Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: How many of you open carry at
Home? 64 36.57%
At home when you have friends over? 60 34.29%
You don't carry a gun at all 51 29.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 2, 2009, 06:51 PM   #1
George PT-111

How many of you open carry at home? & how many open carry with people visiting?

Prety much what the title says?oops And how many of you open carry when you have people over?
Old January 2, 2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Phonetic Diabetic

I don't carry at home. I just know where my guns are at all times.
Old January 2, 2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Keltyke

I don't feel a threat to carry at home. However, I have several close at hand.
Old January 2, 2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Moe Howard

Lots of home invasions in the area. None in my housing edition, "yet", but close enough that I carry at home, or one is next to me, at all times. I do often open carry when in the house but I do usually cover up when company is over, except for one friend of mine who thinks carrying a gun should be mandatory.
Old January 2, 2009, 09:14 PM   #5
treg

Inside - I know where they are and they're close. Outdoor carry depends on what I'm doing, determined by dirt and damage potential. Could be open (most favorable), concealed (good), or nearby (o.k.). What I'm doing when you get there is what I do while you're there.
Old January 2, 2009, 09:47 PM   #6
Dave Chuppa

I never open carry I carry concealed. I carry from the time I get out of bed till I go back to bed. I would never open carry because I don't feel the need to show I am carrying. I don't want to take a chance of a gun grab and a gun out in the open is subject to be knocked around. I don't understand the open carry thing. Why would you want people to know you have a gun on you. If you were shopping in a store and a couple of bad guys were going to rob it, who do you think they would take out first? The guy they saw with a gun. If it's concealed I have the element of surprise and the chance to save myself or just be a witness if I don't feel the need to step in. When I am out and about or when I am at home know one suspects I am carrying Two or Three guns at all times. I just blend in with all the sheep and they don't know I am there. Just because I carry doesn't mean I want to use it. If I had to I would but, it will be to save my life or a family member.
Old January 2, 2009, 10:11 PM   #7
AK103K

I agree with Dave for the most part.

While I do always have a gun on at home, I dont always have it covered, but I dont go outside unless its covered, nor do I normally answer the door unless its covered. Except for my wife and kids, and one or two very close friends, its always covered.

While you may have guns all over the house, and know just where they are, they will never be with you when you need them the most, unless your wearing them.
Old January 2, 2009, 10:22 PM   #8
Chui

Usually I'm in a T-shirt with a covered with an open button-down short-sleeve shirt but when it's just the immediate family it's usually open. There is no need to conceal from my mother, father, brother & sisters nor my one nephew who practically lives with my mom and dad.

When I'm at MY home it's open until someone rings the doorbell.

At my friends' home (all carry) I carry as they carry. If they are open then I am open. If they are concealed then so am I (which I naturally and legally will be since I'm not in my home or on my property).

A defensive handgun is OF NO VALUE if it's not at your fingertips as it's an emergency tool of the most extreme circumstances.
Old January 2, 2009, 11:35 PM   #9
LightningJoe

I carry all the time. It's easy. Why not?
Old January 2, 2009, 11:51 PM   #10
B.N.Real

What LightningJoe said.
Old January 3, 2009, 12:40 AM   #11
Socrates

Having a bunch of guns in the house, I can't imagine getting shot by a home invader, and, having to justify it to St. Peter:

Conversation something like this:
"What are you doing here?"
"I was shot by a home invader."
"I guess you never listen. We give you the Second Amendment. We give you Heller. We are trying to tell you what's coming, and, you just don't listen. Free will will get you killed."
"I lived in a 'safe' area, and followed the Kali law by having all my guns in my gun safe, unloaded."
"That's it. Anyone stupid enough to follow the Kali gun laws doesn't get in here. You go to Hell, or purgatory. I'll decide a bit later."
Old January 3, 2009, 12:50 AM   #12
supergas452M

Having a 7 year old son in the house requires me to be more selective in my home carrying than I would be otherwise. It is also why I dont leave a gun on my nightstand at night. I figure I'm willing to give up the extra 30 seconds (reluctantly) that it requires. He is already being trained about handguns and guns in general but I havent been able to take him to a range or outside shooting yet. He knows not to touch unless I'm there and he knows that if he sees a gun to tell an adult. I need to have a better comfort feeling with his knowledge than I presently do. Safety first. In the meantime I have and am doing all else that I can do to make the household as secure as I can.
Old January 3, 2009, 02:05 AM   #13
shortwave

