The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 6, 2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Luder

24/7 Pro DS .45 Jamming

Hello everyone,

I recently returned my .45 to Taurus for FTF reasons along with strange mark being made on the primer by the FP. My casing would eject no problem, but they had more of a dash, instead of a punch, which ran off to one side of the primer and even extending into the brass occasionally (sort of like a drag mark). The FTF issues were the round being fed sticking straight up out of the chamber with the slide jammed closed on the live round. I returned the gun after about six jams in 300 rounds. I fired mostly Winchester FMJ, but some other brands as well using the two different magazines that came with the gun.

The good news from Taurus: A one day turn around. This blew me away and really left me wondering what they found and what I would find when I received the gun back.

Now the bad news: When I received my gun back the work order said two things only. 1. Problem found – Case bulge and 2. Resolution – Replaced. So I’m trying to figure out replaced what? All the serial numbers still match. Still looks like my old gun. It definitely isn’t a new gun.

So I call the Taurus service dept. and give them my work order number and ask them what they did. All they can tell me is they fired some rounds thru it and replaced something. They can’t tell me what they replaced. The rep I spoke with talked to her manager who couldn’t tell me anything either.

Bottom line: They have no idea what they did or what they replaced.
Has anyone else been told this about their gun and can you tell me what they did to mine or perhaps what they replaced?
Thanks
Old October 6, 2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Miata Mike

Does it work right now that it has been "fixed"? That turn around is unreal!
Old October 6, 2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Luder

Honestly, I can't say. I just got it back yesterday evening and have not had time to fire it yet. I was hoping someone had had a similar experience and could possibly tell me what they did.
Old October 6, 2010, 08:46 PM   #4
45ACP39326

Taurus 45

I had a Taurus 24/7 Pro DS in 45 ACP that I finally sold. I got fed up with all the jams. I could not fire 6 shots without a jam. All of my problems were with feeding a new round, never wih ejection of the fired casing. I had sent it back to Taurus (reasonable Turn Around Time) and they returned it to me having replaced both mags. It worked well for a while but then the problems started all over again. I gave up and sold it. I really hated to sell it because it fit my hand so well and I shot it pretty well. I now own 3 Taurus 24/7 Pro in 9mm (2 of which I already had before selling the .45) and have never had a feeding jam out of any of them. As for the .45, I cannot praise it like i can the 9mm. I hope they have solved the problem for you.
Old October 6, 2010, 09:46 PM   #5
ritepath

My 45 mil pro 3ed gen makes a dash like mark on the primers also, must be a Taurus thing???
Old October 7, 2010, 12:44 AM   #6
Mosin44az

Other makes do that "slash" primer mark as well. Don't remember clearly, but maybe Kahr is one. I don't think the slash means a defect.
Old October 7, 2010, 01:41 AM   #7
Eagle0711

I'm just guessing, but they may have replaced the mag. and the recoil spring. Also possible that they changed the extractor or adjusted it.
If your still having problems you may try a few things for success.
1. You may have to put up to 500 rounds thru it to break it in.
2. Make sure that it's clean and lubed with lite oil.
3. Try a Wilson mag. It's the best and it may run on it.
4. Try a different brand of ammo.
5. Have a friend or the rangemaster shoot it, could be limpwristing it.
Good Luck, Lyle
Old October 7, 2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Luder

To: 45ACP

That is exactly why I purchased this gun. It fit my hand perfectly. I have the 9 as well in compact. Love the 9 and have had no issues with it.
Old October 7, 2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Luder

Eagle,

I think they may have replaced the mag as well because they one they returned looks way more used than mine. I'll try the 500 rounds just for fun anyway, but I have put at least that many thru it already. It's always cleaned and lubed. I ran different brands of ammo originally and it jammed with them all. Different mag, I might be willing to try that as I really like the gun, without the jams of course.

