The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 9, 2013, 12:04 PM   #1
the1mu

Bringing Pistol into CA for 2 Week Trip

I am going to Califorina (Hollywood) with my family for 2 weeks in December for family wedding. We will be staying in a house (not rented-friend's place) and I would very much like to take my gun with me for HD while we are there. Of course I'd love to carry daily but alas...

Is it legal for me to take my handgun with me? Can I keep it loaded or does it have to be unloaded and locked in a gun safe? Can I carry it on my person while in the house? Are there any restrictions or relevant laws that I need to know about?

Thanks for helping me navigate CA nasty regulations.
Old November 9, 2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Librarian

Inside the place you stay, carry as you like.

Transport other places is unloaded, in a locked case.

Please do not bring any mags greater than 10 rounds.

See also http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Mo..._with_firearms and http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

The FAQ page is here.
Old November 9, 2013, 09:01 PM   #3
the1mu

Thanks! I saw the moving article but wasn't sure if temporary stay fit that it not.

Exact info I was looking for. I was thinking of bringing a revolver-I assume there is no restrictions on those? 6 shot, snubbie, .357 mag.

Thanks again!

Edit: after re-reading the moving article, it makes clear that it applies to visiting as well. I must have read a different article that did not contain that caveat. As such, I didn't so my homework well and am sorry!

Last edited by the1mu; November 10, 2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old November 10, 2013, 02:05 AM   #4
the1mu

One more question. My father-in-law was also happy to know he could have some protection in down town Hollywood, but I am a little concerned as his living arrangements are actually the parsonage like housing at a church. Is there separate laws governing handguns on church property or is it simply up to the church if he would be allowed to keep a handgun in the house he'll be staying in?
Old November 10, 2013, 02:26 AM   #5
Librarian

Private property is up to the owners/managers; nothing special about churches or related property.

There is some issue with schools on church property, but that's a Gun Free School Zone problem, and residences on that kind of property are exempt.

The FAQ page is here.
Old November 10, 2013, 02:34 AM   #6
ClydeFrog

Travel, gun laws, legal issues....

I'd check www.nra.org www.gunlawguide.com www.handgunlaw.us .

Clyde
Old November 10, 2013, 02:48 AM   #7
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Clydefrog, you may not know it, but Librarian is one of those Californians that are leading the fight against the anti-gunners in CA. He is as well versed in CA gun law as anyone I know.

Of the three sources you listed, www.handgunlaw.us is probably the best. But even Gary Slider (who runs that site) can't give you the nuances of CA gun law that Librarian can.
Old November 10, 2013, 04:06 AM   #8
the1mu

@ClydeFrog
I have looked at all three of those sites, however, none seemed to answer my particular questions.

@Librarian
Thanks for all your helpful answers-I'm glad that you are the resident expert. As such, I hope you won't mind me asking a few more clarifying questions.

I know in some states, there must be a certain type of sign designating it as legally Gun Free. In this situation would the church need any sign, only one on the whole property or on each individual building? Is there a database to look at online to find out or does my father-in-law just have to go and see; or does he specifically have to ask? Also, in the event that they don't allow handguns, I know some states don't have force of law and the only thing you can be cited with is trespassing-is this true of California?

I did read that there is no force of law, but I beleive that may be referring to CCW, not this particular situation.
Old November 10, 2013, 02:24 PM   #9
Librarian

Quote:
I know some states don't have force of law and the only thing you can be cited with is trespassing-is this true of California?
That is the current state of the law in CA as well. We don't (yet, I fear) have a law similar to Texas' 30.06.

A few CCW-issuing agencies have marked their licenses 'no carry where 'no firearms' signs are posted', but without placement, language, and size specifications I do not know how one might be expected to see such things.

The FAQ page is here.
Old November 10, 2013, 06:58 PM   #10
the1mu

Well, both myself and my father-in-law are happy campers right now! Now to order pepper spray for the whole family for when we are out and about (which will be marked as for SD and be under 2 oz.).
Old November 11, 2013, 12:22 AM   #11
WW2

When carrying in your car...