When I dress in the morning I know I`m going to be carrying. I c/c and thats my dress for the day. Doesn`t matter if I`m home or out I don`t like to advertise.
Old January 3, 2009, 03:32 AM   #14
Wildalaska

Quote:
And how many of you open carry when you have people over?
Depends who the people are

Anyway, here are some of the classics:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...glock+bathroom

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...uns+of+polymer

WildiusuallywearmyseecampundermthellokittyshowercapAlaska TM
Old January 3, 2009, 04:59 AM   #15
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
WildiusuallywearmyseecampundermthellokittyshowercapAlaska TM
Now you are giving away one of Alaska's state secrets! Now everyone will know the score when greeted by someone opening a door wearing their hello kitty shower cap!

I usually carry OWB. Due to our pleasant, a few would say mild (very few), temperatures here much of the year (-20s F at the moment, and has been about that for a while) carrying OWB is pretty much almost year round CC.

At home I usually am wearing a sweatshirt or sweater or fleece over a t-shirt most of the year, so OWB CCed. (And now I am going to have to find a different place for my BUG/pocket pistol... and the shower cap did look just so stylish!)

Now, go figure...
Old January 3, 2009, 05:13 AM   #16
jughead2

carry at home

if its hot open carry, if cold concealed. doesnt matter who is here. chances of me being un-armed are slim and slim is out of town.
Old January 3, 2009, 07:25 AM   #17
hoytinak

When I get dressed in the morning the CCW goes on and stays on all day. If I'm wearing a t-shirt to cover then it's stays concealed but if I have on a tucked-in undershirt and an outer garment for concealment, I will take the outer garment off when I'm inside my house. Anyone that comes to my house will know I'm carrying anyways....even the sheriff that stopped by last night asking if I'd seen one of the neighbors commented about my new grips on the 1911 commander I had on my side while talking to him.
Old January 3, 2009, 07:31 AM   #18
SilentHitz

I always carry at home...don't have time to roll a wheelchair to where the gun is. Much easier to just have it on me...where ever I am.
Old January 3, 2009, 08:04 AM   #19
Atltech

I carry in the car and on the motorcycle.At home we have several concealed..never more than an arms reach away.
...Ain't no good if can't get to it!
Old January 3, 2009, 02:29 PM   #20
Jbar4Ranch

Open carry, no, but I always, always have at least a .380 tucked into a pocket.

SASS 47015
Old January 3, 2009, 02:55 PM   #21
ckd

I routinely carry, and at home, it is often a full sized semi-auto outside the waistband, which may or may not be covered depending on the time of year. I always have a pocket gun, but prefer to carry and shoot full sized.

When friends or family visit I conceal as I do in public, simply because not everyone I know is comfortable with it, especially with children around. Yes it is my house, but I can make this minor modification for the few liberals I know.

I open carry at home whenever service/contractors visit, since that and the dog send a polite message.

Some place weapons in each room, instead of carrying, each to his own.

Though we live in a safe neighborhood, I know that violent drug related crimes are much more prevelant and not published in our area.
Old January 3, 2009, 03:20 PM   #22
Tommy Vercetti

I never carry openly...ever
Old January 3, 2009, 03:35 PM   #23
BurkGlocker

When I am at home it is openly carried, except when there is mixed company in my home, then it is covered. During our New Years party, I had people here that I didnt know that other friends brought over, so of course it was concealed at all times. But all of our friends and family know that there is a weapon of some sort on me at all times when i am at home.
Old January 3, 2009, 04:14 PM   #24
Dave Chuppa

Privatet message from Chris

Chris , I got your message but lost it some how. I see what you mean about deterrent sounds like it worked. I never like to attract attention to my self I like to stay hidden in plain sight. If that is possible for an old fat guy.
Old January 3, 2009, 04:26 PM   #25
ElectricHellfire

I have but I don't. I do, however, have several handy if need be.