The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2016, 10:58 AM   #1
jag2

Dillon Square Deal B

I love my Forster press but I'm shooting 200 to 300 round a week (9 mm) and its getting a little old doing it on a single stage. If I do anything I'm sure it will be the Dillon so I'm not interested in other recommendations. My question is about sitting or standing. I prefer to be sitting but I noticed in a lot of videos people are standing. Looking for comments on what works best. Have you tried both ways and found one better than the other?
Old September 23, 2016, 11:10 AM   #2
totaldla

I use an SDB. I prefer to sit in a chair high enough above the work area that I can peek down into station 2 & 3 and check powder. I have a regular and a low work bench - I prefer the low bench.

I have to take a break every hour or so - I just can't sit and crank out 1000 rounds in one sitting. So I fill 4 primer tubes, and take a break when they are gone.

I admit that I've never tried standing - probably would work ok if your bench was high enough.

The key to comfort IMHO, is to have bullets, casings, and finished round collection organized so that you don't have to reach and fiddle. Also important to have adequate lighting.
Old September 23, 2016, 11:21 AM   #3
Jim Watson

I have suited the position to the machine.
I sit at my RCBS single stage, D550, and did at the SDB.
I stand at the S1050 and MEC, and did at the AutoCHamp.

So, like total, I would sit at the SDB at a height that would let me see the powder as I placed the bullet.
If you later decide you want to stand, you can put it on a riser like the Strong Mount or the Inline Fabrication mount.
Old September 23, 2016, 02:53 PM   #4
ValmetM62s

Square D

Square Deal is great - been using one since the early 80's - sit on a bench seat slightly higher than the press - One thing to remember about the press - it's only good for pistol cartridges - you'll still be using another press if you decide to do rifle.
Old September 23, 2016, 05:38 PM   #5
nhyrum

Now I have no experience on a Dillon, or a progressive, but my bench top is 47 inches tall. For me that his me about the lower ribs.

If I were you, id set it standing height. That way, you could stand, OR get an adjustable height bar stool and sit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old September 23, 2016, 09:05 PM   #6
jmorris

These days, if I can, I sit.
Old September 23, 2016, 09:25 PM   #7
ammo.crafter

sbd

Have been using mine for well over 30 years withput a hitch. What a great product.

I sit in an adjustable drafting chair that puts me just higher than the press.

I do have several other presses but my go to press will always be the Square B.
Old September 24, 2016, 05:17 PM   #8
erikk

I have 3 SDB's for my pistol rounds Others for rifle & shotgun & stand for them all
Old September 24, 2016, 10:23 PM   #9
sawdustdad

I have 3 SDBs as well--one set up for .38spl (for CAS), one stays set up for 9mm and the third is large primers and spends most of it's time set up for .45Colt (or .45 cowboy special).

I used to sit while loading on the SDB but once I got an Inline Fabrication stand, I've started standing. I really prefer standing. I normally load 4 to 6 primer tubes, then start cranking out the rounds. I'll do that for an hour, about 400 rounds, then, depending on how I feel, either quit or run another hundred. Seldom load more than 500 at a stint. Two to three evenings in a row, and I've got 1000-1200 rounds loaded.
Old September 24, 2016, 11:43 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

I sit.

My benches are 35" and 34.5" tall, with presses mounted to the surface (no stands or strong mounts).
A 24" bar stool is the perfect height for me.

As for the SDB... if you reload more than just 9mm, I think the 550B is the better buy.
Old September 25, 2016, 12:26 PM   #11
Don P

Quote:
If I do anything I'm sure it will be the Dillon so I'm not interested in other recommendations. My question is about sitting or standing. I prefer to be sitting but I noticed in a lot of videos people are standing. Looking for comments on what works best. Have you tried both ways and found one better than the other?
I have a Dillon 550 and mounted it to the bench, no strong mount and sit while I re-load. The foot print of the Dillon is large enough that in my opinion if you have a sturdy bench top the strong mount is a waste of money. Thus you can set your brass supply and bullet supply where you want them, so you are comfortable having them placed while reloading
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 25, 2016, 01:14 PM   #12
Ben Dover

I prefer to sit. But my bench swill allow standing with a regular chair, or sitting with a bar stool.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 25, 2016, 07:20 PM   #13
Mobuck

I built my reloading bench at a height appropriate for standing. I have to stand in order to do a visual powder check while loading.
Old September 27, 2016, 11:54 AM   #14
BigJimP

I sit --- using a couple of old bar stools. I adjusted the height of my bench to allow me to sit ..and see into the case mouth.