The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 22, 2017, 10:34 AM   #1
Roland Thunder

Air travel and firearms

I am leaving later in the week to fly out of state. I know you can't have a gun in a carry on bag or on your person, but isn't there a provision for storing it in your stow away luggage so long as the ammo is not stored with it. I will be able to carry the gun concealed where I will be going, Indiana, since Indiana reciprocates with GA where I live and have a concealed carry permit.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:40 AM   #2
g.willikers

Yup, just check with the airline web site.
They should have all the info on packing your shootin' iron and ammo in your luggage.

Last edited by g.willikers; May 22, 2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:08 AM   #3
Recoil spring

The last time I did it.

The last time I transported a gun with an airline was in the 1980's, had my Raven P-25 in .25 ACP that I wanted to bring out of state. In those days checking your bag was cheap, not now where they charge a fee, so have not traveled with a gun on an airliner since as I don't want to spend money like that.

It was really strange, I had to pull the gun out of the box to show the ticket agent in a busy airline terminal that it was unloaded, racked the slide back (Ravens don't have a slide lock back feature) and not point it at anyone, the agent was kinda freaking, then put it back into the box, and my suitcase to have her put it onto the conveyor belt to be loaded into the jet.

I think that was the first/last time I showed a gun like that in public. I suppose the rules have changed, definitely check it out.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:06 PM   #4
g.willikers

^^^^
That rates up there with the guy who approached the check in and said, "I have a gun."
Old May 22, 2017, 12:29 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...check with the airline web site..." Yeah. Every airline, everywhere, has a different policy in addition to Federal/State laws.
Old May 22, 2017, 01:05 PM   #6
rickyrick

I've seen lots of people having to demonstrate to the ticket person that it was unloaded by racking the slide.
Old May 22, 2017, 01:15 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Unless you really think IN is more dangerous than GA, a better option might be to just leave the gun at home.

Jim
Old May 22, 2017, 04:17 PM   #8
jmhyer

Just go to the TSA and your airline's websites. Follow instructions closely. In some cases, there will be slightly differing policies. Defer to your airline's policy unless there is a direct conflict with TSA policy. I usually print them out and keep them on my person just in case there is a question once I get there. When I've travelled with my handgun, it's been fairly easy, despite the slightly anxious feelings that I may have had going into it.

One pitfall to be aware of...
Unless your flight is direct from GA to IN, you will want to familiarize yourself with the laws of whatever state and/or municipality you might get stuck in. You wouldn't want to have to claim your handgun for an unexpected overnight layover in NY, for example.
Old May 22, 2017, 04:38 PM   #9
RickB

The knowledge of airline employees, of their own rules, is often hit or miss.
I have not had any trouble, but was flying to out-of-state shooting competitions, and every time, experiences with TSA and airlines provided interesting conversation over the weekend.
"Would you remove the firing pin?"
Would you know a firing pin if you saw it?
Over the PA: "I have a man with a gun."
TSA agent to me: "Did you know there was a dead rodent in your luggage?" He assured me he was kidding, and I wondered how funny it would have been if I'd replied, "Was the fuse still in it?"

The weight limit for ammo varies greatly among airlines.

A lot of plastic gun cases have a single hole for a lock, and the case can often be twisted enough to get the gun out; TSA will twist it to check.

I'd be VERY reluctant to pull the gun out at the ticket/baggage desk.
The tag that they give you goes in your luggage, but not in the gun case, so no reason to open the gun case before getting to TSA, where they will inspect the gun, but not in sight of everyone in the airport.
Old May 22, 2017, 08:57 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

And, regardless of what the TSA "agents" at the airport may try to tell you, the federal law says that only the owner shall retain the key or combination to the locked gun case. Do NOT use a "TSA" lock (for which every TSA agent and most baggage handlers have the pass key), and if the TSA agent asks you to turn over your key or give him/her the combination -- no, that's illegal.

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title49/49....8.2.10.6.html
Old May 23, 2017, 03:36 PM   #11
bassJAM1

Like others have said, check the airline's website as well as the TSA. I traveled with a couple handguns with Frontier back in January. My ammo was in the box it came in, and both guns were in a single locked safe. The Frontier agent just asked me to open the luggage and show them the safe (I didn't have to open that), and then they placed some TSA card on top of it. Same thing happened to me when I flew home. Easy.

I did have Frontier's firearm policy printed off, just in case.
Old May 23, 2017, 03:40 PM   #12
FITASC

Quote:
And, regardless of what the TSA "agents" at the airport may try to tell you, the federal law says that only the owner shall retain the key or combination to the locked gun case. Do NOT use a "TSA" lock (for which every TSA agent and most baggage handlers have the pass key), and if the TSA agent asks you to turn over your key or give him/her the combination -- no, that's illegal.

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title49/49....8.2.10.6.html
+1

AND bring a copy of your airlines' regs for transporting guns in case you get a "know-nothing"

Locked case inside your checked luggage
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa