The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2017, 04:16 PM   #1
PolarFBear

Lee Double Cavity Mould failed

Breaking in a new 115 grain .358 Lee Double Cav mould. Cleaned and smoked the holes. Still took about 15 casts to "iron out the wrinkles". After about 85 "drops" one of the pins holding the case half to the handle fell out. My lead temp was just shy of 700 degrees casting w/w and a little linotype. Suggestions on putting it back in to stay stuck in place.
Old May 10, 2017, 07:41 PM   #2
P Flados

If this is one of the current set of molds, the pin has spiral splines and an allen head in the end.

These pins just "press fit" into place.

I recently bought a "blank mold" of this version and modified it to use hand fabricate main pins held in place "by external means".

There a a number of choices. I would start with just driving it back in and then see if it will stay. If it does not want to stay, you could stake it in place or you could replace it with a screw.
Old May 10, 2017, 08:13 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Stick it and stake it.

If that doesn't work, buy a better mold.
(Not bashing Lee. I own them as well. ...But they're cheap, nasty, cheese-grade molds.)
Old May 10, 2017, 10:59 PM   #4
Pathfinder45

I like my Lee molds. But let's face it, aluminum is not as durable as iron or brass, therefore, they can more easily be damaged. I have had to make improvised repairs on my most heavily used mold. But it is still making good bullets and when it is beyond repair, it won't owe me anything. I would replace it with another identical mold.
Old May 11, 2017, 07:24 AM   #5
PolarFBear

P Flados

Even though it was "new" this must be an old style mould. No allen head, just a straight pin. I guess I will just try to "upset" the pin and hammer it in again. Lee maybe cheap but make pretty good bullets. I find no better in Lyman or Redding that I have.
Old May 11, 2017, 01:27 PM   #6
Pathfinder45

Yeah, they make good bullets.
Old May 11, 2017, 03:03 PM   #7
mikld

I have several Lee molds and one of the newer ones with the press fit aligning pins. Aluminum expands much quicker than steel and on a mold with steel pins and an aluminum body, when the mold heats up the hole for the pin expands and the pin becomes loose. I sorta knurled the shaft of the pin with a cold chisel (used the chisel to raise ridges around the OD of the pin, making a much tighter fit, and assembled with high temp locktite...

http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/produ...=8797948444673

Last edited by mikld; May 12, 2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old May 12, 2017, 09:09 AM   #8
F. Guffey

Quote:
My lead temp was just shy of 700 degrees casting w/w and a little linotype. Suggestions on putting it back in to stay stuck in place.
If you were melting lead I would think 618 degree would be a good target heat and if you were using tin at 10% 577 degree would be a good choice and then there is 20% tin, that would be 532 degree.

F. Guffey
Old May 14, 2017, 06:50 AM   #9
Mike / Tx

Ive poured a LOT of bullets through Lee molds with alloy ranging in temp from around 685 up through around 725 degrees. Yes it is around this point that the pins seem to become loose.

Like mentioned above I have used a chisel to put a few raised places on the pins, and also once put back into place used a center punch to lightly peen the top of the pin hole on the mold so the pin was held in place there as well.

I haven't had any issues with loose pins since doing that.
Old May 15, 2017, 08:31 AM   #10
F. Guffey

Quote:
I haven't had any issues with loose pins since doing that.
One day I decided I would make a few bullet holds. The molds did not look like molds a reloader/caster would recognize because the two half's were not pinned on hinges..

F. Guffey