The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 1, 2017, 03:41 PM   #1
MandolinMan

Legality of carrying multiple pistols

In what states is it legal or illegal to carry more than one handgun?

Honestly this is not something that I've even seen addressed before. I know the practice of carrying a backup pistol or 'New York reload' is quite common, and I have done so on rare occasions. I feel almost silly now for having carried for several years and never even considered this question.

I got to thinking about it this morning while watching a Youtube video where the guy claimed that in many states carrying a second gun is illegal.He pointed out that the wording of many states permits is singular, such as: " License to carry handgun".

Is this accurate? Where would I go to find the answer to this question?

Thanks
Old May 1, 2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Doyle

Well, first thought is that the states where your CCW permit is tied to a specific handgun would be likely candidates for such a problem.
Old May 1, 2017, 04:33 PM   #3
JJE

I don't think that carrying multiple handguns under a valid permit is generally regulated by states. Meaning that the state law that provides for concealed carry generally doesn't say: this exception to the prohibition against concealed carry only applies to X number of guns at a time.

In WA state, the law doesn't say this and my permit doesn't say this, so I believe I can carry an unlimited number of guns. More practically, this means I can go to the shooting range and all of the guns in my trunk are covered by the permit, so it isn't an issue whether they are loaded, locked, etc.

The obvious exception is a state, like CA, where you have a limited number of specific guns listed on your permit - this may be a CA county-by-county restriction rather than a state law provision, but I have the impression (I read calguns.net a lot) that most CA permit-holders have 3 specific, permitted guns, max.

California Rifle & Pistol Association, SAF and NRA Life Member
Old May 1, 2017, 04:48 PM   #4
kenny53

In Utah we don't need a permit to own guns. With a CC we can carry what ever handgun we choose and how many we choose. The most I have carried is 3 just because I wanted to. I do carry 2 most of the time, with a spare mag for my primary.
Old May 1, 2017, 06:25 PM   #5
Fogey

Carrying one gun too many

Same with me. It's just as easy to pack two KT P32/s or P3AT/s with extra shot magazines over one weapon and a bunch of mags.

I've carried a G29 and a G 21 on occasion in deep woods, concealed under a light jacket. Much easier than a heavy Rifle or short Shotgun. Or a heavy magnum revolver with only six shots.

I will soon be able to carry a 30 shot magnum pistol or two, (PMR30/s), very light work. IWB or side pocketed.

Or two G42 with 10 shot mags.

I also pack a WA state CCW.
Old May 1, 2017, 06:35 PM   #6
Wyosmith

Wyoming = Constitutional Carry.
Carry as many as you can lift if you want.
Old May 1, 2017, 06:55 PM   #7
Arizona Fusilier

You can pack like Pancho Villa here in Arizona, concealed or otherwise. State citizens no longer need a permit to carry concealed.

I concur with the weapon-specific permit observations​; but best for everbody to consult their state law specifically.
Old May 1, 2017, 07:02 PM   #8
Vulcannut

Wyoming and Arizona - two states I would move to

In the communist state of CT they don't regulate how many guns you can own or carry as long as you have a permit. They do limit the mag to 10 rounds. So if I wanted to carry 5 guns with 3 mags each no problem just as long as no mag has more than 10 capacity. Dumb ass politicians.

CT sucks!
Old May 1, 2017, 07:12 PM   #9
JoeSixpack

Ohio, no limit although last I checked you had to have it in a holster, no mexican carry.
Old May 1, 2017, 07:35 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Most states that allow carry do not limit the number of guns that can be carried, even though a strict reading of the law or regulations might seem to impose a limit; in practice, gravity imposes the limit. If you can't move, you probably are carrying too many guns.

Jim
Old May 1, 2017, 07:47 PM   #11
weblance

Ohio has no requirement to carry a handgun in a holster
Old May 1, 2017, 07:49 PM   #12
JoeSixpack

Weblance when did they change this? I could have swore this was the case when I got mine in 2008, at the very least it use to be a requirement in vehicles which I know they changed.
Old May 2, 2017, 09:50 AM   #13
TailGator

