The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 28, 2010, 11:36 PM   #1
siggygirl

Safety glasses

Having just taken my first hot casing in the face, I'm starting to take protecting my eyes more seriously. Today I bought a hat.

Now I'm thinking about safety glasses. Outdoors, I'm okay because I've got wrap around glasses. Indoors, I can't fit normal safety glasses over my prescription glasses. Any suggestions?

Last edited by siggygirl; August 30, 2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old August 29, 2010, 12:04 AM   #2
BitterTait

Lab goggles. I have the largest prescription glasses that the glasses store had in stock and my lab goggles over them with no issue. They're generally cheap, but you'll probably have to order online.
Old August 29, 2010, 04:29 AM   #3
10-96

Your optom... eye doc dude can make Rx safety glasses- or he/she knows someone who can. My Dad worked for Phiilips Petroleum for 25 yrs and he always had a tight fitting pair of glasses with side shields. People generally take much better care of Rx glasses than standard old safety goggles or cheap glasses so you know they'll last you quite a while. And you already know they can add all the stuff like UV filters, scratch resistance stuff, photo grey, and all that jazz to Rx specs anyhow.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 29, 2010, 06:37 AM   #4
lmccrock

Rudy Project? The 3-lens set is spendy, but get a single lens version and it is not so bad. Rx insert is available.

Lee
Old August 29, 2010, 08:25 AM   #5
wogpotter

Go to a place like the Industrial Safety website & order a set of prescription safety glasses. Reasonable price, eye protection & you can see all in one package for around $100.
Old August 29, 2010, 08:30 AM   #6
pax

You can get prescription safety glasses (wraparound) from WalMart's optical dept. for some ridiculously cheap amount.

pax
Old August 29, 2010, 09:23 AM   #7
hoytinak

You can get lots of styles of Oakleys made with prescription lens's.
Old August 29, 2010, 10:07 AM   #8
siggygirl

I looked at Oakley's yesterday when I got my eye exam. With lenses they were around $500. And for indoor shooting, I need something not that dark. The other factor is that my vision changes yearly. So if I do something prescription, I have to buy lenses every year . I'm leaning toward the Home Depot type big fat ones I can put over my glasses. For what I spent at the place yesterday I could have bought a few more Sigs. The good news is that I'll shoot better now with an updated prescription. AND no lead in the eye this time
Old August 29, 2010, 10:37 AM   #9
pax

siggygirl,

In this climate, when winter rolls around, those "over the glasses" type eyewear will be fogged up all the freaking time. It's the most annoying thing...

pax
Old August 29, 2010, 12:45 PM   #10
siggygirl

Thanks Pax. I would never have thought of that. I'll check out Walmart
Old August 29, 2010, 02:56 PM   #11
LukeA

You could get some goggles and enlarge the vent holes, especially at the top, to prevent fogging.
Old August 29, 2010, 03:35 PM   #12
Pahoo

Consider a face shield. Not only does it protect my eyes but my pretty face or at least what is left of it. I only use my face shield during the smelting process and not while casting.

Be Safe !!!
Old August 29, 2010, 03:42 PM   #13
siggygirl

A face shield? Do you have a link for one? I wish I had more outdoor shooting options because I'm starting to look like I have some kind of pox or something.
Old August 29, 2010, 03:53 PM   #14
DiscoRacing

I picked up six pair of shooting glasses myself the other day... Ive never used them in the past and never have been bit by any flying objects... but would rather be safe than sorry.
Old August 29, 2010, 04:11 PM   #15
Pahoo

Sorry but I was unable to locate one to fit your spiffy cap. Try this link and will give you an idea of what is available. Medical supply stores also sell them.
http://www.fishersci.com/wps/portal/...FSVL5wod729aaw

Quote:
Happiness is a warm gun. The Beatles
Happiness is a warm gut-pile (unknown)

