The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2019, 05:39 PM   #1
spawndn72

Catastrophic Failure

I had a catastrophic failure with my S&W model 19-5.
I was using a load of 8.9 grains of AA#7 with a 158 grain LSWC with Winchester primers.

Accurate list loads as 9.1 to 10.1 grains with AA#7. I was looking for light loads and went with the 8.9 grains.

I have shot over 300 of these rounds with no signs of pressure.

I had shot one cylinder full, loaded a second cylinder and on shot 5, there was a large flash of light and boom, the top half of the cylinder was gone along with the top strap.

A few observations:
There was no additional recoil, this one felt like all the others.
No barrel bulge, I don’t think the previous round was a squib.
The hand was sheared off even though it was fully protected by the case that was in front of it.
The cartridge to the right was heavily dented but did not go off.
I use a Dillon RL550b and I feel like I have good technique, but anything is possible. This is the first time I have had anything like this happen.

I am assuming it was a double load but the hand being sheared off is bugging me. Could a broken hand have caused the revolver to be out of time enough to cause that kind of explosion?
Could .2 grains under the minimum load cause this?
Would 17.8 grains of AA#7 be enough to cause this much damage?

Any other ideas besides don’t be so stupid in the future?
Old February 11, 2019, 05:43 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

I'd be guessing, but I've been reloading for around fifty years now, so here's my best guess: double charge.
Old February 11, 2019, 05:47 PM   #3
Grey_Lion

got pictures?
Old February 11, 2019, 06:03 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

I don't believe a double charge (17.8 grains) of AA7 would fit in the case.

I've loaded Hornady 158 XTP's with well over your modest 8.9 grains. Too low of a charge would not cause a high pressure spike.
Old February 11, 2019, 06:10 PM   #5
spawndn72

I have pictures but I am doing this on my phone at present and couldn’t get them to post correctly. I will upload them when I get home.

I forgot to add that I pulled all other bullets in this batch and the powder charges in all of them were fine.
Old February 11, 2019, 06:54 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

I am assuming it was a double load but the hand being sheared off is bugging me. Could a broken hand have caused the revolver to be out of time enough to cause that kind of explosion? No. It beats the hell out of the revolver, but if the firing pin is aligned well enough to set off the primer, the bullet will align the cylinder (quickly and violently!). I've seen it first-hand with a Taurus that was striking primers on the very edge, and sometimes getting one to initiate in full-power .357 Mag loads.

Could .2 grains under the minimum load cause this? Not without a bore or cylinder obstruction.

Would 17.8 grains of AA#7 be enough to cause this much damage? Yes. And it will fit in the case, though somewhat compressed.
Old February 11, 2019, 06:56 PM   #7
BBarn

There has been some variation in Accurate's #7 data and sourcing over the years. Where was the lot of powder you were using manufactured?

And was the bullet cast or swaged?

And you were using 357 brass, correct?

Last edited by BBarn; February 11, 2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old February 11, 2019, 07:43 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Spawndn72,

Double Charge is most likely. Western Powder gives Acccurate No.7 a bulk density of ±3.6%. At the dense end and with the Sierra JSP FP, QuickLOAD says it will be just 96% case fill. Other bullets would need as much as 10% compression which wouldn't fly. So this is partly luck of the draw.

After tweaking QuickLOAD to match the manual pressure, I get 24,500 psi with 8.9 grains. 178,000 psi with 17.8 grains. Easy to blow a gun with that.

Failure to advance the index plate would be the easiest error with the 550 type press as a moment's distraction could make you lose your place It is also possible or forget to empty a case of powder if you've had to do something out of sequence to make a correction. Take a look at Inline Fabrication's lighting for your press. Those or some other lighting arrangement will help you look in every case before you set the bullet on it.

Sorry to hear of the loss of the gun. Hope you weren't injured.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 11, 2019, 08:43 PM   #9
spawndn72

Answering questions:

Bullets were "Extreme Bullets" hardcast 158 gr LSWC with an overall length of 0.724
Not asked, but the cartridge length is 1.595
Powder was made in USA, Miles City, Montana
I was not hurt, not even a scratch. I was very lucky. I was also shooting on my property with no one around so no one else was hurt either.
Picture:
Untitled
Old February 11, 2019, 09:09 PM   #10
std7mag

I highly doubt an out of time issue.
I've had jump fires in my Walker with 50gr of FF without this. Still scary as heck!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 11, 2019, 09:10 PM   #11
reynolds357

Double charge or squib. I favor double.
Old February 11, 2019, 10:15 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

It looks like a typical double charge result to me. When a squib leaves a bullet stuck in the barrel it can blow the chamber, but you usually get a bulge in the barrel and, of course, the barrel remains obstructed.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 11, 2019, 10:22 PM   #13
std7mag

I'm sure it was attention getting none the less!!!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 11, 2019, 10:36 PM   #14
disseminator

Wow, glad your ok. Thanks for posting this.