New Mexico allows only one handgun to be carried at a time. I thought I remembered reading that such was the case, and checked it at handgunlaw.us. Odd provision - I am not aware of any other jurisdiction making that specific restriction.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:31 AM   #14
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSixpack
Weblance when did they change this? I could have swore this was the case when I got mine in 2008, at the very least it use to be a requirement in vehicles which I know they changed
Ive had my license since 2010, I never remembered anything about holstering a concealed handgun, so I took a look at the current booklet and there is no mention of holstering.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:51 PM   #15
JoeSixpack

I will have to get back to you on that.
I think it was SB17 that removed transport restrictions but I'll have to dig a bit deeper not sure where to find old revisions of the ORC.

ya know originally you had to have the gun in "plain sight" while in the car even for CHL's.
CC was brought kicking and screaming to this state and the laws are convoluted at best.
Old May 2, 2017, 04:28 PM   #16
CDR_Glock

I carry two guns. A Glock 19 MOS and a S&W 640 357 Magnum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old May 2, 2017, 06:19 PM   #17
Deaf Smith

In Texas you can carry as many as you want.

You can hang 'em like Christmas tree ornaments.

Deaf
Old May 2, 2017, 08:05 PM   #18
Gary Slider

New Mexico only allows the carrying of ONE concealed handgun. New Mexico is an open carry state and you can carry one concealed and 1 million openly and be within their laws but concealing two is a No No. New Mexico is the only state that only allows the carrying of one concealed firearm.

Some states do require that the firearms you carry to be listed on your permit to carry. Some states even regulate how many you can list on your permit. That could limit you to how many concealed you could carry but Handgunlaw.us knows of no state that only allows you to list just one.

Oklahoma is the only state that by law states you can't carry a handgun that is larger than a certain caliber. They only allow the carrying of a handgun up to 45 caliber.

In the past under DC's very old carry law you could only carry a 38 special revolver and only cartridges with lead round nose bullets. If I remember correctly there was even a max Feet Per Second that those bullets could travel to stay within the law. I do believe it was under 800fps but my memory is not 100% on that part. Someone else here may remember that law.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old May 2, 2017, 08:07 PM   #19
Arizona Fusilier

Wow Tailgator, I travel to New Mexico, hmmm, maybe once a year or so..... and I had never heard of that.

I reckon I will do some more current research.... because I think I might have "flaunted" that law.
Old May 2, 2017, 08:16 PM   #20
Arizona Fusilier

Thank you Gary Slider, our posts "crossed in the night".

Yeah, New Mexico has long been an open-carry state, and they did get a little "spun-up" when CCW arrived on the scene. They monitor permits​ closely, not that it matters to the Mexican banditos one bit.
Old May 2, 2017, 08:43 PM   #21
john in jax

In FL you can carry multiple handguns or weapons as long as it is not a long gun. FL issues a CWL (concealed weapons license)

Not positive but I think right next door in GA they are limited to just one (1) handgun but I would rather a GA CHL holder answer for sure.
Old May 2, 2017, 08:43 PM   #22
MandolinMan

Thanks guys, just what I was looking for.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:02 PM   #23
JoeSixpack

Quote:
Ive had my license since 2010, I never remembered anything about holstering a concealed handgun, so I took a look at the current booklet and there is no mention of holstering.
I stand corrected.

After some more digging there was never a requirement on the street.
There WAS a requirement for a holster or enclosed container in the car but that was removed with SB17.. so that must have been what I was remembering.
Old May 3, 2017, 01:31 AM   #24
TheDevilThatYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in jax
...Not positive but I think right next door in GA they are limited to just one (1) handgun but I would rather a GA CHL holder answer for sure...
Georgia does not regulate the number of firearms that one may carry, either openly or concealed by the possessor of a Georgia Weapons Carry License (GWL, commonly).
Old May 3, 2017, 06:44 AM   #25
Spats McGee
Staff

Arkansas' statute authorizing concealed carry (as an exception to our "carrying a weapon" statute) reads as follows:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas General Assembly
(c) It is permissible to carry a weapon under this section if at the time of the act of carrying the weapon: . . . .

(8) The person is in possession of a concealed handgun and has a valid license to carry a concealed handgun under § 5-73-301 et seq., or recognized under § 5-73-321 and is not in a prohibited place as defined by § 5-73-306; . . . .

Ark. Code Ann. § 5-73-120 (West)
While the statute doesn't come right out and say "you can only carry one," one interpretation that I've heard from LEOs is that the statute says a concealed handgun, so they believe that you can only carry one concealed handgun.

As to open carry, well, that's a different question entirely.