The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2019, 03:45 PM   #1
Nathan

Anybody setup salt bath annealing?

LINK

Looks like a very controllable way to anneal, especially if you go all fancy with a PID....LINK

Anybody here doing this? What pitfalls did you have? Looks like $200.
Old February 22, 2019, 08:54 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I put a PID controller (analog) on a Lee pot back in the 80's. Worked fine. You do need to run it on a thermocouple with fiberglass insulation that can withstand the temperature and the oxidizing environment or else expect to replace it periodically.

There's no reason to pay that much for an auto-tuning PID controller these days. You can get them for around $20 on eBay. The solid state relays are about $6; $9 with a heat sink. The high temerparture thermocouples are $8. You still need a box, the panel-mount thermocouple connector, the power cord and fuse and to do the wiring, but that's maybe another $30. Less, if you have some of the elements at home. Even buying a cutout nibbling tool you should be able to get in for well under $100.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 24, 2019, 12:49 AM   #3
oley55

Nathan,

I did buy a couple container of salts, the case holder for the pot and the thermocouple from the same link you provided. I bought their expensive thermocouple because I could not find another source for the 90 degree bent probe in the right temperature range.

I was concerned about the temp controls on the Lee pots and did put together a control box for accurate control. I bought the project box, PID, and relay from these folks: https://www.auberins.com/. There are cheaper prices for the components on ebay, but I had read that many of the controllers only came with Chinese instructions. Not having a clue I spent the few dollars more from Auber and am quite happy.

If you get a PID there is no reason to get a separate thermometer,

a precautionary note about the PID controllers. They do not show on the screen whether you are measuring C or F. there is a code for setting/programming them up on C or F but again no indication after the fact. So I labeled my box noting which scale I have programmed. Here's a link to info on building control boxes from various folks (including wiring diagrams for 110V/220V) and my efforts (and embarrassing problems) are on the last page. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...shed-!!!/page5

Last edited by oley55; February 24, 2019 at 11:40 AM.