The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 8, 2009, 10:21 PM   #1
KJr

Lighted Powder Measure

When I am charging my casings, I slow down and watch the powder flow into evert case. I am considering adding a very small (maybe a lazer pointer) light directed to the back of the bottom of the powder tube, to assist in viewing the powder flow. Has anyone else tried this and did it work?

KJr
Old November 8, 2009, 11:15 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Don't use a laser pointer. Go with a bottom-of-the-line 3mm LED (600-2000 mcd). If you use a 'super bright' (9k-15k mcd) it'll give you headaches. With a properly wired LED, you can run the thing off a pair of AAA batteries for years, with intermittent usage.

If you really want to challenge yourself, you could even go with some super-dim SMD LEDs, and build an array. (Surface-Mount, microscopic, hard to solder, good knowledge of compatibility requirements needed, not for the average person.)
Old November 9, 2009, 03:46 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

You could buy one of those little goose neck white LED flashlights and tape or Velcro it to the measure, then bend the light to the appropriate position. To answer your question, no. It never occurred to me to watch it fall. I would also caution you that changing the drop speed will alter how the stuff packs into the case. Perhaps alter how the measure meters the powder weight? Double-check it isn't giving you a problem with any of that?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle