The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 31, 2014, 07:53 AM   #1
drjay9051

SBR Question

I have received a few different answers and still no clear answer. Call to ATF was not productive

Question is:

I have a Colt 6920 . I want to purchase a SBR upper in 300 BLK.
Now it is not a form 4 since I am not buying a complete firearm. It is a form 1, since I will be "building " a firearm, correct?

Now the question is as follows, as i understand it if i build a firearm on a form 1 I must engrave the receiver. So am iI required to engrave my pristine Colt lower with my information as i am going to switch between the .223 upper and the 300 BLK upper?

I know i can avoid this whole issue by buying a longer barreled upper but want an SBR just a bit lost on the legalities.

I know about constructive possession (intent) that is not the question.

The question is do i engrave the lower and do i use a form 1 as I am "building"
Old December 31, 2014, 08:36 AM   #2
BerdanSS

I'm pretty clear on most of the SBR rulings. But right now I'm slogging through the Trust/Personal decision Swamp, the part I know the very least about. Yes, That would be building and you would use form 1. Remember though that a rifle can not be made into a pistol, so you won't be able to "pistol up" your rifle while you wait for the tax stamp.

I know the it sounds like an ugly thing to carve your information into that nice lower, but here's an Idea for you. much nicer that slappeb on the side of the magwell ior above the FCG. The sbr engraving can be placed like so:

http://orion-arms.s3.amazonaws.com/s...ver=1412310539

I'm thinking about having mine engraved on the bottom of my trigger guard. I't integrated into the lower and cannot be removed.

Last edited by BerdanSS; December 31, 2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old December 31, 2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Sure shot wv

Yes since you are building you will use a form 1. Lucky for you, you can efile those and have it done in approximately 1 month. I paper filed my last one and it took about 4 months(with a trust).

Anywho...so basically you will do a form 1, once it gets approved you will have to engrave your lower. There's no way out of that.

Are you going with a trust or personal?
Old December 31, 2014, 10:54 AM   #4
drjay9051

Going the trust route. Simple, no CLEO sign off and allows for successor or co trustees (I can share the toys with others).

Used trust for suppressors. I believe the trust typically is faster than individual.

Oh yes: i read somewhere that I can engrave the upper? i'd think not as the lower is the "gun" but maybe with interchangeable upper I can. i'll look into this.
Old December 31, 2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Sharkbite

You may engrave the upper. Should you choose that route then every short upper you use must be engraved.

Most folks engrave the lower so they can swap uppers around and only engrave once

The bottom line is when thr gun is assembled as an SBR it must have your trust info engraved as the maker SOMEWHERE on the gun that is visible and meets the depth and size requirement.
Old December 31, 2014, 08:12 PM   #6
Coach Z

I'd be very careful about not engraving the lower. The lower is the firearm and the part that is serialized and recorded by the ATF NOT the upper.
Old December 31, 2014, 08:35 PM   #7
Sharkbite

Quote:
I'd be very careful about not engraving the lower. The lower is the firearm and the part that is serialized and recorded by the ATF NOT the upper.
That is irrelevant in the engraving of the SBR. With a different (16"+ barreled) upper on the lower its no longer an SBR. Its only an SBR with the short barreled upper on it. SO.... An engraved upper on a registered lower is perfectly legal. Go to the ATF's NFA page about engraving and it will tell you that you may engrave the Upper, Lower or even the barrel itself
Old January 1, 2015, 03:24 PM   #8
el_chupo_

It may not be what you are looking for, OP, but with complete lowers from Palmetto State going for $130-$150, why not just buy a complete lower, have it engraved and then you have a complete SBR and a complete Colt?

At the end of the day you keep your factory gun pretty, and have an inexpensive, but solid functional receiver for all the fun stuff?
Old January 1, 2015, 04:19 PM   #9
Sharkbite

This^^^^
Quote:
It may not be what you are looking for, OP, but with complete lowers from Palmetto State going for $130-$150, why not just buy a complete lower, have it engraved and then you have a complete SBR and a complete Colt?
Old January 1, 2015, 08:03 PM   #10
BerdanSS

I through in with Shark and chupo as well. Palmetto has quality lowers, and excellent prices.
Old January 3, 2015, 07:32 PM   #11
Elkins45

You cannot engrave the upper. You can engrave the barrel. There's a difference.

That's what I did on my SBR and for exactly the same reason: I didn't want to deface my Colt lower for when the original upper is reinstalled. I chose my Colt as my SBR platform over just buying a cheap lower for a reason...because I wanted maximum quality so I don't have to worry about it being out of spec or wearing out, or cracking. I don't want to have to spend the $200 on another stamp.
Old January 3, 2015, 07:48 PM   #12
Elkins45

Quote:
1) On the Frame or Receiver the Serial number;
2) on the frame, receiver, or barrel the following additional information;
A)The model;
B)The caliber or gage;
C)Your name or name of the Trust in the case of a Trust (no abbreviations are permitted for the Trust name);
D)The city and state (you can abbreviate the state with the official 2 digit state code)
I'm pretty sure that upper receiver doesn't meet the ATF definition of a "receiver". Based on where the serial number goes in 1) above only the lower does, because it contains the serial number. That's why I engraved my barrel and not my upper.
Old January 4, 2015, 09:32 PM   #13
dogtown tom

Quote:
Elkins45 ....I'm pretty sure that upper receiver doesn't meet the ATF definition of a "receiver"....
I'm pretty sure ATF Technical Branch knows that an AR has BOTH Upper AND lower receivers.

Decades ago it was determined that the lower receiver on an the AR was the most suitable location for manufacturer markings.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE