The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 3, 2019, 11:37 PM   #1
BusGunner007

Browning Buckmark a good choice...?

Never had one.
Good to go?

Reliable?
Accurate?
Easy to clean?
Old January 3, 2019, 11:50 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

Yes, very good pistol. Don't get too wrapped up in the desire to take it apart. Many think they need to take it apart to clean it. Even when Browning advises against it. What you can't clean with a cloth, brush, or Q-tip can be cleaned sufficiently with a blast of Aerosol gun scrubber.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 4, 2019, 12:03 AM   #3
Oliver Sudden

Mine has filled all my requirements for a 22 pistol.
Old January 4, 2019, 02:08 AM   #4
NoSecondBest

I had three of them all at one time. I shot them in silhouette and then shot them in Sportsman Team Challenge matches. Two of them got shot extensively, and one mostly used as a back up at matches if needed (it never was). I shot those guns from around 1990 into the early 2000's and had at least three-hundred thousand rounds fired out of them. Other than changing an extractor, ejector, buffer, or spring on rare occasions I never had one fail at a match. They were the most accurate rimfire semi autos I ever owned, and that includes several High Standards and two model 41s. I set several records with them and won five consecutive state and two regional titles with them. I fired many, many 40x40s with them and quite a few 60x60s. When I quit shooting team challenge and retired I sold them to friends who still shoot them today at local matches. I have never seen anything even close to them when you compare quality to cost. You'd have to buy a Pardini to get anything you'd call "better". Just my experience, but that's quite extensive. Those were the Buckmark Silhouette models and I cut the barrels down to 6" when I got out of silhouette and started team challenge with them.
Old January 4, 2019, 06:40 AM   #5
mikejonestkd

A buckmark is an excellent choice for a 22 auto.
I have two of them and they shoot well, are reliable and accurate.

I finally had a few issues with my camper model after about 110,000 rounds. I called Browning USA and they shipped me a whole new top end to the handgun at no cost. That is what I call great customer service!

Buy with confidence.
Old January 4, 2019, 09:18 AM   #6
dahermit

There are two features on my Buckmark I do not like. 1. It cannot be field stripped without tools like the Ruger autos can be. 2. It has a plastic part that can be lost and/or deteriorate and at some point need to be replaced...I have no faith in plastic parts. Other than that, I am generally happy with my Buckmark.
Old January 4, 2019, 09:21 AM   #7
tallball

Mine is a great shooter. The trigger and sights are excellent. I think I got it for around $300 lightly used. I don't know how many thousands of rounds I've put through it. It's probably my most accurate handgun.
Old January 4, 2019, 09:50 AM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer

Yep, don't take it too far apart if you are not a gunsmith or really good. Don't ask how I know.

I like mine.
Old January 4, 2019, 10:20 AM   #9
ms6852

I've had one for several years and shot it so many times I finally had to get a new barrel and firing pin. Very very accurate and basically shoots anything that you feed it. Just stay away from the hypervelocity rounds and the plastic thingy someone mentioned known as the buffer will last for ever, as I still have the original one. As far as breaking down never take off the grips because than the main springs and magazine disconnector fall out and they are a bear to fix. Eventually you will have to clean it which I do about every 500 to 600 rounds before I begin to have light strikes. It is just a matter of removing the two screws on top and blasting the firing pin housing and blow air into it to make sure the firing pin is not gunked up and use solvent. You tube has many videos and very easy to follow. Your other choice would be the Ruger MKIV just as equally accurate and reliable. The only reason I chose the Browning Buckmark was because I like how the URX grips felt in my hand, no other reason.
Old January 4, 2019, 12:56 PM   #10
scottycoyote

great gun, very accurate and well balanced. Ive never tried to take mine apart nor have i needed to. Other than scrubbing the chamber with a toothbrush (easy to do because of the nature of the slide) i havent needed to even clean mine
Old January 4, 2019, 02:18 PM   #11
CLYA

At least, if you do need to take it apart, there are numerous videos and parts schematics on the internet. As well as parts available. I have a Browning Challenger II, that's pre-Buckmark, but a lot of parts and placement are similar, minus the plastic piece.
Old January 4, 2019, 03:17 PM   #12
HighValleyRanch

The new buffers are not a drop in fit for the older Buckmarks, but they can be modified to work.
Old January 4, 2019, 03:29 PM   #13
tallball

I just clean mine without field stripping it after a range session. About once a year I will unscrew the two allen bolts at the top and field strip it for a more thorough cleaning. It's not a big deal. I take the top off inside of a plastic bag in case the small extractor spring decides to shoot across the room.

