The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2005, 03:41 AM   #1
osirus101

J.C. Higgins??

I found an old bolt action 12 gauge in my dads closet...apparently the manufacturer is J.C. Higgins - model 5834 has anybody ever heard of this manufacturer..or how old this gun my be...or basically anything about the gun or manufacturer...thanks for all replys ahead of time.

Osirus101
Old September 15, 2005, 05:54 AM   #2
AMT8951

I had a question about this a few weeks back. As I understand it, J.C. Higgins was a name used by Sears Roebuck for guns from a variety makers. made between WWII and the 60's. For example, the JC Higgins M20 Shotgun was actually produced by High Standard, other JC Higgins guns were produced by FN.
Old September 15, 2005, 06:28 AM   #3
mtnbkr

IIRC, there's a recall on the 12s. Sears will give you $100 if you send them the bolt. Since it's your dad's, I'd keep it intact, but never shoot it.

I have the 20g version (my grandfather's). It makes a nice squirrel gun.

Chris
Old September 15, 2005, 11:12 AM   #4
HunterTRW

Osirus101:

J.C. Higgins was a house-brand for Sears, Roebuck & Company. According to one of my references, your Model 583.4 was manufactured by High Standard.

Hope this helps.

Good luck, and good shooting!
Old September 15, 2005, 02:25 PM   #5
osirus101

Mtnbkr, do you have a number i could call or some sort of way of contact...ive tried local sears shops and they didnt know what i was talking about.

Osirus101

Last edited by osirus101; September 15, 2005 at 10:17 PM.
Old September 16, 2005, 03:48 AM   #6
mtnboomer

Sears house brand names:

Sears - used from late-1800's until gun sales ceased, mostly on .22's and cheaper shotguns

J. C. Higgins - used until early 1960's (named after a long-time Sears empoyee)

Ted Williams - replaced J.C. Higgins name in early 1960's (named for pro baseball player and outdoorsman)

Ranger - appeared in 1970's until gun sales ceased, replaced in large part the Sears name brand on less expensive guns

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old September 16, 2005, 04:42 PM   #7
osirus101

Thanks for all the information..i actually did find some information...from what ive read the model 583.13 - 583.22 were recalled due to the bolt coming back and hitting the shooter in the face! i called them and awaiting a response for any recalls on my particular model...and from the readings its $160 for giving Sears Roebuck & Co. the bolt. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for all your replies.

Osirus101
Old August 15, 2009, 09:43 PM   #8
Tabbin55

"Thanks for all the information..i actually did find some information...from what ive read the model 583.13 - 583.22 were recalled due to the bolt coming back and hitting the shooter in the face! i called them and awaiting a response for any recalls on my particular model...and from the readings its $160 for giving Sears Roebuck & Co. the bolt. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for all your replies.

Osirus101"

I found this post and was wondering if anyone had any luck tracking down a contact phone number or address for the recall?
Old August 15, 2009, 10:38 PM   #9
juanveldez

I used to actually have one it was my great uncles from WWII

the magazine was long since lost but we used it around the farm for shooting pigions and I put a slip over recoil pad as shooting it was going straight on walnut against your shoulder.
Old August 16, 2009, 12:32 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I guess that is an "irreparable" recall leaving the gun incomplete. I would have taught my self to fire it with a thumb holding the bolt lever down in groove as I suspect it flew back if allowed to rise as you hike!
No less I would save it intact as a wall flower.
Brent
Old August 16, 2009, 10:27 AM   #11
levrluvr

I have a couple of JC Higgins bolt-action shotguns, both High Standard made. One is 20 gauge and not affected by the recall, the other is 12 gauge that was purchased new by my father a couple of years before he died in 1963.
They are actually quite good guns, and I have fired countless rounds through both, including a lot of farm use. I would not sell or surrender a bolt for either one of them.
The problem with the bolt on the specific models was with the threads on the screw that retains the bolt in the receiver. The recall was a CYA by Sears to cover up the mistake made by a person operating a deficient piece of equipment. The bolt itself is not suspect. I could go into this further, but all you need to ever know about this recall and the gun itself is explained perfectly right here....

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a...action_shotgun

I have always found some good deals on excellent guns that were made for department stores by reputable gun manufacturers- this site gives you nearly all of the cross-references you need to figure out those models and who made them. If you have questions about your particular bolt-action JC, take it a competent gunsmith and have him check it out, with particular attention paid to that bolt retention screw and its thread integrity and tightness. It it checks out OK, get some ammo and have some fun. They're great guns.
Jim

http://proofhouse.com/cm/house_brand.htm