The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 1, 2006, 08:43 PM   #26
ShelbyV8

My pot metal Remington 1100 will out shoot a lot of iron Remington 870's. The steel bolt locks up in the steel barrel.
Old February 1, 2006, 11:55 PM   #27
Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quote:
That's impossible. There's no way a "pot metal" shotgun can outshoot a 870.

You must be lying.
'Zat sarcasm? Heh. All I know is what works for me. Apparently, pot metal works for me in pump shotguns.
Old February 5, 2006, 04:18 PM   #28
Davis

I have both the 870 and two Mossy 500's (one is a Western Field). All three are chambered for 3 inch mag. Honestly, I have no preference. My Mossberg's have a better finish than the 870 express, which rusts pretty easily. However, I do like the steel of the 870 over the alloy Mossberg. If the 500 came with a steel reciever, I probably wouldn't own an 870 at all.

Davis
Old February 5, 2006, 05:57 PM   #29
SCCop

I love the Mossy

I've never owned a Maverick, but our issue trunk guns are 500's and I own an 835 for hunting and skeet. The dept also owns some 870's but they stay in the armory. We even have a 500 in a bull-pup config. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why? But it does look cool. I'll have to post some pics.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
Old February 5, 2006, 06:47 PM   #30
Love&Hate12

The Maverick is not the best shotgun but I bust clay pigeons with Slugs out of it at 100 - 150 yards and also do near bullseye shots at the same range. It has a nice tight pattern also.

Can't beat it for a cheap home defense 12 Gauge.
Old February 5, 2006, 07:18 PM   #31
DonR101395

I've been shooting my 500 for 26 years now it's never failed me. Wish I could say the same for my 1100.
Old February 7, 2006, 01:52 PM   #32
russcomp

are the barrels the same for the Mav. and the 500 ????
Old February 7, 2006, 05:29 PM   #33
delzo

Maverick is the name I was trying to remember in another thread. I found a Maverick in a pawn shop and got away with a like new pump for $125. Excuse the lack of proper part names,,,,, but I found out the Maverick has ONE arm on the pump mechanism instead of two like a true Mossberg does. This "arm" is what connects the hand-grip on the pump to the action (running along side the magazine tube) I noticed that under stress I was using too much force to cycle the action and twisting the forearm, allowing the action to bind up. With TWO "arms" or whatever they are, it will not bind. I chunked it and got a Winchester.

Please,, someone decipher my uneducated explanation!
Old February 7, 2006, 05:41 PM   #34
rwking

maverick

i have a maverick, it has two arms on the pump mech. and the only differences between the mossberg and maverick is: when you purchase a 500 you get two barrels and the safety on the 500 hundred is infront of stock and the maverick is infront of trigger. i have had not had any problems with mine, killed alot of animals with it. i payed 132.00 from academy for it and i figure if it breaks down after a year of hunting i will purchase something else after i got my money out of it.
Old February 10, 2006, 09:10 AM   #35
foghornl

I have "owned and operated" a Maverick 88 for 16 years.

Only issue I ever had was after I slipped once on some rocks, and it got "dunked in the drink". Took me a while to get the mag tube off to clean that out.
Old February 10, 2006, 11:17 PM   #36
lil_bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghornl
Took me a while to get the mag tube off to clean that out.
I have been trying to get that off of my Maverick and I can't how did you get it out?

Thanks.
Michael.
Old February 11, 2006, 01:00 AM   #37
Optical Serenity

How can you go wrong with a $150 pump scatter gun?
Old February 11, 2006, 09:12 AM   #38
cma g21

Quote:
Maverick is the name I was trying to remember in another thread. I found a Maverick in a pawn shop and got away with a like new pump for $125. Excuse the lack of proper part names,,,,, but I found out the Maverick has ONE arm on the pump mechanism instead of two like a true Mossberg does. This "arm" is what connects the hand-grip on the pump to the action (running along side the magazine tube) I noticed that under stress I was using too much force to cycle the action and twisting the forearm, allowing the action to bind up. With TWO "arms" or whatever they are, it will not bind. I chunked it and got a Winchester
IIRC early Mavericks came with a single action slide bar.
The first Mossberg 500's also came with a single action slide bar (my son has one).
Mossberg changed to twin action slide bars decades ago.
I don't know when they changed the Mavericks, but they also come with twin action slide bars now.
Having fired both, the twin action slide bars do make for a more reliable action, IMHO.