Be Safe !!!
Old August 29, 2010, 04:23 PM   #16
siggygirl

Wow Pahoo! That's really...scary. Both the mask and the pile of warm guts. LOL! It's something to consider.
Old August 30, 2010, 06:00 PM   #17
10-96

Siggy,
I don't know what type of optical insurance you have- but they make some really stylish safety glasses these days with snap-on side sheilds. Another trick if your eyewear Rx changes frequently- is to search for your frames on line (e-bay, discontinued models, etc). My shooting buddy does that and he hardly ever pays 50-60% of the full retail price for the frames. He orders the frames sent to his house and THEN takes them to the eye doc for fitting of the lenses. He works for Bell Textron- so I'm pretty sure he goes with the safety type also.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 30, 2010, 06:06 PM   #18
siggygirl

Well my Prada side and my practical side are at war with this issue. The Prada side says "go with the Rudy glasses with all the cool colors and the optical inserts, you can replace the lenses as your eyes deteriorate." The practical side says "you fool, how much money are you gonna spend on your gun habit? Get the cheap crap." We'll see who wins.
Old August 30, 2010, 06:16 PM   #19
rtpzwms

Here is another offering from Randolph Engineering.
Old August 30, 2010, 08:15 PM   #20
X_shooter

Hat, glasses, are essential to ward off those brass burns, but don't forget to protect...um...a....you know..."the girls" so to speak. Witnessed a hot brass land perfectly down a low cut tee into a very pushed up set (not very rangeworthy gear). I felt for the girl. The worst part is that as she flailed around trying to dig out said brass, she also had a loaded gun in her hand. I give her credit to keeping it pointed down range the whole time. Left quite a mark on her "skin".

Next round she had a hooded sweatshirt zipped to her chin.
Old August 31, 2010, 11:20 AM   #21
ishida336

People mentioned prescription oakleys already. And you pointed out their cost.

Try looking at Revision Eyewear. Or, to be more specific, Revision Military. Most of their protective eyewear are compatible with a prescription carrier system. We were issued Sawfly glasses during Basic, and about two days after they handed out the prescription inserts. They attach to a little tab on the nosepiece and are in a good spot. I didn't have glasses, so I didn't get any, but they looked like they were comfortable. Revision offers both normal and large frames, and a variety of lenses for them. The Rx carriers work with any lens.

http://www.revisioneyewear.com/store/sawfly.html
The Sawfly kits vary a bit. The Military kit, which we got (with two clear lenses instead of a smoke and clear) is $90, with $20 for the Rx carrier. IT has smoke and clear lenses, a case, and a microfiber pouch.
Old August 31, 2010, 01:38 PM   #22
siggygirl

Ishida, do they grind the lenses for you or do you need to take them to a local optometrist to do that? They Rangers are a little cheaper but they don't seem to have the wrap around side protection. And with my incredibly, wonderfully, forceful ejecting Sig P232, I can conceive of needing side protection. Pahoo, do you wear that face shield to shoot? Does it fog up? Do people look at you like you're a space alien?

Oh and 10-96, the type of vision insurance I have is the "none" type
Old August 31, 2010, 01:57 PM   #23
siggygirl

Woohoo! Prada side won! A local optical store is having a Rudy trunk show with super cheap prices and a bunch of free stuff on my day off this week. They said they could grind the inserts in 2-3 days. Men ignore this comment...who says safety has to be unfashionable? Safety first, and I know the Cha Cha with that one. But I also enjoy cool looking stuff or I wouldn't be a Siggygirl.
Old August 31, 2010, 05:18 PM   #24
dans3kgt

I got mine from walmart last year(Safety goggles) then I decided to have lasic surgery so I dont have to worry about it . I can wear any shooting glasses I want now. The only regret I have with the lasic is why didnt I do it years ago. I love not having to wear my glasses any more.

Dan
Old August 31, 2010, 08:19 PM   #25
ishida336

I think you have to have the lenses put in by your local optometrist. It isn't mentioned on their website, or anywhere else for that matter.

Glad you managed to find something you liked.