The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 29, 2012, 08:37 PM   #1
armoredman

Make ABSOLUTELY sure of your shipping information!

I ordered a scope and rings from a company, and paid for UPS Ground shipping. They refunded my money and canceled the order due to the rings not being in stock. I said fine, I have rings, just send me the scope, was confirmed on three separate e-mails. NOT ONE E-MAIL SAID ANYTHING ABOUT CHANGING MY SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS! See, here we have PO Boxes, not direct mail delivery. if you put the physical address on the package, it doesn't go through with USPS, gets bounced back to shipper. If you ship UPS/FedEx, you use the physical address, not the PO Box.
I paid for UPS Ground, and used the physical address. So the shipper changed it to UPS Mail Innovations, where UPS delivers to the nearest major Post Office, and they deliver from there.
Coincidentally I have the e-mail confirming the order for the scope...on 4-30, not shipped until 5-3. The bold on the estimated delivery date is mine, the rest is copied from the UPS page just a few minutes ago.
Observe.
Quote:
This shipment is progressing through the postal system to the final destination.

Request Status Updates

Estimated Delivery:
Wednesday, 05/09/2012
Last Location:
DES MOINES, IA, United States, Friday, 05/25/2012

Additional Information
Package Actual Weight:1.2850 lbsPackage Destination: xxxxxPackage ID:xxxxxxx Package Sequence Number:xxxxxxxxxxxPackage Status:In Transit by Post OfficeProjected Delivery Date:05/09/2012

Shipment Progress
What's This?
Delivery confirmation information provided by the United States Postal Service.
Location Date Local Time Activity
DES MOINES, IA, United States 05/25/2012 11:36 A.M. Package processed by local post office
FOREST PARK, IL, United States 05/24/2012 12:47 P.M. Package processed by local post office
BELL GARDENS, CA, United States 05/22/2012 5:21 A.M. Package processed by local post office
PHOENIX, AZ, United States 05/19/2012 3:40 P.M. Package processed by local post office
DES MOINES, IA, United States 05/17/2012 9:37 A.M. Package processed by local post office
FOREST PARK, IL, United States 05/16/2012 2:20 P.M. Package processed by local post office
BELL GARDENS, CA, United States 05/13/2012 1:56 P.M. Package processed by local post office
PHOENIX, AZ, United States 05/11/2012 11:42 P.M. Package processed by local post office
05/11/2012 7:44 P.M. Package processed by local post office
---, AZ, United States 05/11/2012 8:35 A.M. Package returned to sender by local post office due to incorrect address. Contact sender for further assistance.
United States 05/11/2012 8:29 A.M. Received by the local post office
PHOENIX, AZ, United States 05/10/2012 9:38 A.M. Electronic Shipment Information Received for Package by Post Office
05/10/2012 8:14 A.M. Package processed by local post office
BELL GARDENS, CA, United States 05/09/2012 6:29 A.M. Package processed by local post office
PHOENIX, AZ, United States 05/07/2012 8:30 P.M. Package processed by local post office
---, AZ, United States 05/07/2012 2:00 P.M. Package returned to sender by local post office due to incorrect address. Contact sender for further assistance.
United States 05/07/2012 1:55 P.M. Received by the local post office
PHOENIX, AZ, United States 05/06/2012 11:25 A.M. Package processed by local post office
---------------------------------------------------------------------
UPS Mail Innovations Shipment Progress
Location Date Activity
PHOENIX, AZ, United States 05/10/2012 Package transferred to local post office
Tolleson, AZ, United States 05/10/2012 Postage Paid/Ready for destination post office entry
Tolleson, AZ, United States 05/09/2012 Package received for sort by destination UPS Mail Innovations facility
Carol Stream, IL, United States 05/04/2012 Package transferred to destination UPS Mail Innovations facility
05/04/2012 Package processed by UPS Mail Innovations origin facility
Carol Stream, IL, United States 05/03/2012 Package received for processing by UPS Mail Innovations
I contacted the shipper when I first saw that they had screwed up the shipping, and that it was going to bounce. They said the only thing they would do is get the item when it returned, and resend the same item by UPS Ground at their expense. The shipper only two days ago allowed that they may have made an error, and allowed me to submit a claim to begin processing on this item, which really isn't lost, it's just unstoppable. I have been talking to a Postal Inspector who is just as confused as I am, has actually seen a picture snapped by one of the machine cameras, and the return address is plain as day.
The long and short of it is I have neither product nor funds, and am not assured of receiving either. I can also state, and the Postal Inspector agreed with me - a 'scope in the tender mercies of Parcel Post for close to -a month is not likely to be in usable shape.
It wasn't expensive, but I did want it, wanted it to test the short rail on the wife's rifle. I am not posting the shippers name yet, as they said Thursday morning it should be 24-48 hours to get the "claim" processed...I'll even give them Monday as a holiday. After that...
I will likely never order from this outfit again.
The moral of the story is, make sure the info is correct, even AFTER you put the order in.