It's good for all of us to be reminded of the consequences of making a mistake.
Old February 12, 2019, 06:13 AM   #15
jetinteriorguy

I just went through this last spring, the best I could figure was a lot of slightly overcharged rounds with Titegroup weakening the metal and one double charge to finally blow the top off. After over 30 years of reloading this was my first incident. I got rid of all the Titegroup and have completely revamped my method of using my progressive press to prevent this from happening in the future. Luckily now one was hurt, but I was so embarrassed.
Old February 12, 2019, 09:07 AM   #16
spawndn72

Thanks for the information everyone.
I am extremely careful with my reloading, but I guess this one just got past me. Time to re-evaluate things.

UncleNick,
I have ordered lighting.
Old February 12, 2019, 10:54 AM   #17
F. Guffey

Spawn72, same old story; suddenly and all at once with no warning. I did not win friends and or influence enemies but one reloader/shooter insisted on standing next to me at the firing range while shooting his reloads. He locked his Model 66 357 S&W up with a bullet that stuck in the throat of his barrel. He could not pull the trigger, he could not rotate the cylinder, he could not pull the hammer back' it was plain and simple. He loaded one case with a primer and bullet with no powder.

I stopped, put my stuff up and then started helping him. I drove the bullet back our of the barrel and into the case in the cylinder. I opened the cylinder and then cleared his cylinder of cases and unfired ammo. "AND THEN?" He began loading the cylinder with 6 more rounds and I asked him how many of the cases had powder, too much powder, not enough powder???? etc.. We offered him ammo, we offered to help him tools, components and lesson. It was not long before he got mad and left.

He was convinced there was nothing that could be done to check his ammo once the bullet was seated. I disagreed; I explained to him he could have weighed his cases, primers, bullets and powder before loading, after loading he could have weighed the gross weight of the rounds to determine the amount of powder in each.

I could only figure there was something exciting about pulling the trigger without knowing what was going to happen. Had he stayed and continued to shoot I we were leaving.

Years ago a member insisted on shooting reduced loads in his 257 Weatherby; he rendered the rifle scrap, The rifle shattered like glass; and they said "it must have been a double load".

Bruce Hodgdon came to our house one day; My oldest brother was shooting 10 ft. high into a river bank, the rifle was a Model 70 270. It was before 1970. the bolt had to be hammered open etc.

There was no "musta been a double change", Long story.

F. Guffey
Old February 12, 2019, 11:10 AM   #18
RC20

Spanddn72: Glad you are ok. Back in the 70s I think I poped off a squib into a Rugger 44 mag and then follow up shot with no issues. Lesson in shooting to fast and reloads (though it applies to any shooting) - once I realized what I possibly did despite the 85 degree heat I went cold.

Unclenick: Thanks for the data and running the calcs. I had not a clue what a double charge would do pressure wise so just looking at the answers.

Me, I like data (and fact of course) - even if at times I get egg on my face thinking I know something I don't.

Question: What is the HAND item that is being refereed to. I though I knew pistol parts and names of those but that is ?
Old February 12, 2019, 11:21 AM   #19
spawndn72

RC20,

The hand is the arm that moves up when you cock the gun. It rotates the cylinder into place.
Old February 12, 2019, 11:38 AM   #20
RC20

Thank you. Now I know what to look for parts wise and details.

I think I just called it the arm. Never had a reason to replace one.
Old February 12, 2019, 01:36 PM   #21
IMtheNRA

Couldn't a crack in a fatigued cylinder lead to this sort of failure as well?
Old February 12, 2019, 01:52 PM   #22
spawndn72

Quote:
Couldn't a crack in a fatigued cylinder lead to this sort of failure as well?
I don't know, but I think the replacement for this is going either be a new model 66 or a new model 686.
Old February 12, 2019, 02:21 PM   #23
T. O'Heir

"...went with the 8.9 grains..." Which is below minimum. Not enough to cause that damaged though. The 17.8 certainly could.
The Max load pressure is 33,228 PSI. 66,456 PSI at a double charge of 20.2. Still a lot of 'ifs' involved though.
"...thought I knew pistol parts..." Isn't a pistol and the Hand is the wee part that rotates the cylinder.
Old February 12, 2019, 02:38 PM   #24
stephen426

Wow! Glad you are okay. Sorry about your gun.
Old February 12, 2019, 03:43 PM   #25
FrankenMauser

Looks like a double-charge to me.

As Unclenick stated, bore obstructions usually result in barrel damage, as well - a bulge or lodged bullet(s), at a minimum. But, bore obstructions usually don't result in total destruction of the top strap and cylinder. More often than not, they just end up as bulges and cracks.