The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 20, 2000, 01:27 PM   #26
Glamdring

I would love to move to alaska, but the cost of living!!!

What does land go for up there?
Old May 20, 2000, 05:36 PM   #27
Jay Baker

Glamdring, given your post, you might look into the small towns around Moscow, Idaho. The Univ. of Idaho is there. And, there is still land around there that might suit your purpose. I know a professional writer who moved from So. Kalif., to Deary, Id.,about 20 miles from Moscow, who loves it. There is very good hunting and fishing in that area, as there is in most of Idaho. Weather isn't very harsh there, but a little snow probably wouldn't bother you too much, anyway.

There;s a college in Couer d'lene, but land around there is getting pretty expensive.

Best of luck. J.B.
Old May 20, 2000, 08:15 PM   #28
Glamdring

What's a little snow?

Honestly what is the weather like there? I know MN weather. Snow, summer, snow, snow.

We had frost here in Southern MN friday morning.
Old May 21, 2000, 11:35 AM   #29
Keith Rogan

If you live on the "road system" in Alaska its really no more expensive than living in the lower 48 any more.
Where I live in Kodiak, things are pretty expensive but then so are wages, etc. It all evens out somehow.
And the weather is NOT that bad. Anchorage/Kenai is probably something like southern Minnesota. Winter temps can be anywhere from -20 to +40.
Kodiak is real mild and usually at sea level its not even cold enough to snow. I've been here eleven years and the coldest I've ever seen it was -8 during a cold snap a couple years back.
You don't get the real arctic weather until you cross the mountains into the interior and get away from the ocean. Its not unusual for there to be an 80 degree temperature difference between my home in Kodiak and Fairbanks during the winter.

Its a beautiful place, really.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Old May 23, 2000, 05:35 PM   #30
Jay Baker

Glamdring, the snows in that area of west central Idaho generally don't exceed more than two to three feet per season, give or take. It'll snow some, melt off, snow some more, melt, etc. That area is known as "the banana belt" of Idaho.

Here's a site for the Idaho Game and Fish dept., and you can get a lot of hunting info from the site. www.state.id.us/fishgame

Best of luck. J.B.

[This message has been edited by Jay Baker (edited May 23, 2000).]
Old May 23, 2000, 09:32 PM   #31
Ron Ankeny

I live in Wyoming. For Sheep, Goats and moose we have gone to a preference point system. For each year you apply and don't draw a tag, you receive one "preference point" for the next year. I currently have the maximum number of points. What this means is if you are new to the system you will need to wait until those folks with more points either quit applying or draw. For kids in the state, they will probably have only one permit during their lifetimes. For newcomers, hell will freeze over before you draw a tag.

If you really want to kill sheep, go to Alaska or the NWT as a non-resident.
Old May 24, 2000, 06:03 AM   #32
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

>Its a beautiful place, really.

Thats putting it mildly Keith!

> not unusual for there to be an 80 degree temperature difference

One winter on a Junk for Punks trip we went to a village in the interior... raw temp was -52 degrees (though it did warm up to -40 the next day). That weekend we had to go down to Texas for a Bn Conference. Stepped off the plane into 90+ degree weather. I felt like the... "I'm melting... I'm Mellllllttttinnnng"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited May 24, 2000).]