The above was originally posted May 25th. Since then the package has returned to Phoenix twice more. I have instructed the Postal Inspector who has been following this to make sure that when the package is finally stopped that it be returned to Optics Planet. I had to contact them to request an update after the 48 hour timeframe had expired. I was told they need another 48 hours to "process my claim". This is unacceptable, and I have requested an immediate refund. I will also never do business with this organization again, and I will instruct others to avoid them. This is how they treat me for a $34 dollar scope, nothing real expensive,can't imagine what would happen if it was something truly expensive. By way of comparison, I ordered a large shipment from MidwayUSA some years ago, and a bottle of Hoppes came op-en during shipment, damaging some items. MidwayUSA had replacement items enroute the day I called them.
I have been told the Post Office will be asking Optics Planet for postage due on this item...
Old May 29, 2012, 10:56 PM   #2
BarryLee

It never fails to amaze me how companies can spend so much money on fancy WEB sites, logistics systems, advertising and then blow it all with bad customer service.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 30, 2012, 06:52 AM   #3
7jinxed7

Wow, thats crazy. It's just taking a tour of the country. I'd cancel the payment if it's on a card,but i see you already ask for a refund. Did they refund your money at least?
You think the PO could do something with the package by now. Thats why i use UPS instead of the PO they can't get their head on straight.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; May 30, 2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Clean Up
Old May 30, 2012, 02:12 PM   #4
armoredman

7jinxed7, I tried using UPS, paid for UPS Ground, but they decided to use UPS Mail Innovations instead, that's where everything went to heck in a handbasket. I've been in regular contact with the Postal Inspector who has been watching this, and she said the biggest problem is all the processing is done by automated machines, and they keep reading the label and shipping it on. HOW they managed to ship it all over the US is beyond me.

I sincerely doubt I will see my money again.
Old May 31, 2012, 09:28 PM   #5
bigalshootmupper

If you used a credit card, call the credit card company. I have had situations like this and the credit card company took care of it and refunded my money.
Old June 4, 2012, 08:01 PM   #6
armoredman

Ah, the Post Office actually managed to snag the beaten thing out of its infinite loop, and sent it back to Optics Planet...who THEN asked me if I wanted the SAME PACKAGE SHIPPED BACK TO ME? After a month in the loving care of Parcel Post, not offering a replacement, not an upgrade, just the same battered $34 scope that was far too expensive for them to send a replacement before this one came back to them. They must really be doing poorly in the marketplace to be that desperate for money. BTW, the 48 hour, (which migrated into 10 days with no answer), lost package claim was also never answered.
I informed them I want the same thing I asked for several weeks ago - my money back. I still don't think I'll see it. I know they'll never see any more of mine.
Old June 7, 2012, 06:40 AM   #7
7jinxed7

Good to hear they finally stopped it at least. They want to ship it again? Now that it's back in their hands they should give you a refund. Have they still not done that? I could somewhat see why they wouldn't refund if it's still in shipment since they don't know if you would get it after the refund,and end up getting both the scope and money. If they haven't refunded if it's in their hands theirs no excuse for it.
Old June 8, 2012, 12:47 AM   #8
armoredman

No refund yet, probably one of those 6-8 weeks things. They aren't answering my communications. Hope they enjoy those pennys they are squeezing, they will be the last they see from me.
Old June 8, 2012, 04:31 AM   #9
mete

I recently had a problem with a company looking up my address on a computer and changing the address on the package !!
The problem was that the computer program they used was 20 years obsolete !! Changes had been made back then for 911 introduction. Idiots .
Old June 8, 2012, 12:33 PM   #10
armoredman

The refund has occurred. I wash my hands of them.
Old October 1, 2012, 01:38 PM   #11
armoredman

In complete astonishment I have to report a further development, as this specter of poor customer service has been re awakened. First, I receive an e-mail of a credit to my account, to which I instantly answered that said credit had been processed back in early June.

Then they send me an RMA, requesting the scope I never got be returned forthwith!

Quote:
RMA 148167 for your OpticsPlanet.com Order 2974075 Reference 1806086 has been issued

Hide Details
OpticsPlanet.com Customer Care Team

TO:
"Armoredman"

Monday, October 1, 2012 11:00 AM

Thank you again for ordering from OpticsPlanet.com!

Below is RMA information for your Order 297XXXX Reference 180XXXX

==========================
RMA Details:

1 NcSTAR 2-6x28 Compact Riflescope, Matte Black SC2628B
Reason: Not Needed

==========================

The assigned RMA number is valid for 10 business days from the date of issuance. In order to avoid any unfavorable delays and ensure that your account is properly credited for the returned merchandise, please follow our step-by-step Return Instructions:

1. Pack the item(s) securely using the original packing material. Please note that we are currently unable to accept COD shipments. To ensure proper delivery, we strongly recommend choosing a carrier that offers delivery notification (e.g., UPS, USPS and FedEx).
2. Please include the "Return Summary" in the returned box.
3. Attach the "Merchandise Return Tag" to the outside of the box along with the shipping label.
4. Please insure the package for the full merchandise value and include any promotional materials, accessories, manuals, etc. that were included with the shipment.