I also own a Ruger Mark. I mildly prefer the sights and trigger of the Buck Mark, but you really can't go wrong with either one.
Old January 4, 2019, 04:33 PM   #14
larryf1952

Quote:
Yep, don't take it too far apart if you are not a gunsmith or really good. Don't ask how I know.
I bought a stainless Camper UFX a couple of years ago. I love the little gun. I put a Dawson FO front sight on it, and it's a great shooter.

I'd heard of what a nightmare it was to detail strip the Buckmark, and how removing the grip panels was akin to opening Pandora's Box. But, I'm mechanically inclined, so I really wanted to take the gun completely apart before I put it away. I had run about 900 rounds through it without cleaning anything, so it was pretty grimy.

I searched YouTube and found a long video of a guy who did a complete detail strip of a Buckmark. I paid close attention and took photos along the way. Long story short, I managed to detail strip and clean the gun and get it all back together without breaking or losing anything, and it still worked. VICTORY!

But, while it's not impossible for the average Joe to do, I wouldn't recommend it if you're hamfisted or at all not confident of your mechanical abilities. I've got a Ruger Standard Model, too, and it makes detail stripping that gun look like child's play.
Old January 4, 2019, 09:53 PM   #15
WanderingSol07

I have a Buck Mark Medallion, a beautiful gun! It is a joy to shoot, more accurate than I'll ever be. I never take less than 200 rounds to the range, if I had more magazines would need to take more ammo! :-) Looking for a quality holster for it, I'm a lefty.
Old January 6, 2019, 01:39 AM   #16
10-96

I have two of them currently. Well, my wife thinks one is hers. OK, fine, I have one and my wife has one. I think I've had one since the late 90's and have been talked out of several of them. Never again. I'm 99% positive I'd let my early 70's Model 41 go before I let another Buck Mark get away from me.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 6, 2019, 02:02 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

I have two.
They're good.
They're simple.
They're reliable.
Combined round count on mine is well over 200,000.

"Field" maintenance is easy. Just wipe the dirty bits and get back to shooting.

"Bench" maintenance is more involved for me than most other owners. I'm one of "them": I remove the barrel and top strap as an assembly (prevents need to re-zero), then the recoil spring assembly and slide (on newer models ['99+?], the firing pin assembly would come out too - but mine are the early style and have pinned firing pins). Every 4-5 years, I'll also pull the grips to clean the safety and mag release, and disassemble the magazines for a proper cleaning.

Other than normal maintenance items (buffers, springs, etc.), I've only had one failure. The lower round count pistol, a Target model, broke a firing pin. But... It continued to function for thousands more rounds, even with the broken firing pin.

I still run both original factory magazines, plus a factory mag from a first run Buckmark Rifle (1999? 2000?). There are also half a dozen additional magazines dating to between 1990 and 1996. I have not needed to replace a spring or follower in any of them.

My father had two.
Like an idiot, he sold/traded them.
He tried almost everything else on the market to scratch the .22 LR semi-auto itch again.
In the end, he bought another Buckmark. ...And is looking for yet another at this time.
Old January 7, 2019, 02:15 AM   #18
10-96

Speaking of Buckmarks, has anyone done a Heggis Flip on the newer ones- 2017-ish?

Are we permitted to speak of such things here?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 8, 2019, 09:56 AM   #19
black mamba

I've had one of the 10" bull barreled ones for about 25 years, and not only is it superbly accurate with just about every load, but it's never failed to eject. One inch ragged holes at 25 yds are the norm . . . and even with Stingers!

Old January 8, 2019, 12:01 PM   #20
Pahoo

I would say; YES

Quote:
Browning Buckmark a good choice...?
To answer your question, I would say; YES
Cannot help saying that in my experience, there are better choices. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old January 8, 2019, 05:08 PM   #21
BusGunner007

Something to study for a new purchase.
Thanks!
Old January 8, 2019, 06:49 PM   #22
stephen426

A Browning Buckmark was my second gun and I have had it for about 24 years. I bought the 5.5" standard model (slab side barrel) but have since changed it to the full bull barrel with the top rib for optical sights. Other than ammo issues, my Buckmark has been very reliable. It is still an absolute tack driver and has a great trigger out of the box. My only gripes are that the recoil buffer is very hard to find and the rubber end of the recoil rod has deteriorated. I think the cleaning chemicals have taken a toll on them. Overall, I'm very happy with mine.