Remember in CA you must have the gun UNLOADED in a locked case. Ammo needs to be in a separate case (preferable locked). Neither can be accessible by the driver.

Locking the gun in the glove box or center console is considered concealed carry and requires a permit.

When carrying from your car to your house, or a range, the gun must be in the locked case and unloaded.

Some cities require that guns be in a locked safe or cabinet (DOJ approved) when not on your person while in your house.

If anyone under 18 can access your gun without permission then you are guilty of a felony!

Be careful!

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old November 11, 2013, 03:13 AM   #12
Librarian

Quote:
Remember in CA you must have the gun UNLOADED in a locked case. Ammo needs to be in a separate case (preferable locked). Neither can be accessible by the driver.
2 out of 3 incorrect: unloaded, correct. Separate container is not needed for the ammunition, and where you carry your locked case in your vehicle is unimportant.

Quote:
If anyone under 18 can access your gun without permission then you are guilty of a felony!
Incorrect.

The Penal Code is 25100, and has more conditions - significantly, that the minor actually gets the gun AND injures others. Mere 'possible access' is not a crime.
Quote:
25100. (a) Except as provided in Section 25105, a person commits
the crime of "criminal storage of a firearm of the first degree" if
all of the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) The person keeps any loaded firearm within any premises that
are under the person's custody or control.
(2) The person knows or reasonably should know that a child is
likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the
child's parent or legal guardian.
(3) The child obtains access to the firearm and thereby causes
death or great bodily injury to the child or any other person.

(b) Except as provided in Section 25105, a person commits the
crime of "criminal storage of a firearm of the second degree" if all
of the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) The person keeps any loaded firearm within any premises that
are under the person's custody or control.
(2) The person knows or reasonably should know that a child is
likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the
child's parent or legal guardian.
(3) The child obtains access to the firearm and thereby causes
injury, other than great bodily injury, to the child or any other
person, or carries the firearm either to a public place or in
violation of Section 417.
PC 25110 provides misdemeanor punishment for 'second degree', but felony punishment is possible for 'first degree'.

The FAQ page is here.
Old November 12, 2013, 03:39 AM   #13
62coltnavy

Just for clarification, a glove box or a center console in a vehicle is not a "locked container." So placing a firearm in such places will not comply with the law. However it is legal to put a handgun in a locked container into a glove box or console--as long as it is in a locked container it is legal, irrespective of where you put it, even on the seat next to you. But then again, locked or not, a gun container will draw unwanted attention, so use your common sense. Finally, if a police officer sees such a container and you tell him it contains a firearm, the officer may lawfully require you to open the container so that he can ascertain that the weapon is actually unloaded (this used to be called an "e" check after a statutory subdivision, but then they went and renumbered everything....)
Old November 12, 2013, 09:09 PM   #14
WW2

Glove box with a gun

I would not put a locked case with a gun in a locked glove box. Too much ambiguity with the law. While it is technically true, a gun (not in a locked case) in the glove box is considered a concealed weapon.

So, librarian, you are saying I can keep loaded magazines in the same locked case as my gun and be okay when the police look in to that case?

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old November 12, 2013, 11:20 PM   #15
Librarian

Quote:
So, librarian, you are saying I can keep loaded magazines in the same locked case as my gun and be okay when the police look in to that case?
Yes.

A few officers are poorly trained or just plain stubborn, but the issue is 'loaded gun in public' and a loaded mag in the same case as an unloaded gun (no live cartridge in the chamber or fixed magazine, no live rounds in a removable box magazine inserted in the mag well) does not make that gun loaded.

See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/De..._in_California

The FAQ page is here.
Old November 13, 2013, 01:10 PM   #16
the1mu

One last quick follow up question- Is there a restriction on types of ammo?

I typically carry Hornady Critical Defense and since I'm bringing my revolver, I will be using the .357 mag 110gr.
Old November 13, 2013, 03:26 PM   #17
Librarian

No armor piercing, which Critical Defense is not. Otherwise, no tracers, explosive or flechette rounds.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Am...are_prohibited

The FAQ page is here.