The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 1, 2011, 08:47 AM   #1
ScotchMan

IWB Holsters

Here's my story. I have a Ruger SR9c and a Beretta PX4 Storm full-size I carry IWB (not at the same time).

I got a Remora holster first and I love it. I wanted something more "substantial", not sure why, just didn't seem like the Remora was a good all day every day answer.

I got a High Noon Public Secret IWB holster with straps. It is extremely well-made and high quality, but the holster itself is big and heavy and adds significant thickness to the gun. There are some things I wear that I can't conceal with the High Noon but with the Remora it disappears.

My question is, are there any IWB holsters with straps, not clips, that are a lot thinner than the standard thick leather? I am looking for the best of both worlds, the Remora's thinness and ability to conceal anything and the High Noon's stability and ease of draw and reholster.

Or am I thinking too much and I should just roll with the Remora as its damn near perfect?

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 1, 2011, 05:09 PM   #2
GURU1911

IWB HOLSTER

The "super-tuck" by crossbreed or a similar model made by tommy theis @ theisholsters.com.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old November 8, 2011, 12:52 AM   #3
toolguy2006

Scotchman:

For what its worth-I carry a Glock 26 daily, and have been more than happy with my Galco Ultimate Second Amendment. From a quick look at pictures of the two holsters you mentioned, this on seems about in the middle. I haven't had mine shift or do anything strange. Drawing the weapon is fine, though re-holstering takes a second.

The galco is made out of horsehide, as it is supposed to stand up to sweat better, and the material is only 1/8" thick. Also, the clip goes on the inside of your belt, and hooks around the bottom so the holster stays put if you have to draw.

Last but not least, I am a kinda heavy guy, 5'10, 210, and wear jeans with a light shirt untucked, and my glock sits on my hip.
Old November 8, 2011, 09:48 PM   #4
saands

Quote:
a similar model made by tommy theis @ theisholsters.com
Tommy's holsters are very reasonably priced, are very well made, are very comfortable, and show up amazingly quickly ... can't say enough good about them (or him).

Oh yeah ... made in the States, too!

Saands
Old November 8, 2011, 10:39 PM   #5
7jinxed7

Scotchman, I had the same issue with that style of holster. Galco summer comfort but same design. If you want a iwb but leather look for something with the straps spread out further. I think the big issue with those holsters are too many layers of leather stacked on top of each other. By the time you count the layers you have 5 layers plus snaps and another layer outside the belt plus the belt. That's just hard for some of us to conceal.

I went with the Comptac M-Tac but their are alot of all leather options too. Like the UBG -Canute,Tucker gun leather-The secret something like those. You could always go with clips and get a Galco kingtuck,Comptac M-tac Crossbreed Supertuck. I know you said no clips but those designs work.
Old November 9, 2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Graylight166

Might take a look at the new Tactipac Fushion-pac. I hate the clips and any bulk added by an IWB holster with my G19 (particularly wearing dress clothes for work daily with the shirt tucked in.
Old November 12, 2011, 06:26 PM   #7
ScotchMan

My Crossbreed Supertuck came in the mail today. Wearing it now. You guys weren't joking about it being comfortable, it feels like I have a Teddy Bear stuck in my pants. Quite concealable too, the Kydex being the only thing adding width to the gun, its on par with my Remora in terms of conceal-ability, but much more comfortable, and far more stable.

Consider me another convert!

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 12, 2011, 10:53 PM   #8
tgreening

I bought a Galco Kingtuk today for my XDM Compact. I've been carrying OWB and I'm still not sure on the IWB thing. For sure it's more concealable, but not sure if it's my "thing" yet or not.

I had considered the Crossbreed but in the end I had personal issues with the company/product I couldn't get past.

Religion and business don't mix and I see no reason why I should be a mobile advertisement for someone's religious belief.

Six weeks is too long to wait, and I shouldn't have to pay up front for the privilege. My customers would laugh me out of business. Anyway....

