Handgun 26 15.95%
Combination of the above 69 42.33%
Use a phone and hope the police show up in time 1 0.61%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 13, 2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Tucker 1371

Rifle/Carbine vs Shotgun vs Handgun for HD POLL

Just want to know which of these yall think is best or prefer for a home defense weapon and weigh the pros and cons of each.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old April 13, 2009, 03:26 PM   #2
grymster2007

This will open up a can of worms!

I use 'em all.

Rifle/carbine:
Pros: power & precision
Cons: longer barrel can be an impediment in tight quarters & usually require two handed operation

Shotgun:
Pros: power and power
Cons: not quite so accurate, plus longer barrel and two handed operation

Handgun:
Pros: One handed operation, short barrel, easy to conceal
Cons: generally wimpier loads
Old April 13, 2009, 03:31 PM   #3
kraigwy

Pistol:

I know I'm gonna bring a lot of flack with this post, but its just my opinion.

We were issued Remington 870s when I was in LE. I really like the 870, I use to have a 4 guns set (12, 20, 28, & 410) for skeet shooting.

But I seldum used them in police work. I rather have a pistol/revolver. The reasoning, being, the limited range of the shot gun. If I'm in shotgun range, my pistol works just fine. If I'm out of range, then my pistol is better.

As most cops we had a lot of building searches, I felt the shotgun was too unwildly. The pistol was more convienent and faster to get in action. In low light you need a flash light. Its easier to use a flashlight with a revolver then shotgun. Easier to sneak around corners. I used a little mechanic's mirror for peeking around corners, the shotgun was always in the way.

If you caught a bandit, and you were alone, (which we were often), what are you gonna do with the shot gun while you search and cuff the bandit.

I just felt more comfortable with the revolver. I felt more comfortable having to use the revolver in the short ranges limited by shotguns. And like I said, if the target is out of range of the shotgun, the pistol is better.

Same goes for SD now. I always have my pocket pistol, my shotguns are in the gun rack.

I dont mean to start a fuss though I know I'm gonna get flack, but this is my opinion. If for some wierd reason I was to go back into LE (highly unlikely), I'd stick to my Service Revolver and leave the shotguns for bird hunting or clay pigions.

JMHO
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 13, 2009, 03:31 PM   #4
David Armstrong

There is no best, only different. Which difference would provide the greatest advantage and least disadvantage is very dependent on the individual and the situation.

Last edited by David Armstrong; April 13, 2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old April 13, 2009, 03:31 PM   #5
KLRANGL

Handgun because it's what im most comfortable with.

Have a rifle and shotgun just in case
Old April 13, 2009, 03:41 PM   #6
David Armstrong

Quote:
The reasoning, being, the limited range of the shot gun.
FWIW, a shotgun with the right ammo can easily bring accurate fire onto a subject at 100 yards with a little training, something few can do with a handgun.
Quote:
The pistol was more convienent and faster to get in action.
I believe that is also more a matter of training than anything else. For most folks a shotgun can be brought into action just as fast or fastger than a handgun.
Quote:
what are you gonna do with the shot gun while you search and cuff the bandit.
If you have equipped it properly, you are going to sling it and get it out of your way.
Quote:
I dont mean to start a fuss though I know I'm gonna get flack, but this is my opinion.
Not trying to bust your chops either, as everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I hate to see so many of the old myths about the shotgun that are still tossed around today. The biggest problem with the shotgun, IMO, is that few people have been properly trained on it, and that includes LEOs.
Old April 13, 2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

Own them all, train sufficiently on all of them to have some competence. Wait for the zombies.

And shoot three gun matches - that's lots of fun with all.

The problem with discussing shotguns is that we get all the cliches thrown up - racking, guaranteed kill, can't miss, etc.
Old April 13, 2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Deet

Shotgun or pistol either will do just fine for me.
Old April 13, 2009, 04:17 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My training makes my short barrel shotgun most accurate at close range in minimal light in my hands. My other close reach is a pistol but at .22lr, it isn't a first choice 2 legger stopper but it works for the errant armadillo, rabbit or just to shut the yappin dogs up.
I would have to load the .30-30 lever gun before it could be called to action.

As for search and cuff of BG's... I will not only refrain from searching them or cuffing them but also will not get close enuff to render first aid. If they hit the deck in true felon fashion before they get shot they can lay out stretched with face firmly planted in the floor awaiting LEO's...
Brent
Old April 13, 2009, 05:32 PM   #10
Bartholomew Roberts

I don't think there is a "best" weapon for home defense. Different needs will result in different tools. Just to give one example: If you need to go grab your baby/toddler from another room and bring them to your "safe" room, then a longgun isn't going to be ideal.

