The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 10, 2008, 10:05 PM   #26
SuddenPull

I bought my wife a hammerless 38 special revolver. It's pretty simple and she doesn't have to worry about fumbling with a safety in a panic. I believe they are relatively safe. Just point and shoot.

Last edited by SuddenPull; November 10, 2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:09 PM   #27
Jager78

What ever you shoot the best
What ever you can handle best
What ever you can depend on the best

I have my Sig Pro 2022 .40 S&W with a Insight XTI Tactical Illuminator & Crimson Trace Laser Grip handy next to our bed. My fiancee can handle that better then my HK45. She is a lighter sleeper then myself also

If lived alone I would use my HK45 with M6X.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:11 PM   #28
Loader9

Since you said "personal protection and for home" and it sounds like you don't get to shoot a lot, an automatic is out. You don't need to be concerned with the safety being on, you don't have to worry about the clip falling out, feeding issues, ejection issues, and all of the other issues that comes with an automatic. You need a double action revolver. You pick it up and pull the trigger. No thinking required, no checking required, no action issues or ammo that maybe doesn't work the action, just pick it up and pull the trigger. When you are in a confrontation condition, thinking is the last thing you'll do. Far too many idiots have autos for self protection and will stand there pulling a trigger on an auto that are on safety and get killed. You need a double action revolver.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:49 PM   #29
hdawson228

Loader. Thanks for your "absolute opinion.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:52 PM   #30
scorpion_tyr

For a handgun I would suggest finding something in .380, 9mm, or .40. My wife carries a Bersa Thunder .380 ($260) in her purse. The recoil is very low and is VERY accurate. Never had any problems with it at all. For home defense my wife has a Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm. I would say find something that feels good in your hands. Since you say you have a problem with your wrist I would say find a compact metal frame 9mm or .380. Try to find something that you can easily manipulate, but is heavy enough to counteract a lot of the recoil. Take your time and handle as many display guns as you can. Hope you find the right one.
Old November 10, 2008, 11:01 PM   #31
Blackhorse

My personal choice is a Glock 21 with tac lite and laser, loaded with 230 grain hydrashoks

Old November 11, 2008, 03:52 AM   #32
God's_blessings2all

Thanks for all the enlightment

Thanks to all that has responded to my thread. Since we've only lived here for about an year and most of that time has been spent recovering from illness. I've not gotten to make friends with anyone, so I will have to visit alot of gunshops and take my time handling the displays. Maybe take in a gun show or two. I too seen that tactical 410 shotgun and it's definitely in the running for home defense. Yes, it's been awhile since I've shot a gun, so I'll just be patient in making the correct purchase. Thanks to all of you, I've feel more able to walk in and make known what I'm looking for. I've gotten so great ideas here and know a bit more than I did. Absolutely loved reading 'Cornered Cat'. Am still reading it, alot of great information there. Thanks again to everyone.
Old November 11, 2008, 10:11 AM   #33
tenusdad

The tricked out Glocks - Sigs, etc. are awesome defensive machines for one who has the interest to learn their equipment and is well practiced.

I agree with Loader9, unless you are well trained, a serious recreational shooter and/or shoot a lot; a good 38 special double action revolver is probably your best choice. Hey - it is also a good choice for anybody.
If you fall in love with ishooting like most of us; then by all means get the auto and practice - practice.

Over the years I have gone all around the gun world and tried just about everything - Glock, Sig, Springfield, Walther, Colt, and then some. I finally came back to a S&W Model 10 and Surefire flashlight for the night table. Simple, effecient, effective, relatively inexpensive, reliable. It should do until 911 shows up.
Old November 11, 2008, 10:07 PM   #34
longeyes

My recommendation would be a Ruger SP-101 or Smith & Wesson Model 60 revolver, shooting .38spl.

For a semi-auto I favor a Glock 19 or maybe, if it fits your hand, a Glock 17. Both are great 9mms with ample capacity and quick follow-up shots.

I'd stay away from shotguns; too much recoil. And the .410 is too feeble; if you're going to use a shotgun, use a real shotgun, at least 20-gauge.
"Ah...what trouble?" ~Jeremiah Johnson
Old November 12, 2008, 06:55 AM   #35
God's_blessings2all

Thank you all

Wow, I've enjoyed all the recommendations. Visited a few shops today and my husband found a firing range within a short driving distance. So will be going there this next weekend. I didn't get to actually handle the 9mm I was looking for, but did get to see several .45's and a couple of .380's. Also, they had a winchester 12 ga. that was reasonable. As I'm home most of the time till after this next spring, I'll probably get the 12ga. and then take my time deciding on which 9mm to get. I really liked the S&W M&P .45. As well as the XD-M. I'll check out the Bersa's also if they have them at the firing range. Thanks again to all of you for your help and guidance.
Old November 12, 2008, 04:23 PM   #36
DGlock

Hello ,and thanks for your blessing,,,,My friends and I have the Bersa's in the 380,,,great starter gun but not completely reliable,,,,my opinion would be a Glock G19(9mm) or a Sig in a P229 or P239,,,