Different people have stated that I could possibly be limp wristing it, but I don't think so. Could be wrong though.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. At least I have some things to try. Now to find time to get back to the range
Old October 7, 2010, 03:06 PM   #10
Luder

One more thing. Any idea what they meant by "bulging case". You think they meant the mag?
Old October 12, 2010, 02:41 PM   #11
Luder

24/7 PRO DS

Okay, so I finally got some time to head out to the range today to try out my .45 after receiving it back from Taurus. I cleaned it up (came back dirty) and headed out. After 48 rounds down range I had my first FTF. Like before it jammed feeding the live round into the barrel. The round was pinched between the slide and the top of the barrel. I cleared that one and fired one more round then had my second FTF. This time it did not load the round at all and the slide stayed locked back with three rounds left in the mag. A few rounds later a third FTF with the slide rammed closed on the round and the brass pointing at the sky. Showed it to another gentleman at the range and figured it jammed because it was dirty. After this I put approx 50 more rounds thru without another FTF. So what do you think? Send it back to Taurus again, get rid of it or keep trying? Some have suggested that perhaps I'm limp wristing. Well I purposefully tried to limp wrist and the weapon fired fine. The jamming occurred when I definitely had a firm grip.

Any ideas or opinions??

Thanks!
Old October 14, 2010, 12:37 AM   #12
Mosin44az

Have you made sure this is happening with both magazines? Or just one?

What bullets have you tried? You say WWB. Have you tried other FMJ brands? I know you did before, but have you done this since its return?
Old October 19, 2010, 08:37 AM   #13
Luder

Hey Mosin,

I used Winchester Remington and Federal when I went back out. All the jams were with the Rem and I'm almost certain with the same Mag. I haven't had time yet to go back again and use just the one mag and see how it does. I did get a couple of photos of the jam so if I send it back to the factory I can include those.
Old October 19, 2010, 09:41 AM   #14
Shadi Khalil

I'd get rid of it. The re-sale value of a Taurus is never much, but it beats having a useless headache taking up room in your safe. In my experience, it takes Taurus a couple trips before they get it right and from the sound of your story, I'm wondering if they ever looked at it to begin with. Did they pick up the tab on shipping? In my experience, they pick up the first tab but then you left with the rest of the trips. And there will be more trips. You should cut your losses and get rid of it before it starts costing you more money.
Old October 19, 2010, 10:05 AM   #15
voyager4520

If they said "bulged case" it sounds to me like they came to the conclusion that you were using reloads made with brass that wasn't properly resized. If so, them saying "replaced" may have just been their way of saying "we think we found the problem, the ammo the customer is using, so we're sending it back now".

I'd be likely to suspect the guide rod spring or the magazine springs. The fact that your primer dents have a drag across them makes it sound like the slide is coming back too early, which could be caused by a weak guide rod spring.
Old October 19, 2010, 10:55 AM   #16
Luder

Voyager...
I suppose that's possible, but I specifically stated, to them, the brands I was firing, not reloads, and even included two of the casings when I sent it back to the factory.

Shadi,
I'm considering getting rid of it, but I'm also considering one more trip back to the factory. On one hand I don't have a lot of time to shoot so when I go it's not a joy when your weapon jams over and over let alone the fact that until you have the issue fixed you cannot really trust the weapon AND who knows when you have fixed? 100, 500, 1000 rounds with no jam? I didn't make 50 rounds before it started jammimg. That was after I got it back and yes, it's had plenty rounds thru it by now to cover a break in period.

On the other hand I like the gun. Fits my hand well and has nice features. I don't look forward to paying air freight to send it back again though. That's x2 and I could put that towards something else.

Anyone had any luck with one of the 24/7 OSS versions? I also considering a Glock 21.
Old October 19, 2010, 11:17 AM   #17
virg

Most "jams" are magazine related in an auto pistol.
Old October 19, 2010, 01:42 PM   #18
Eagle0711

Luder; it sounds like the extractor is to tight. The 1911 is a controled feed gun. As the slide strips a fresh cartrige, it slips into the extractor claw and slips up the breech block located on the slide where the firing pin is located. You can remove the extractor and bend it. You want just enough tension to hold a cartrige as you shake it slightly. Of course the slide is removed from the gun.
Look for a burr around the firing pin hole, as this could cause the cartrige to hang up as it feeds. Also make sure that the extractor claw is smooth. Best, Lyle