does so happily. Not the most refined. Not the highest of quality. Sights leave something to be desired. But durable, usable, and perfectly adequate.

Browning Hi-Power. A little higher end than the Ruger. Much more my style. Very low round count (300 rounds ... maybe). But, not in my possession right now. I haven't shot it in a very long time (decades).

Beretta 92S (decocker, Italian Police trade-in). New acquisition. I hated the M9 while I was in the military, and still believe it's a poor choice for the troops. But, I've been second guessing myself over the last 4-5 years, wondering if my hatred and bias are based primarily on my military opinion and the worn-out, beaten, battered, and nasty M9s that we had to deal with; rather than decent examples in civilian use. So, I bought a cheap one to screw with, to see if I'm wrongly accusing the pistol of being such a pile of poop...

The newest of the bunch was made in 1998...
Old May 22, 2017, 03:29 AM   #14
kozak6

Glocks are excellent pistols and very popular. Probably a 17 or 19 depending on what size you want. The ergonomics are terrible, but a lot of people don't mind.

The trend these days is towards ergonomic single action style striker pistols. Definitely look into the Walther PPQ, Sig P320, HK VP9, or maybe the Ruger American.

CZ makes great stuff too. Their P10/P10C are the hot new thing, but it will be tough to find one.

I have a VP9, mostly because I got a great deal. The trigger and ergonomics are fairly impressive. The interchangeable side and rear grip panels are neat as they allow you to customize the grip just for you.
Old May 22, 2017, 05:24 AM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The trend these days is towards ergonomic single action style striker pistols.
Irony.
As much as I respect all action types, your post made me realize that every semi-auto pistol that I own is hammer-fired (even the Ruger LCP!). And... most of them are DA/SA (the SA-only Hi-Power being the only exception that I can think of).

I guess I'm stuck in the past...
Old May 22, 2017, 05:58 AM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim
You may want to set some parameters first. How much is your budget? Do you want a "full size" gun strictly for home defense or one that can be carried?
I'm with KyJim on this. There are an almost staggering number of good 9mm guns on the market right now. Setting some parameters would help. What we might suggest for a sub-$700 pocket pistol will be very different from what we would suggest if you're looking for a sub-$1500 range gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim
I would suggest you and your wife go to a local gun store and try handling a few.
Spending some time handling or (even better) shooting a variety of guns would certainly help narrow down the choices. Also, a trip to The Cornered Cat might prove useful.

When I bought my one and only 9mm, I wanted a jack-of-all-trades gun: house/CC/range gun. I also wanted something that my wife could use in a pinch. I got a Gen 4 Glock 19. She (my pistol, not my wife) has just over 2k rounds fired, and has been ~1500 rounds without any trouble whatsoever. (knocks on wood). That said, while I really like that mid-sized/compact size and really like my Glock, there are a metric ton of good guns in that size: S&W M&P, Ruger SR9c, CZ 75 Compact, CZ P07, the XD/XDM line, and the list goes on from there.
Old May 22, 2017, 06:14 AM   #17
GarandTd

OP asked what make and model we have. Not what is popular and not what would specifically fit his wife. Lots of good suggestions, but wandering a bit from the original question.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:01 AM   #18
TailGator

My primary EDC is a Glock 26. My wife and daughters shoot it well. Mine is a generation 3. A close friend just bought a generation 4 and really appreciated the different choices in backstraps. If concealment is not a factor, going larger might be wise if the hand fit for both of you is good.

Other 9s in my stable are Berettas. The 92FS has a pretty big grip, but there is something solid about its feel that a lot of people like. My wife loves it. A PX4 Compact is the favorite of one of my daughters. (It actually belongs to her, but it lives with me because she lives in a city where gun possession is unfairly regulated.) Another nice shooter, feels very nice in the hand, and has interchangeable backstraps for different sized hands. Neither of the Berettas are going to conceal well for most women, but would be good home defense and range guns.

As others have said, understanding your intended uses would help readers make more pointed comments and suggestions.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:45 PM   #19
Crankylove

C series Browning Hi Power.

Nothing fits the hand better.
Old May 25, 2017, 03:29 AM   #20
tallball

What I have is kind of random:

Taurus 99, has shot great for over 25 years. You gave your son a nice gift.

Browning High Power is kind of old-fashioned and single-action. It fits my hand well and I have had it even longer than the Taurus.

CZ75 is my favorite. Mine is the older large frame version. I have four in different calibers.

Star Super B is another old-fashioned single-action pistol. It looks and feels like a 1911. It is very sturdy and shoots well.

9mm Tokarev from China is yet another OF DA pistol. The reader may notice that I prefer full-sized service pistols. I feel that SA is just fine for the range, plinking, and HD.

Glock - mine is a small one, but a G17 is a very solid gun for anything that doesn't require concealment.

I may have a couple more. That's all I can think of just now. Basically any full-sized service pistol is probably pretty good. I prefer steel and hammers to plastic and strikers, but there are tons of good 9mm pistols out there that are suitably reliable and accurate.
Old May 25, 2017, 07:54 AM   #21
FITASC

Quote:
I've decided on a 9mm so my wife could use it.
What did SHE decide?

(Happy wife, happy life )
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 25, 2017, 09:44 AM   #22
JWT

The CZ series of 9 mm s is very nice. Good, solid, affordable.

My favorite 9 is my DW Guardian 1911. Great gun but not inexpensive.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:05 AM   #23
vba

I own Sigs P225, P228, P226 and P938 that are all very nice shooters.

Also, Glocks 17, 19, 26, 34 and 43, I've got 9mm Glocks covered and all of them are very reliable.

Lastly, own a Ruger LC9s that shoots good but has some kind of trigger slap against my trigger finger that I find painful after 50 rounds. But in a defense situation this would not be an issue.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:13 AM   #24
pete2

Beretta FS 92
Citadel 1911
Ruger LC9
Old May 25, 2017, 10:34 AM   #25
RickB

I was just reading a review of the Walther Creed, which was given very high marks in spite of a low price.
I had a Walther CCP for a brief time, another attempt by Walther at an affordable pistol, and though my example shot OK, it has been widely condemned by the press.

My only modern 9mm is a SIG P938, which is a very light, compact "hide-out" type pistol, and while it is becoming one of my favorites, it's anything but a general purpose pistol.