You may reprint the Merchandise Return Tag and the Return Summary by following this link http://removed for security reasons.

OpticsPlanet.com processes all returns and exchanges within 10 business days of the receipt of the returned merchandise. Credit card companies vary in the time required to post credits back to a customer's account. Please consult your credit card company for additional information regarding credit policies. For PayPal orders, refunds will need to be withdrawn from your PayPal account to reflect on your credit card statement.

Should you have any questions please review our Return Policy at http://www.opticsplanet.net/our-policy.html#returns and do not hesitate to contact us.

If we can be of any further assistance to you regarding your order, please e-mail us at [email protected] or feel free to call our customer service line at (800) 504-5897.
Be sure to mention your Order 2974075 Reference 1806086 when contacting us.

Thanks again for choosing OpticsPlanet.com. We appreciate your business.
ARE YOU FRICKING KIDDING? I'f I gotten the damn thing I wouldn't have gone THROUGH all of this! This in response to an issue that started in May?
This is unbelievable...
Old October 1, 2012, 02:51 PM   #12
BillM

UPS Mail Innovations and their sidekick FedEx SmartPost are the spawn of
the devil. An un-holy alliance of ground and postal delivery---taking all
the bad points of each and combining them into one massive cluster@$#k.

I'm in ther same boat---if it's mail delivery it's a PO box, no residential
mail delivery here. Street address is for truck delivery.

Mail Innovations and SmartPost will NOT accept a PO box as a delivery
address, because it starts off on a truck. THEN they hand it off to the
post office, which won't deliver to a street address. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

There is a form you can fill out at the post office that links your PO box
number to your street address, works if they remember to look at it before bouncing the item back to sender.
Old October 2, 2012, 12:22 AM   #13
impalacustom

I think I'm confused, why will your postal service not deliver to a street address? I lived in a place for 8 years that never had a mailbox on the actual premises but a "community box" my address was a street address, 4405 N 1st, to be exact. I think I'm just confused but what do you mean about the street address thing?
Old October 3, 2012, 11:40 PM   #14
armoredman

The local contract Post Office will not deliver to a street address, saves on hiring drivers/buying trucks/gas, (THEIR gas), etc., so we all have to go to the post office for our mail. No choice in the matter. So everything that is small goes to the PO box, and everything that gets shipped UPS/FedEx goes to the street address. So when I paid for UPS Ground shipping to my street address, and they shipped instead via this abortion called Mail Innovations, my package was sent back as undeliverable, as there was no PO Box number on it.
The rest of the actions of the company and they're incredible actions is documented above.
Oh, by the way, when I responded to these e-mails I received an auto-reply that someone would contact me within 6-12 hours. That was 72 hours ago.

Really, don't trust these people with your money.
Old October 4, 2012, 01:44 AM   #15
Bud Helms

I think this story is a good one for General Discussion.

Moving.
Old October 4, 2012, 10:23 AM   #16
medalguy

Heh. Note to self: Don't order that model scope from Optics Planet for at least a year!
Old October 4, 2012, 12:30 PM   #17
langenc

I have had two occasions where somehow the MI got printed as MN or something, zip was on and correct.

Someone changed zip to match incorrect state.

Anone should know that a 5 digit number is correct and not two letters??? Zip may have even had 4 more digits added..
Old October 4, 2012, 12:43 PM   #18
XtremeRevolution

Sounds like a BBB complaint is in order. Companies don't like getting very many of those. Bad for business.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2
Old October 4, 2012, 02:11 PM   #19
FrankenMauser

My single experience with OpticsPlanet was enough for me to swear never to use them again.

More than 95% of their products are 'drop shipped' from the manufacturers/distributors, and there seems to be a LOT of information that gets "lost in translation" when OpticsPlanet forwards the order info for the shipment.

And, their delivery estimates? Nothing but absolute WAGs, completely independent of reality.....
Old October 23, 2012, 11:45 AM   #20
armoredman

They contacted me again and asked what they could do to "address" the issue. I responded with an offer, and they refused. Done.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:58 AM   #21
mete

I got confused last week when my friend picked up my mail from the PO .But he had a big box .I asked what that was - FedX .I said I don't give FedX my PO box only my street address !
So this morning a radio report about FedX and the great increase in people ordering online and the Christmas rush.
They were happy to mention FedX Smart Post so expect to get more confused in the future !!
Old October 23, 2012, 12:11 PM   #22
nazshooter

I'm a little surprised the Postal Service didn't just redirect it to your P.O. box. I have the same addressing situation as you and that's how it works for me.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old October 23, 2012, 04:18 PM   #23
K1500

Out of sock, screwed up shipping, and bad customer service....yep, sounds like Optics Planet.