The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 16, 2017, 07:20 PM   #26
birdshot

I had a box of 30-30 ammo, in which about every third round was a dud. I hunted with those rounds for a couple of seasons. It was fun wondering if this round would fire when ever I sighted on an animal. I felt it was catch and release for deer and hogs.
Old February 16, 2017, 10:06 PM   #27
Tinbucket

Clickgoes the gun have any of you ever done this

More than once.Then I went deer hunting leaving my rifle ammo and billfold, 180 mils back home.
Heard two deer fighting, over a long time. Cover too thick to move in on them.
I st in a cope of trees and her comes very nice 8 pointer running. Easy shot. I kept pressing on the safety but it wouldn't budge.
It was a Wby MkV and the safety on right side behind bolt has to be rotated up.
I guess it was buck fever.
Then I put my pistol in the refrigerator, the phone in my holster. It fit fairly well. ....I dunno.
Old February 16, 2017, 10:19 PM   #28
big al hunter

I was sitting in one of my favorite elk spots as the morning light made the shadows fade. About the time I expected to see a herd of elk I heard a distant pop. Sounded like a 22 long rifle on the far side of the clear cut. Then another, and another. I thought " some knit wit is shooting at grouse on opening day of muzzle loader elk season". About 45 minutes later I walked over to see what was up. One of the other hunters was holding a rag on his hand and he was mad. He had a bull at 25 yards, broadside. His gun went pop several times. He thought the nipple was plugged, so he tried to pull the bullet. His hand slipped on the rod that was stuck down the barrel. A sharp burr cut his hand open. Come to find out, he had forgotten to load it. . It is public land .....So.... More elk for me
Old February 16, 2017, 10:55 PM   #29
North East Redneck

I think I've posted this before, but anyway, deer hunting with a muzzleloader. Was new to the black powder thing. Cleaned the gun the night before, thought I only used a little oil on it and had wiped it down well enough, thought the bore was clean and oil free. Never popped a primer through it. Hunted the whole next day and decided to fire it at a tree at the end of the day as I wasn't planning to hunt again that year as the season was almost over.
Apparently my cleaning wasn't as good as I thought. Must have had the 777 pellets soaking up oil all day. The primer went off, and then there was a noise that sounded like a whooshing sound. Out pops the bullet, bounced off the tree. One of the powder pellets following, and burning through the air.
Never have used oil on any black powder guns since, except for an external wipe down.
Really glad I never saw a deer that day.
So it wasn't a click, but still a misfire, user induced
Old February 16, 2017, 11:44 PM   #30
theblakester

I've done it myself hog hunting at night with an AR, and I've had a couple guests do it as well when they were with me. When you're out at night with flash lights, head lamps, IR lights, IR lasers, night vision, thermal, guns, magazines, knives, DVRs to record hunts, predator calls etc, every once in a while when im night hunting with lots of cool gear, something doesn't get checked off the list.. I try not to make a habit out of it but the few times it's happened it's usually when Im keeping an eye on someone else trying to safely show them a good time and having to prep extra gear for them. But no excuses... so ya I've screwed up and done it a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 19, 2017, 06:05 AM   #31
theblakester

..... I left the cable for my scopes MDVR at home tonight. Killed a decent sized boar, but no video :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 19, 2017, 10:40 AM   #32
deserted

Hunting with a Blackhawk one day, a real nice three point buck stopped only thirty feet away, looking back over his shoulder, did not see me at all. Took a bead on him and squeezed, but nothing happened. I was wearing fingerless wool gloves and the hammer spur got caught on the glove in the web between thumb and forefinger. The buck heard me cursing under my breath and took off. I did shoot a smaller one only moments later.
Old March 11, 2017, 09:16 PM   #33
jrothWA

Not a click but went out PPheasant hunting,,

ginger my Springer flushed a rooster.

Fired first and second shots and pulled the fore end off the O/U was using.
Ginger looked over her shoulder and gave me a "look" i will never forget!
Old March 13, 2017, 08:05 PM   #34
lefteye

Just read the last post and laughed out loud. Ginger was the name of my second Cocker Spaniel (about 66 years ago.) Ginger's color was . . .

