The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Elkins45

Lee liquid alox--anybody brew up their own version at home?

The title pretty much says it--has anyone managed to concoct a home brewed substitute for the commercial Lee product?

All of the handgun bullets I cast these days are tumble lube designs. Like most handloaders and (especially) bullet casters, I like to experiment and try to save as much as I possibly can. Before I start experimenting I thought I would ask around and see if anyone has made their own.

Google searches have informed me that some folks have tried Johnson's Paste Wax, but reports on the results were varied.

Any thoughts?
Old March 2, 2010, 08:50 PM   #2
jburlingham

I haven't tried it myself, however I have been told about using a wood floor wax (like the ones used at bowling alleys) in place of the liquid Alox.
Old March 2, 2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Crosshair

I use a mix of Johnson's paste wax, Vaseline and Alox. The Vaseline keeps the paste wax from flaking off the bullets and keeps things a little sticky. Add a bit of Alox to the mix.

I just keep adding each part until I get lube that "looks right". If I had to guess on actual proportions it would be around 40-60 Vaseline/Paste wax. Add in a few squirts of Alox on top of that. Shake well and dump onto a tray to dry for a day or so with a fan blowing on them.

Fills out the lube grooves great when you put through a Lee sizer and the extra can be scrapped off the sizer and put in the next batch to thicken the mix.

Only downside is it tends to build on the seater plug so you have to constantly adjust your seating die to keep proper OAL.
Old March 2, 2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Stick_man

never have tried to make my own. There is a competitor out there that sells the exact same stuff for a lot less making it cheaper to buy than to try to make. White Label Lube sells it by the quart for about $11 plus shipping. I believe it is just a one person operation, but he is top notch. He also sells it on eBay (or you can just go there to get a link to his website) under reloading components.
Old March 2, 2010, 11:17 PM   #5
teeroux

I worked in the oil field for a good while and I have to say there is a definate similarity of liquid alox and some of the coating they used on drill pipe. It looked, felt, even smelt the same there was just a whole lot more covering the pipe.
Old March 3, 2010, 06:06 PM   #6
NuJudge

Lee Liquid Alox is just Lubrizol Corp's Alox 606-55

The Lee ALOX product is Lubrizol Corporation's Alox 606-55. Lee buys it in quantity and repackages it in tiny bottles, which costs a lot.

Alox 606 is a solid. Melts at 245 degrees centigrade. It is diluted with 45% mineral spirits to make 606-55.

You can buy the same stuff much cheaper in larger amounts:
http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

Lubrizol does not like Lars calling it "Alox," so he calls it "Xlox."
Old March 3, 2010, 08:52 PM   #7
res45

I use this mix and method,works great for all my pistol and rifle cast bullet loads. The two 4 oz. bottles of Alox plus the JPW and MS mix made enough lube to last a life time.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654
Old March 4, 2010, 10:05 PM   #8
Elkins45

Quote:
I use this mix and method,works great for all my pistol and rifle cast bullet loads. The two 4 oz. bottles of Alox plus the JPW and MS mix made enough lube to last a life time.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654
Thanks for the link--just the kind of info I'm looking for.