As a general rule though, a longgun is going to be more accurate and more powerful than a handgun. Something like an AK, 16" AR, or short lever gun isn't going to extend any more than a pistol in isoceles/weaver stance would. An 18" shotgun is only going to extend about 2" further. On top of that, you can add a light to just about any of those for less than $50 these days. Finally, a long gun provides better leverage in retaining the firearm in a close quarters situation.

The pistol is only there because it is convenient. If I can use a longgun, I am going to use one. I personally would use a carbine (AR15) because I have more experience with that; but I wouldn't feel uncomfortable with a shotgun either.
Old April 13, 2009, 06:18 PM   #11
kraigwy

Quote:
Quote:
what are you gonna do with the shot gun while you search and cuff the bandit.

If you have equipped it properly, you are going to sling it and get it out of your way.
Oh yeah, thats right on the top of my list of fun things to do, wrestling around in some alley with some joker while having a shotgun slung to me.

No Thanks.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 13, 2009, 06:23 PM   #12
OttoJara

I had to choose COMBO because my HD is a Taurus Judge with #6 and 00 buck loaded. So, Hand gun and shotgun mixed for me.

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old April 13, 2009, 08:09 PM   #13
David Armstrong

Quote:
Oh yeah, thats right on the top of my list of fun things to do, wrestling around in some alley with some joker while having a shotgun slung to me.
The orignal comment was "what are you gonna do with the shot gun while you search and cuff the bandit", and had nothing to do with wrestling. If you are needing to wrestle, don't sling the shotgun, use it to help you subdue the BG. Goes back to that training process again.
Old April 13, 2009, 08:15 PM   #14
Carne Frio

I use a combo. It's related to timing. If you have any amount of warning, it
is the 12g. Little or no warning, large caliber revolver.
Old April 13, 2009, 08:32 PM   #15
Maromero

Shotgun & sidearm.
Old April 13, 2009, 08:56 PM   #16
butterboy

just throw a hand grenade
Old April 13, 2009, 08:57 PM   #17
butterboy

sorry ,shot gun is my favorite...
Old April 13, 2009, 09:06 PM   #18
srm970

shotgun my side the bed. .45 on hers and a 357 on mine as well. no rifle. ohh and the dumb but loud dog at the front door.

shawn
Old April 14, 2009, 12:56 AM   #19
baypistolman

I have to agree with Kraigwy. It is not easy searching your house with a flash light on your shotgun because you are pointing at everything in your path.

A hand gun with a separate flash light is definitely much more effective especially if you need cover or need a tactical advantage when your doing a search in your own house. But I guess if you need to have a shotgun over your shoulder with a sling while your searching with a pistol would make any burglar quiver
Old April 14, 2009, 04:17 AM   #20
Popa-45

yes

I use a combination of the three. a 1911 under the pillow for rapid response, Rem 870 for down the hall, M1 carbine for the yard. It all boils down to situation. And the 4 legged alarm system.
Old April 14, 2009, 07:47 AM   #21
GetYerShells

Mossberg Persuader on my side, sidearm on the dresser, and an AK under the bed.
Old April 14, 2009, 08:00 AM   #22
ATW525

Combo

My "always" gun, a S&W 638 is in my pocket even when I'm at home, and my "away from home" gun, a S&W 4506, is next to the bed when I'm at home. Also next to the bed is a .357 Magnum lever action carbine with a 16" barrel (much handier than any non-NFA shotgun).
Old April 14, 2009, 08:22 AM   #23
The Great Mahoo

I just use my handguns for HD weapons. I have some shotguns and carbines I could use, but prefer to keep them locked up and out of my way. If I had time to get something in particular (zombie invasion!) I would probably opt for a long-arm, but am more than confident with my handguns.
Old April 14, 2009, 08:29 AM   #24
Flapjack23

Combo

My preferred setup would be short barrel carbine (.223) and hi-cap handgun. Works for my particular situation. Don't have the carbine so the Glock and a Surefire will have to do.
Old April 14, 2009, 08:38 AM   #25
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
I have to agree with Kraigwy. It is not easy searching your house with a flash light on your shotgun because you are pointing at everything in your path.
I've done enough Force-on-Force now that I know I am not going to try and clear any structure by myself unless there is no other option. I am going to fort up and wait for police in a home defense situation. If there is no other option, then the last thing I want to do is grab the least effective firearm I have to do a search.

The light I use on my rifle is a Surefire G2 with a Cree LED head. It has a bright spot and a secondary spot. The secondary spot will illuminate about a 15' circle on the wall from 10' away and is sufficient to search/illuminate without pointing the rifle directly at things - in fact, I can search without ever raising the muzzle higher than 45 degrees down with the large secondary area of illumination.

Since the light has a push button switch and is mounted conveniently on the forearm, I can also flip it on/off easily while using the same stance I normally use.

Now if you are talking about just investigating an odd noise at night, then yes, I'll probably bring the pistol and a flashlight for that because the chances it is actually an intruder are pretty low and convenience wins out over preparedness.
Closed Thread