So far the Galco seems comfortable enough, but it hangs on to the weapon pretty tight at this point. Drawing is not too bad, but reholstering takes some effort. I'm hoping it will loosen up a bit. Adjusting for cant seems to be a non-starter. IOW, you're pretty much stuck with what they give you in that regard.

Nothing so far is a deal killer, but time will tell.
Old November 14, 2011, 11:52 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

holsters, brands...

A few top brands for IWB rigs include Mitch Rosen, Milt Sparks, Ted Blocker, Mernickle, Kramer Leather(Greg Kramer), Kirkpatrick Leather, Galco.

The LFI Blocker-Ayoob holster has a lot of merit. The horsehide Kramer rigs with Chicago screws.

Milt Sparks and the Summer Special is a industry standard(LE, spec ops, PIs, etc).

ClydeFrog
Old November 23, 2011, 09:14 PM   #10
ScotchMan

tgreening, just curious, do you have evidence that Crossbreed is trying to promote religion other than their logo? I don't like the idea of mixing the two either, but I kind of thought the logo (on the clips, which is what I assume you're referencing) was more of a knight/crusade feel. I realize that too is religious but I didn't make the connection until now. Just curious if there's other evidence than just the logo.

Also, mine came in somewhere around 2 weeks, maybe less. I think they say 6 weeks because they might get a lot of orders all at once and not want to fall short of promises. I imagine their actual average is far below 6 weeks.

Finally, I did the opposite, in that I started with IWB and haven't tried anything else. I'm way too paranoid of being "made" in my gun-unfriendly state to risk OWB. I highly recommend the Crossbreed after using it for a few weeks now.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 23, 2011, 10:36 PM   #11
saands

It is my understanding that CrossBreed was the original hybrid tuckable IWB holster, but that might be in error. Regardless, they are certainly not the only game in town today ... theisholsters and kholster both make that style, so it isn't Crossbreed or nothing ...

Saands
Old November 26, 2011, 12:27 AM   #12
tgreening

Scotchman: If you go to the About page on Crossbreeds website they come right out and say that the crosses are a religious reference. Other than that I don't know that they "push" religion in any other way as it relates to their business or products. Even so, it's enough for me. I don't wear a cross around my neck and have no interest in wearing one on my hip either. Some people don't mind and that is perfectly ok. For me personally it's less of a religious issue per se' and more about someone using me to promote views I may or may not agree with. It would be no different for me if the company logo happened to be that of the owners favorite football team.

If you got yours in 2 wks that's great. What I read here and on the website was that the delivery on the Supertuck was 4-6 wks. I was not willing to wait that long, and pay up front for the honor. If the products sell that well, then put some product in stock.

Anyway, that's my beef with the Crossbreed company and in no way meant to take away from their product. By all accounts it seems to be top notch, though a bit pricing compared to some similar products.
Old November 26, 2011, 12:52 AM   #13
golfnutrlv

Well, if you like Kydex, here are a couple choices.

http://www.blade-tech.com/NANO-IWB-pr-1141.html (buddy of mine carries his Glock 26 in one of these all the time. Great holster)

http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/tds/dt92757/KYTAC No experience with this one, but if you read and believe the write up...

Enjoy.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old November 26, 2011, 02:00 AM   #14
mumbo719

Quote:
a similar model made by tommy theis @ theisholsters.com.
I have the horsehide from Theis and am extremely satisfied with it. Tommy's prices very fair and his customer service is second to none.
Old November 26, 2011, 08:50 PM   #15
saands

I now have 3 of Tommy's ... all in horsehide and I'm happy as could be with them. I have had a few cheapo rigs that I tried and tossed, and I could have easily been one of those guys that says they have a box of holsters that they don't use. But at this point, I can safely predict that I am not going to end up with a box of expensive test left-overs ... I have the three I need and can't see buying any more unless I pick up a new carry piece.
Old November 28, 2011, 09:35 PM   #16
White Mamba

Look at Don Hume holsters. Top quality for half the price compared to Galco, Bianchi, Milt Sparks, etc.