The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 15, 2012, 03:25 PM   #1
chaz12

Antiquing a Uberti Hombre

I don't care for the flat finish on these revolvers, but I had the idea of anitiquing the finish because I do like the uberti old west finish that they offer. I have seen several articles online describing different methods of getting an antique look.

The problem would be the flat brass backstrap and trigger guard. Has anyone tried to alter the finish on one of these revolvers? Any ideas on what you could do with the brass?

Chaz
Old April 15, 2012, 04:03 PM   #2
noelf2

I'm not an expert, but I know that black powder fouling will give brass an aged patina.
Old April 15, 2012, 05:32 PM   #3
zullo74

I age my brass with a paste of 3F BP and Dawn liquid dish soap. Paint it on, let it sit a spell and then rinse it off with water.
Old April 16, 2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Ultravox

I polished the brass bits of my Hombre.

I started by wet sanding it with 600 grit paper and finished with a felt wheel and some polish.

It's not antiqued, but it looks better than the flat finish.

Old April 16, 2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Hawg

IMHO you don't want polished brass on an antiqued gun but you might want to polish it before you age it.
Old April 17, 2012, 07:57 AM   #6
Fairshake

Location: Livingston, La. about 20 miles East of Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Antique look

I purchased a pair of USFA Rodeo's from Longhunter about 3 years ago in 44WCF.
As soon as I received them I used 0000 steel wool and Krano oil all over the guns. You don't push down hard but just use a normal pressure with the 0000.
I have had people think that I was shooting a old pair of Colts with the look I received. Go slow and wipe the gun clean as you go so that you end up with the look you want and not all the way back to the white. Take Care David
Old April 17, 2012, 11:02 AM   #7
indy1919

Perhaps this is not quite antiquing but a few years ago found an Uberti that was new called distressed. And where as some of the distressed guns looked like the finish was half hurt, This one does look ... well.. distressed ..

Old April 21, 2012, 08:17 PM   #8
BerdanSS

I polished mine as well, used a felt tip on the dremmel and JB bore paste gives it a nice look; kinda reminds me of my old 51 navy now. I've heard the 0000 steel wool works well also for "antiquing". Been wanting to try to lightly "polish" the whole thing to give it a used satin "blue" look rather than the flat black.

Here she is in current form....best $250 I ever spent....Still a little PO'ed mine didn't have the edge of the cylinder beveled though

Quote:
zullo74

I age my brass with a paste of 3F BP and Dawn liquid dish soap. Paint it on, let it sit a spell and then rinse it off with water.
I'd like to see that

Last edited by BerdanSS; April 21, 2012 at 10:06 PM.