Ginger . . . but more brown than red.

My first Cocker was Coke (as in black); not named after today's favorite self-poison.

Last edited by lefteye; March 13, 2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old March 13, 2017, 08:37 PM   #35
Blindstitch

Dogs are the worst buddies when you miss.

I have a friend who has a 10 year old Britney. Great dog but I think it's def.
We were hunting this field and Willy (the dog) was going wild. Left, right, left, right, fast slow. Must have been like that for 30-40 minutes. Then we reached a small road and out of a lone bush Willy flushed 3 pheasants. I shot one and Sean shot the other two. But Willy wouldn't fetch them.

I'm always quick to reload so mid reload on my double barrel Willy flushed a 4th. I pulled the gun up and click. The bird got a few more yards before the second barrel took it out.

It was a good day and Willy was rewarded heavily.

It's great watching a good dog work.
Old April 8, 2017, 06:37 PM   #36
double bogey

My BIL (now ex BIL) and I were varmint hunting. We came out of the edge of the woods and there was a coyote sitting about 15 yds. away. He had a .22 mag and I had a nylon 66 so I whispered to him to shoot it in the head. Well, he shot, and the coyote started turning in circles biting at its hind leg. I saw that it wasn't mortally wounded, so I shot it in the chest until it fell down.
He was the worst shot I ever saw. I could outshoot him with open sights when he had a scope, and if he had open sights with a rifle, I could outshoot him with a pistol.

When I shot a pump shotgun, it was common to pull the trigger on an empty chamber while in a hot dove field.
Old April 8, 2017, 08:28 PM   #37
Wyosmith

BIL????
Big Ignorant liberal?
Or something else?
Old April 8, 2017, 08:28 PM   #38
taylorce1

With a rimfire shooting prairie dogs, I've had several. With a centerfire rifle while hunting, never. Two separate times I've had nothing but my cap fire while muzzle loader hunting with deer in my sights, so I switched to inline and 209 ignition. I've never had a miss fire or hang fire since.
Old April 8, 2017, 09:14 PM   #39
ShootistPRS

Quote:
Wyosmith BIL????
Big Ignorant liberal?
Or something else?
I believe in this case it stands for "brother-in-law".
Old April 9, 2017, 10:31 AM   #40
Double Naught Spy

I have had it happen twice. Once was where I left on the safety on a Marlin 1895. The hammer dropped, but no boom. Reset and managed to drop the pig.

The other time was with an AR15 and I had a fouled firing pin that would not punch the primer hard enough. Partner covered for me and shot the pig.
Old April 9, 2017, 06:55 PM   #41
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Mucho difference between hunting a big bear and stopping an attack by one. In the first, the hunter has far more control over the situation; time to plan a shot, e.g. In the case of an attack, there is little time for other than sorta-aim and shoot--and hope.

When hunting caribou in an area known to include big bears, don't be in Condition Yellow for caribou and n Condition White for bears. Seems to me that it's important to see the bear before the bear sees you.
Old April 9, 2017, 10:29 PM   #42
double bogey

Yes, brother in law. Dumb *** then and now, as ex Brother in law.
Old April 11, 2017, 05:53 AM   #43
robertjunior

Buy Advanced Choke Tube

Hi! I read your story and found it very interesting. Last year, I had gone for hunting in forest. I took my gun with my choke tubes and forgot to take the bullets. Suddenly, a tiger came in front of me and I scared badly, then I try to shoot but you can understand how I was trying to shot without bullets, then I run from there and save my life in any way. May be the Tiger was not hungry at that time. I have shared this incident with my friends and they laugh on me. After this I can forgot wearing my clothes, but never forget my bullets before go for hunting.
Old May 1, 2017, 01:51 AM   #44
Danoobie

I hunt a lot, do it about once a month.
Old May 1, 2017, 06:44 PM   #45
Berserker

No, I am a little OCD about it. I have done it at shooting range many times. Maybe you will be paranoid now too. Only a squirel and not a big bear or deer.