The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old May 8, 2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Zero One

Want to stop in Chicago - pistol dilemma.

So, in the next week or so, I'm moving from Texas to Michigan. It's not really a big move, as I've only been in Texas for a few months.

I'm packing up all of my stuff and heading to Michigan. My "stuff" includes one Beretta 92 in my trunk.

Now, I have a free couple of days, and I want to visit family and friends in Chicago while moving. It's on the way from Texas to Michigan, so this will be really convenient and really fun.

Problem is, the Beretta, which is illegal to even possess in Chicago. Frankly, I really really don't want to drive all the way home to Michigan to deposit it, then 500 miles back to Chicago, then 500 miles back to Michigan. That's an extra 1,000 miles. On the other hand, I don't wanna miss this opportunity.

So, what can I do, here? The Gun Owners Protection Act won't apply because I'm actually stopping in Chicago for three or four days. My only thoughts were shipping it to myself in Michigan, but I think that's illegal. I was also wondering if local police (or perhaps some sympathetic police nearby in the state) might have some place where visitors could drop off a pistol outside of the city and then pick it up when they leave.

Anyone ever run into this problem? Please advise. I'm making this trip soon, so I'd love to get some help ASAP.

Thank you.
Old May 8, 2010, 02:34 PM   #2
wally626

Shipping it to yourself is perfectly legal, just use FedEx or UPS not the post office. You can ship it in care of someone else but they cannot open the package.
Old May 8, 2010, 05:02 PM   #3
maestro pistolero

Quote:
Shipping it to yourself is perfectly legal, just use FedEx or UPS not the post office. You can ship it in care of someone else but they cannot open the package.
Not illegal but it's against Fedex or UPS policy to ship a handgun to anyone but an FFL. And it's illegal not to tell them it's a hangdgun. Catch 22. If my info is incorrect, or if you find another way, I'd love to hear about it, I've been pondering this for years.
Old May 8, 2010, 05:08 PM   #4
dsa1115

I would't worry about it. Just leave the gun unloaded and cased in your trunk.
Old May 8, 2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

Sigh - we can't advocate an illegal action and hope it is not discovered.

The OP should investigate legal shipping options.

Closed.