The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2011, 10:23 AM   #26
GP100man

2 Types of lead foulin

Type 1 , blatent bullet undersized fit , accuracy is crap to start & goes south even more as gasses go by the sides (not the base) of the bullet & melts little droplets on the bore . This usually takes place very qwikly 20-30 rounds or less alot of variables here .

Type 2, is a little sneakier than type1 being if the shooter does`nt pay attention he/she won`t be able to tell the difference. Type2 happens when you push a lead bullet past it`s ability to grab the rifling & start spinin , it skids & upsets the sides & base of the bullet ,the rifling cuts a little channel for gasses to shoot by , thus if the bore is not checked often for strips (a dry patch run down the bore) it`ll apper as type 1 leading ! & the shooter will not have this important peice of info !!!

Now we get into an interesting scenario , how many times have we heard "my revolver leads the first inch of the barrel" ????

This takes some time & care to measure the cyls. & bore & I`ll bet a dollar against a donut the throats are smaller than the bore ! & Typ1 is started from the throat of the cyl to the time the base obturates enuff to seal the bore , if the lead is soft enuff or enuff pressure is generated .

"my barrel leads 1/2 way up the bore " could be a bad bore or when they screwed the barrel to the frame it caused a constriction , very common problem across the board !!! & after the bullet passes the constriction Type 2 begins in midbore .

"my barrel leads at the muzzle" again a ruff bore or badly cut bore , but the first thing to do (if all of our measurements check out) is to change lubes , either your lube is to hard , gettin burnt up or blown away . Again alot of variables here !!! look at the muzzle crown there should be a lube star .

These are my views & not a complete compilation of em either ! Just a general overview !!!

There`s alot of variables in cast bullets , but the old man said ya gotta shoot lead down a funnel & if the funnel opens up anywhere down the pipe ya gonna have trouble !! It holds true to this day still !!!!

YMMV !!!!!

Last edited by GP100man; February 27, 2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spelun wat Ls
Old February 27, 2011, 12:02 PM   #27
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

But it is just easier to shoot jacketed instead of taking time to understand that lead bullets CAN be pushed hard....WELL past 1200 fps.

(The above statement is sarcasm, just in case you didn't catch it )

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 27, 2011, 12:18 PM   #28
GP100man

A man is limited only by his imagination !!!
Old February 27, 2011, 12:19 PM   #29
1chig

im about an hour and a half away from midway, not to bad
Old February 27, 2011, 12:20 PM   #30
zippy13

Since I've never loaded with mag small pistol primers, I checked out the Alliant Reloader's Guide to see where they might be used. Guess what… none of their loads call for mag small pistol primers!
Old February 27, 2011, 08:57 PM   #31
GP100man

Manuals

& the next manual will use nuttin but mag primers